C4 Forums | Control4

C4 driver for nVidia Shield

videostorm

Thanks to msgreenf I'm running the newest driver and the mini apps.  My functionality is back for both the Shield home screen and Kodi. Can anyone explain how the press hold function works? I have it set for long but when I use the select button on my Control4 remote it just opens the app as it always has.  I assume that this is used for moving icons around on the screen as the original Shield remote does.

Not sure if this has ever been shared, but if you don't want to go through the trouble of debugging an app to find the QLAUNCH command, and you have the app on your android phone, there's an app called "Fully" kiosk browser that's meant to lock the android device to only a specific app - well, as part of that, if you use single app mode, it shows the QLAUNCH command for an app.  I quickly found the updated QLAUNCH for the peloton app by using my phone.  Saved the time of debugging it...

• 2 weeks later...

So after using the miniapps for the past week I'm finding they don't quite work well with initial boot up.  I have an Epson projector coming off my Anthem processor.  When I select WATCH Netflix for example (using my Shield) when room power is off, I get a blank black screen until I hit WATCH Netflix 2 more times and then it pops on.  I'm not sure how to correct this.  I've tried adding programming for when the room turns on to select that source again but that isn't working.  I've submitted a ticket yesterday to Video storm and checked out some of the links on HDMI handshaking but the example in the link didn't help because I'm not using the Netplay version and restarting the application after a delay is not a programmable option.  I've tried using a delay with reselecting the same video source in programming but that doesn't work either.

2 hours ago, drmark12pa said:

So after using the miniapps for the past week I'm finding they don't quite work well with initial boot up.  I have an Epson projector coming off my Anthem processor.  When I select WATCH Netflix for example (using my Shield) when room power is off, I get a blank black screen until I hit WATCH Netflix 2 more times and then it pops on.  I'm not sure how to correct this.  I've tried adding programming for when the room turns on to select that source again but that isn't working.  I've submitted a ticket yesterday to Video storm and checked out some of the links on HDMI handshaking but the example in the link didn't help because I'm not using the Netplay version and restarting the application after a delay is not a programmable option.  I've tried using a delay with reselecting the same video source in programming but that doesn't work either.

We just released a new driver version (19 / 3.6) which addresses this.  The latest Shield os takes a little longer to wake from sleep, so we made the launch delay longer to compensate (from 500ms to 1000ms).  We also added the "AppDelay" property to allow you to adjust this yourself if needed.

Latest driver is on our web site as always.

On 5/6/2020 at 11:24 AM, videostorm said:

We just released a new driver version (19 / 3.6) which addresses this.  The latest Shield os takes a little longer to wake from sleep, so we made the launch delay longer to compensate (from 500ms to 1000ms).  We also added the "AppDelay" property to allow you to adjust this yourself if needed.

Had the driver updated to 3.6 and still having the same issue. I've tried adjusting the delay between 1000ms and 5000ms and same thing.  I have to hit WATCH again or hit some of the remote arrows to get the screen up otherwise black screen....

On 5/6/2020 at 12:24 PM, videostorm said:

HOORAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!!  The default 1000 was still too slow for my Shield but 2000 works just fine. I didn't bother trying anything in between as the TV still takes several seconds longer than that to display an image.  The Disney Plus and Hulu UMDs are also now working and the built in Disney Now for the colored buttons still fires up Disney Plus too.

The only other option I think would be cool to have is a dual "On Room Off" action.  I'd like to be able to tell the Shield to go Home and then tell it to Sleep. I don't want to tell it just to go to sleep on "Room Off" as there are some that when they get tired they just hit room off without even stopping whatever they are watching thinking it will just either stop or go home so they can resume later. Yes I know it can automatically go to sleep after a certain amount of time, but I want it to go to sleep pretty quickly after the room is off. I can do this through programming with one small "issue:"  sleep is not a valid choice under conditional checks, just Power On or Power Off; Sleep apparently does not equal Power Off. I attached a screenshot of the conditional programming I used to make the sure the Shield is truly put to Sleep. So what I observe is this: when the Shield isn't used, the LED is off, I press Room Off after I have been watching Dish TV, after 5 to 10 seconds the Shield LED turns on, then a second later turns off. "Sleep Now" is the first option when Menu is opened. So when the Shield goes to sleep it apparently still registers as "On."  My next step is to experiment with variables to prevent it from waking up the Shield just to put it back to sleep. lol

Thank you @videostorm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screenshot (1186).png

13 hours ago, Eric Stiff said:

HOORAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!!  The default 1000 was still too slow for my Shield but 2000 works just fine. I didn't bother trying anything in between as the TV still takes several seconds longer than that to display an image.  The Disney Plus and Hulu UMDs are also now working and the built in Disney Now for the colored buttons still fires up Disney Plus too.

The only other option I think would be cool to have is a dual "On Room Off" action.  I'd like to be able to tell the Shield to go Home and then tell it to Sleep. I don't want to tell it just to go to sleep on "Room Off" as there are some that when they get tired they just hit room off without even stopping whatever they are watching thinking it will just either stop or go home so they can resume later. Yes I know it can automatically go to sleep after a certain amount of time, but I want it to go to sleep pretty quickly after the room is off. I can do this through programming with one small "issue:"  sleep is not a valid choice under conditional checks, just Power On or Power Off; Sleep apparently does not equal Power Off. I attached a screenshot of the conditional programming I used to make the sure the Shield is truly put to Sleep. So what I observe is this: when the Shield isn't used, the LED is off, I press Room Off after I have been watching Dish TV, after 5 to 10 seconds the Shield LED turns on, then a second later turns off. "Sleep Now" is the first option when Menu is opened. So when the Shield goes to sleep it apparently still registers as "On."  My next step is to experiment with variables to prevent it from waking up the Shield just to put it back to sleep. lol

Thank you @videostorm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screenshot (1186).png

What setting are you using in Composer other than 2000ms and on your Shield?  My Shield initially lights up and light goes off when using miniapp.  Then have to hit WATCH again to get it going so new driver has not solved anything for me at all

1 hour ago, drmark12pa said:

What setting are you using in Composer other than 2000ms and on your Shield?  My Shield initially lights up and light goes off when using miniapp.  Then have to hit WATCH again to get it going so new driver has not solved anything for me at all

Can you open a ticket via our support system?  Please include your driver LUA log for the problematic wakeup sequence.

1 hour ago, drmark12pa said:

This is how the driver is setup in my system and the related programming.  The programming at the top is there for when the power glitches and the Shield reboots.  I wired the 12V output to the common on a relay and the N.O. of the relay to the contact sensor input. So when the power glitches, the relay will open and the system will know once it's booted that the Shield is now awake. I have to hit guide to close the IRUSB app because Android does not yet support background loading of an app. I have a 10 minute delay to make sure everything is fully loaded and the driver will be able to control the system.

Shield Setup.png

Screenshot (1196).png

Is the IRUSB dongle still required for the "new" Shield Pro box? I have an original Shield and the IRUSB dongle works great - about to add a dedicated Shield Pro for the theater room and just wanted to make sure nothing has changed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a recurring issue where the Shield puts my projector/receiver to sleep if it sits idle for ~5 minutes. This was happening on my original Shield that's connected through C4 via an Atlona HDMI matrix and I chalked it up to something going on with the HDMI handshake through the matrix. I just picked up the new Shield Pro that is dedicated for my theater and connected directly to my receiver and it's still doing this. I've obviously disabled all power options in the Shield, including the Stay Awake option in the Developer Mode menu and any CEC options in the Shield/receiver/display devices. Still getting the same behavior on both devices, oddly enough...

Is there anything in the VideoStorm driver that might be causing this? The IRUSB and C4 are the primary similarities between the two devices and I haven't been able to come up with a solution.

The only connection from the Shield => projector would be HDMI.  The only thing HDMI has is video present (is device awake or asleep) and CEC control.

If you have disabled the CEC options and device sleep, I don't see how the Shield could do anything to the projector & receiver. 

IRUSB itself would use CEC or IR to control the projector, but you would have to bind the IR in the driver for it to send codes (CEC is automatic, but you disabled it).

1 minute ago, videostorm said:

The only connection from the Shield => projector would be HDMI.  The only thing HDMI has is video present (is device awake or asleep) and CEC control.

If you have disabled the CEC options and device sleep, I don't see how the Shield could do anything to the projector & receiver. 

IRUSB itself would use CEC or IR to control the projector, but you would have to bind the IR in the driver for it to send codes (CEC is automatic, but you disabled it).

I have C4 controlling the display devices in both Shield setups. The IRUSB is only controlling the Shield. Hmmmm... I'm stumped.

On 5/22/2020 at 3:57 PM, BBLV said:

I have C4 controlling the display devices in both Shield setups. The IRUSB is only controlling the Shield. Hmmmm... I'm stumped.

Have you tried going through the watch sequence without the shield attached by HDMI? Attach another device to the HDMI input you are using for Shield, if the same is occurring then it isn't the shield. You could then connect the shield directly to the projector and repeat until you find the source of the 'sleep signal'

On 5/24/2020 at 8:12 AM, NextGenAV said:

Have you tried going through the watch sequence without the shield attached by HDMI? Attach another device to the HDMI input you are using for Shield, if the same is occurring then it isn't the shield. You could then connect the shield directly to the projector and repeat until you find the source of the 'sleep signal'

It's happening with a 2017 Shield and the newer 2019 Shield Pro. I'm experiencing the same behavior both in my theater room connected to the receiver>projector on the new Shield Pro as well as in my other rooms with Samsung/LG TV's with the older Shield routed through my Atlona HDMI matrix. The only thing both setups have in common is the VideoStorm driver (and the Shield firmware, but slightly different Shield hardware). My installer is coming over this week to help troubleshoot. I'll update you when we figure it out.

53 minutes ago, blackfiveo1 said:

I admittedly did not read all 18 pages, Do i need to get the PRO (with usb) to make this driver work? since i need the IRusb dongle? or can I go with the Normal? I dont need the space bump that the Pro provides

Yes, you need USB so the Pro is the one.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI for anyone who cares.  Got a TIVO Stream 4k to test, and with the OTG and ethernet adapter from one of my fire sticks IRUSB is working great (just like with the shield).  It seems to be a scaled down version of Google TV OS (not all the settings as the Shield has) and I could not get Netplay Home to identify but otherwise works great with IRUSB.

The streaming consolidation is interesting - looking forward to seeing how it works over time and if it keeps up with all my selections across the major platforms.

19 hours ago, poisenoire said:

FYI for anyone who cares.  Got a TIVO Stream 4k to test, and with the OTG and ethernet adapter from one of my fire sticks IRUSB is working great (just like with the shield).  It seems to be a scaled down version of Google TV OS (not all the settings as the Shield has) and I could not get Netplay Home to identify but otherwise works great with IRUSB.

The streaming consolidation is interesting - looking forward to seeing how it works over time and if it keeps up with all my selections across the major platforms.

For use with NetPlay Home, the identify step uses a multicast beacon packet on the currently active network interface.  Just check that only one interface is active (wifi is disabled) and that multicast isn't blocked on that network.

5 hours ago, videostorm said:

For use with NetPlay Home, the identify step uses a multicast beacon packet on the currently active network interface.  Just check that only one interface is active (wifi is disabled) and that multicast isn't blocked on that network.

I'll check again - I used it on the same net / interface that I previously had the Fire 4k stick setup with and did turn off wifi.  It showed connected via ethernet only and was reachable via ping and VMM from IP but never could get the UUID to broadcast.  I did note in the Netplay status window on the device a line in the summary that said "broadcast to interface XXX" failed.  I was thinking maybe this was blocked by Tivo's implementation as I noted they took away to set static IP as well.

33 minutes ago, poisenoire said:

I'll check again - I used it on the same net / interface that I previously had the Fire 4k stick setup with and did turn off wifi.  It showed connected via ethernet only and was reachable via ping and VMM from IP but never could get the UUID to broadcast.  I did note in the Netplay status window on the device a line in the summary that said "broadcast to interface XXX" failed.  I was thinking maybe this was blocked by Tivo's implementation as I noted they took away to set static IP as well.

Yeah, the "broadcast to interface XXX" failed is the reason.  Strange that they would block it, so many services need multicast / broadcast to work.  

1 hour ago, videostorm said:

Yeah, the "broadcast to interface XXX" failed is the reason.  Strange that they would block it, so many services need multicast / broadcast to work.  

Can we manually put in the UUID, and if so how would that be located?  I realize that might not help discovery but if all other things static such as IP would it still work or does Netplay require ongoing broadcast packets from decoders?

1 hour ago, poisenoire said:

Can we manually put in the UUID, and if so how would that be located?  I realize that might not help discovery but if all other things static such as IP would it still work or does Netplay require ongoing broadcast packets from decoders?

Give it a try.  You would have to enter both the UUID and the "static ip" of the device.  The UUID is the same format as your other devices.  Just change the MAC address portion to the MAC of the tivo.  The devices needs the UUID for the licensing, but otherwise would not need the multicast discovery pings if the IP itself is already entered.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.