C4 Forums | Control4

C4 driver for nVidia Shield

videostorm

50 minutes ago, zaphod said:

So this allows you to now have IR control in a room with no C4 controller or other type of extender?  

To clarify:   IRUSB performs 2 functions in C4 (using our free C4 driver)

1. Fast IP control of the Android device (nVidia shield, Amazon fire, etc) including direct app launching via mini drivers
  2. A IR output you can use to control something else close to that device (the IR emitter cable is 3 ft long, although you could use an extension cable).  This is like an IR extender (think Global cache)

Both functions can be used at the same time.

30 minutes ago, videostorm said:

To clarify:   IRUSB performs 2 functions in C4 (using our free C4 driver)

1. Fast IP control of the Android device (nVidia shield, Amazon fire, etc) including direct app launching via mini drivers
  2. A IR output you can use to control something else close to that device (the IR emitter cable is 3 ft long, although you could use an extension cable).  This is like an IR extender (think Global cache)

Both functions can be used at the same time.

I think what ISNT clear is whether you need to have it plugged into an AndroidTV/Shield?FireTV to USE the IR output (from what I see/read yes you do, but it isn't clearly stated as such).

But back to topic why would anyone put in a nVidia shield? I have investigated this add infinitum.. 

Not that I don't think it is one heck of an awesome streamer and these drivers are great solutions for Kodi and droid control etc.. 

If you want Kodi, there are way cheaper boxes out there and running Linux (Openelec or Lireelec) that a super stable...

If you want PC games, why not just run Steam on a gaming laptop out via HDMI (with laptop in the game room itself)?  

Just curious why folks are getting them and how they are using their "shields"..for 4K games? Geoforce Now? what?  Cheers. 

9 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I think what ISNT clear is whether you need to have it plugged into an AndroidTV/Shield?FireTV to USE the IR output (from what I see/read yes you do, but it isn't clearly stated as such).

USB end of IRUSB ===> USB port on Android device

IR end of IRUSB ===> some other equipment to control  (TV, speaker bar, AVR, whatever)

If you didn't have an Android device, you could instead plug the USB end into a linux device like Raspberry PI zero.  You would do this if you WEREN"T trying to control a shield, just creating an IR extender.

13 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Nah nothing on a modded Commodore64 with a brand new german engineered C64reloaded MK11 board, two stereo chips and svideo> HDMI convertor.. :) 

Which has sold millions and people want it to be controlled for turning on off and video playback control - I don't say there SHOULDNT be an ATV driver either, just that both have a pain to control, and at least there IS an ATV driver ^_^

I've had a dozen requests to get a PS4 into the system just this past 2 weeks.

3 minutes ago, videostorm said:

USB end of IRUSB ===> USB port on Android device

IR end of IRUSB ===> some other equipment to control  (TV, speaker bar, AVR, whatever)

If you didn't have an Android device, you could instead plug the USB end into a linux device like Raspberry PI zero.  You would do this if you WEREN"T trying to control a shield, just creating an IR extender.

Hey that's pretty cool.. would go in any linux box right? 

4 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

But back to topic why would anyone put in a Nvidia shield? I have investigated this add infinitum.. 

Not that I don't think it is one heck of an awesome streamer and these drivers are great solutions for Kodi and droid control etc.. 

If you want Kodi, there are way cheaper boxes out there and running Linux (Openelec or Lireelec) that a super stable...

If you want PC games, why not just run Steam on a gaming laptop out via HDMI?  

Just curious why folks are getting them and how they are using their "shields"..for 4K games? NVIdia Now? what?  Cheers. 

Because you might want ALL of the above in a single, super fast and responsive box with a great game pad for less than $200.

Seriously, shield is an ideal solution for all those scenarios in a single low cost box   (best streaming, great Kodi/plex, lots of apps & games, streaming of pc games)

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

Which has sold millions and people want it to be controlled for turning on off and video playback control - I don't say there SHOULDNT be an ATV driver either, just that both have a pain to control, and at least there IS an ATV driver ^_^

I've had a dozen requests to get a PS4 into the system just this past 2 weeks.

Hey agree with you man.. yep bring on a decent PS4 driver for 4sure!!! The new PS4 4K pro is one heck of a beast. and superb gaming value.. is it any wonder you have had a myriad of requests! W 

6 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

But back to topic why would anyone put in a Nvidia shield? I have investigated this add infinitum.. 

If you want PC games, why not just run Steam on a gaming laptop out via HDMI?  

Just curious why folks are getting them and how they are using their "shields"..for 4K games? Geoforce Now? what?  Cheers. 

Or get a Steam player for that matter.

The point is that it's an incredibly powerfull device with lots of option and is arguably (hard NOT to argue it actually) the best quality AndroidTV out there.

Why buy a good watch if you can pick one up from a dollar store. Why buy a Mercedes when a Honda gets you from a to b just as well. Why get a computer when you can do it all on your phone. Different people will want different devices.

1 minute ago, videostorm said:

Because you might want ALL of the above in a single, super fast and responsive box with a great game pad for less than $200.

Seriously, shield is an ideal solution for all those scenarios in a single low cost box   (best streaming, great Kodi/plex, lots of apps & games, streaming of pc games)

Ah OK got it. We can't get the gaming streaming service here unfortunately which is a bit of a blow!! (and what its all about I think) :)  

1 minute ago, wappinghigh said:

Ah OK got it. We can't get the gaming streaming service here unfortunately which is a bit of a blow!! (and what its all about I think) :)  

I didn't actually mean Geforce Now (which is nice), but the local streaming from your PC to the shield (called GameStream).  You need a decent nVidia card on the PC, but it works well for most games.

22 minutes ago, videostorm said:

I didn't actually mean Geforce Now (which is nice), but the local streaming from your PC to the shield (called GameStream).  You need a decent nVidia card on the PC, but it works well for most games.

Actually you need a pretty good game machine for 4K HDR with at least a Pascal game card in it (details are on the Nvidia website).. but sure 2-3K would get you a decent Geoforce 4K HDR capable game machine or laptop right now. Sure. :) 

Point I was making is if you are going to go 4K HDR gaming, you need to spend the dollars ($2-3,000) on a game machinePC/notebook running in the background, that streams to the shield so might as well just buy a gamenotebook and plug it in direct via HDMI and be done with it. But sure each to their own. All good. W :) 

4 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Actually you need a pretty good game machine for 4K with at least a Pascal game card in it (details are on the Nvidia website).. but sure 2-3K would get you a decent Geoforce 4K HDR capable game machine or laptop right now. Sure. :) 

Well, its a given that you have one of those.  Can't live without a machine for VR these days :)

@wappinghigh the Shield is the best 4k HDR server there is. Stable HDCP 2.2 (I know that's important to you, haha) full 4k (not faux K) and HD audio (only streamer with full codecs for Dolby and DTS). 

The Pro version has IR built in, and works flawlessly over IR, but is 300 bucks. For $200 out the door, you get IP control with just the regular 2017 shield and the IRUSB. Strangely enough the video processing for streaming actually even LOOKS better than the roku.

My second room is getting one of these..and roku's are going out. Too sketchy. 

@Matt Lowe will be the integrator with this unit.

On 20/12/2017 at 6:29 AM, Jed Peters said:

@wappinghigh the Shield is the best 4k HDR server there is. Stable HDCP 2.2 (I know that's important to you, haha) full 4k (not faux K) and HD audio (only streamer with full codecs for Dolby and DTS). 

The Pro version has IR built in, and works flawlessly over IR, but is 300 bucks. For $200 out the door, you get IP control with just the regular 2017 shield and the IRUSB. Strangely enough the video processing for streaming actually even LOOKS better than the roku.

My second room is getting one of these..and roku's are going out. Too sketchy. 

@Matt Lowe will be the integrator with this unit.

That is AWESOME!

On 11/21/2017 at 3:58 PM, alanchow said:

Yep.  The shield is definately the best.  I'm looking forward to receiving our IrUSB device so that we can update our Kodi Full and Plex Full drivers.  Our recomendation going forward will be the Nvidia Shield for the best supported device for both since we can launch the apps.

@alanchow, can you say a little more about what might make this a better option than running Kodi on an HTPC? As you may recall, I have been unable to resolve an issue where some buttons are not working with my Kodi Full Driver. So, I'm thinking maybe replacing my Windows 10 HTPC with a Shield. What do you think? Will I need a dealer to set this up? Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.