C4 Forums | Control4

C4 driver for nVidia Shield

videostorm

@videostorm (or someone), can you confirm that this driver supports a LONG PRESS on the SR260's SELECT button? I'm currently using the Chowmain driver, but there is no way for me to get the Context menu in Kodi. I just want to be certain before I pay to my have my dealer to change drivers. Thank you!

3 hours ago, elee532 said:

@videostorm (or someone), can you confirm that this driver supports a LONG PRESS on the SR260's SELECT button? I'm currently using the Chowmain driver, but there is no way for me to get the Context menu in Kodi. I just want to be certain before I pay to my have my dealer to change drivers. Thank you!

Yes, our free driver (on our web site) supports this.  Make sure you are using the latest driver and IRUSB firmware.

20 hours ago, videostorm said:

Yes, our free driver (on our web site) supports this.  Make sure you are using the latest driver and IRUSB firmware.

Is there any place on the website where the current driver version is referenced?  Currently there are only three ways I know of to figure out the current version

1) It's mentioned here.

2) Download it again and try to update it in composer. It will either update or it will fail because the versions are equal.

3) Download it and open the xml to read the version number.

Having it listed on the site would save a lot of time. 

9 hours ago, Köhler Medientechnik said:

Hi,

i´d like to use the IRUSB together with my Shield 2017. However, when i boot up the Shield with the IRUSB app on autostart, it starts with the IRUSB app in front. Is it possible to start it in the background? I´m pretty sure when i tried it with a Fire-TV, it worked.

Regards, Thorsten

No, per the latest Android security rules our app MUST start in the foreground (because it interfaces with a USB peripheral).  That said, this will only happen on a power cycle / reboot.

BTW, you should not use any autostart tools or apps.  The IRUSB app must start itself, which it does within 5 minutes of a BOOT/REBOOT.  Any other method will not work properly.

3 hours ago, Eric Stiff said:

@videostorm Something I've encountered with custom programming.  The included screenshot of code will quite often act like a long press on the Circle button resulting in the situation in the photo instead of putting the Shield to sleep.

C4 Programming.png

Shield Long Press.jpg

Most likely, the "Push Enter" command you are using holds the virtual key too long.

You could just send the sleep command to the shield (QHIDCODE2000052\r), use the sleep timer, or send the short press select HID command (QHIDCODE2000065\r).

23 minutes ago, videostorm said:

No, per the latest Android security rules our app MUST start in the foreground (because it interfaces with a USB peripheral).  That said, this will only happen on a power cycle / reboot.

BTW, you should not use any autostart tools or apps.  The IRUSB app must start itself, which it does within 5 minutes of a BOOT/REBOOT.  Any other method will not work properly.

I've noted this as well. It would be really great if we could pick the screen that comes up with the power cycle.

25 minutes ago, videostorm said:

Most likely, the "Push Enter" command you are using holds the virtual key too long.

You could just send the sleep command to the shield (QHIDCODE2000052\r), use the sleep timer, or send the short press select HID command (QHIDCODE2000065\r).

It's actually the "Guide" command (mapped to Home which is the Circle button) when held too long that opens this menu.  I would most definitely prefer the direct "Sleep" command.  I'll punch that in and see how it does.

34 minutes ago, Eric Stiff said:

It's actually the "Guide" command (mapped to Home which is the Circle button) when held too long that opens this menu.  I would most definitely prefer the direct "Sleep" command.  I'll punch that in and see how it does.

The reason I want Cancel the current action and then execute the Guide (Home) command is to make sure the Shield is on the home screen before it goes to sleep. There isn't an option for it to go Home and then go to Sleep, it's just either/or. If I have it just go Sleep and then Home on Power On, the next time I start the app I was running before turning things off, it will start where it left off. I don't want that. Also, there have been times when just using "Go Home on Room Off" hasn't actually gone Home.  The biggest offender has been Amazon. 

Edit:  It looks like the only way to run a custom QHID command is in one of the custom app fields.

1 hour ago, videostorm said:

OK, thanks for the feedback.

I usually do a hart shutdown of media players using a PDU. That means it will come back on the main screen every time i power up. Not so nice...

31 minutes ago, Eric Stiff said:

The reason I want Cancel the current action and then execute the Guide (Home) command is to make sure the Shield is on the home screen before it goes to sleep. There isn't an option for it to go Home and then go to Sleep, it's just either/or. If I have it just go Sleep and then Home on Power On, the next time I start the app I was running before turning things off, it will start where it left off. I don't want that. Also, there have been times when just using "Go Home on Room Off" hasn't actually gone Home.  The biggest offender has been Amazon. 

Edit:  It looks like the only way to run a custom QHID command is in one of the custom app fields.

Use the Send_HID command.  The parameters are ABBBCCC from the full command.  Home is QHIDCODE2002035\r (A=2, BBB=2, CCC=35)

1 hour ago, Pounce said:

I've noted this as well. It would be really great if we could pick the screen that comes up with the power cycle.

Out of curiosity, what would you use? 

IMO anything full screen is disruptive, but that is the point (Android devs want to make sure you see it, ie know the app was loaded by the USB device you previously authorized). 

You do get a different screen based on which of our apps you have installed.  Install NetPlayTV (even if you don't use it) to get the basic "Thank you for using IRUSB" page.

5 minutes ago, videostorm said:

Use the Send_HID command.  The parameters are ABBBCCC from the full command.  Home is QHIDCODE2002035\r (A=2, BBB=2, CCC=35)

I considered that but wasn't 100% sure because it only references the CCC part when inserted into the script.

Screenshot (1237).png

55 minutes ago, Eric Stiff said:

I considered that but wasn't 100% sure because it only references the CCC part when inserted into the script.

I can now confirm this does not work.  I have to put the full QHID command in a custom app line and call them that way.  Also, I am now getting this repeating error code in the Shield LUA window (the filename is different because I pack Nvidia icons into the c4z so I'm not looking at Fire TV icons for my Nvidia Shield):

LUA_ERROR [id: 383][name: Universal Android Driver With Nvidia Icons][file: mediaplayer_android_irusb_shield.c4z][method: ReceivedFromNetwork]: [string "Lua Code"]:762: attempt to compare number with nil

This error goes away when I reboot but eventually comes back.

16 minutes ago, Eric Stiff said:

I can now confirm this does not work.  I have to put the full QHID command in a custom app line and call them that way.  Also, I am now getting this repeating error code in the Shield LUA window (the filename is different because I pack Nvidia icons into the c4z so I'm not looking at Fire TV icons for my Nvidia Shield):

LUA_ERROR [id: 383][name: Universal Android Driver With Nvidia Icons][file: mediaplayer_android_irusb_shield.c4z][method: ReceivedFromNetwork]: [string "Lua Code"]:762: attempt to compare number with nil

@videostorm Ok, I was wrong.  I did a hard reboot and when the IrUSB app started the error message came back.

2 hours ago, videostorm said:

Out of curiosity, what would you use? 

Puppies and kittens? Landscape photo? I don't know. At the moment what I see is an advert for Splash tiles. I just don't like seeing adverts.

While I'm on the topic the last one I installed the app showed weird corrupted names on the permissions acceptance dialogs. It had special characters in like picture icons. I tried uninstalling and clearing cache etc and it didn't clear. I'm not totally sure it caused any issues, but it was something out of norm I thought I should mention.

18 hours ago, Eric Stiff said:

That error message is an old bug related to the play status readback that sometimes shows up.  Please open a support ticket at https://netplay.freshdesk.com/  and post your lua log and the navigator commands you are using.  Hopefully we can finally isolate it to fix it.

16 hours ago, Pounce said:

Puppies and kittens? Landscape photo? I don't know. At the moment what I see is an advert for Splash tiles. I just don't like seeing adverts.

While I'm on the topic the last one I installed the app showed weird corrupted names on the permissions acceptance dialogs. It had special characters in like picture icons. I tried uninstalling and clearing cache etc and it didn't clear. I'm not totally sure it caused any issues, but it was something out of norm I thought I should mention.

Just install the NetPlayTV app.  Then the page will show "thank you for using IRUSB".

If you have corrupted names on the permissions dialogs, you need to factory default that unit.  Those dialogs come from the security subsystem of the OS (not our app), so if they are bad I would suspect OS corruption.

10 minutes ago, videostorm said:

Just install the NetPlayTV app.  Then the page will show "thank you for using IRUSB".

If you have corrupted names on the permissions dialogs, you need to factory default that unit.  Those dialogs come from the security subsystem of the OS (not our app), so if they are bad I would suspect OS corruption.

17 hours ago, Pounce said:

funny this corruption happened to me the other day too.  I just clicked the check box for ok and moved on.

4 hours ago, videostorm said:

Interesting. I actually think its due to your app somehow. This is a fresh out of the box 2019 Shield. Highly unlikely that the unit had issues. I'll reset it and reinstall.

15 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Interesting. I actually think its due to your app somehow. This is a fresh out of the box 2019 Shield. Highly unlikely that the unit had issues. I'll reset it and reinstall.

Yeah, let me know.  Not sure how it could be the app but if it is reproducible we can probably find the cause. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.