C4 Forums | Control4

Simple Home Audio Solution

Gregf

Building a new home and have a simple home audio requirement.  Need some help sorting through dealers quote and suggestions

• i have 4 sources, including the desire to use my iPhone for Apple Music streams and for content like audio books, etc.
  • i have 4 rooms/zones, one of which I want to double as a home theater room.
  • i want to control all this with my iPhone.
  • would like matrixed control of sound
  • Not interested in other home automation options, like lighting, blinds, or thermostat, etc.

the dealer has quote (summarized for brevity):

• EA3 and an audio matrix
  • Couple network switches 
  • 15 keypad zigbee extenders
  • a host of additional nicnacks like cables, etc.
  • 3k to set it all up

my questions:

• why do I need the keypads?  They are firm that these are required to control the speakers throughout the house, that a zigbee mesh is required vs controlling the audio from my phone on my home WiFi .  This triples the cost of the  equipment and install price.
  • is control4 overkill for my basic audio matrix needs?

If this really is for Home Audio only, it is way overkill. If you are going to use it to control your home theater audio AND video, not so much overkill, but your bullet list doesn't add up, so I won't comment further.

C4 does give you very nice control of your home audio, but i agree it is overkill if that is all you want, unless full integration is more important to you than the cost - so a personal decision.

I have AudioControl matrix amps (if you want high quality amps, you will not be disappointed with these) in my system - which eliminates the need for an audio matrix.  I ran my home audio system (16 zones) for about 4 months before installing C4.  It worked good enough for me but not for the family, but i did have to use multiple apps to properly configure the system.  C4 integration really brings it all together very nicely and family is able to easily control the system on their iPhones, iPads and MacBooks from the C4 app.

Keypads are not necessary unless you want an EASY BUTTON in each room to mute, control volume or select music source.  So maybe put one keypad each in heavy traffic rooms.  My recommendation would be to install a touch panel in a convenient central location for controlling the audio and eliminate the keypads (unless you decide you want to add lighting, shades, etc to the system).  Then you will want keypads in the rooms with more automation.

My input for what its worth.  Good luck.

Just get VSSL A.6 - https://vssl.com/

6 zones of matrixed amplified audio with built in Apple Airplay, Spotify Connect and Google Cast.

You'll setup as follows

• 3 zones will be through the amplified outputs on the amp
  • 4th zone will be through the BUS output to your receiver in the home theater room.

If you want to add in control later on you can add in an EA-1 SR Bundle to your home theater to control the AV equipment in there.

Building a new home and have a simple home audio requirement.  Need some help sorting through dealers quote and suggestions
  • i have 4 sources, including the desire to use my iPhone for Apple Music streams and for content like audio books, etc.
  • i have 4 rooms/zones, one of which I want to double as a home theater room.
  • i want to control all this with my iPhone.
  • would like matrixed control of sound
  • Not interested in other home automation options, like lighting, blinds, or thermostat, etc.
the dealer has quote (summarized for brevity):
  • EA3 and an audio matrix
  • Couple network switches 
  • 15 keypad zigbee extenders
  • a host of additional nicnacks like cables, etc.
  • 3k to set it all up
my questions:
  • why do I need the keypads?  They are firm that these are required to control the speakers throughout the house, that a zigbee mesh is required vs controlling the audio from my phone on my home WiFi .  This triples the cost of the  equipment and install price.
  • is control4 overkill for my basic audio matrix needs?

I've got a C4 8 zone matrix amp and speakers points and home theatre. None is it is controlled by switches. I use my phone or remotes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, great suggestion on vssl.com. I will reach out.  To clarify, and sorry for the misprint.  The dealer was not suggesting keypads in all cases, but 10 “dimmers for light control and zigbee network extensions” and 5 “Aux keypads used for 3 way lighting”.

As mentioned and explicitly stated to the dealer, I have no intention of controlling lights, only audio through 4 zones, but they say these dimmers and keypads are required.  Here are their comments:

The reason the lighting is in the order is because the “brain” produces a wireless signal that your remote/phone app can communicate over.  Just like Wifi that signal does not cover the entire house without help.  The light switches are used not only the give you automation control over your lights, but the switches also act as a “repeater” for the Control4 signal to make sure that no matter where you are in your house your command will reach the “brain” in the Great room.

I added light switches to the order to insure that no matter where you are in the house your command will reach the command center (controller) and everything will work seamlessly.

By removing the light switches, you are opening up yourself to a system that does not function the way you want. 

27 minutes ago, Gregf said:

Thanks everyone, great suggestion on vssl.com. I will reach out.  To clarify, and sorry for the misprint.  The dealer was not suggesting keypads in all cases, but 10 “dimmers for light control and zigbee network extensions” and 5 “Aux keypads used for 3 way lighting”.

As mentioned and explicitly stated to the dealer, I have no intention of controlling lights, only audio through 4 zones, but they say these dimmers and keypads are required.  Here are their comments:

The reason the lighting is in the order is because the “brain” produces a wireless signal that your remote/phone app can communicate over.  Just like Wifi that signal does not cover the entire house without help.  The light switches are used not only the give you automation control over your lights, but the switches also act as a “repeater” for the Control4 signal to make sure that no matter where you are in your house your command will reach the “brain” in the Great room.

I added light switches to the order to insure that no matter where you are in the house your command will reach the command center (controller) and everything will work seamlessly.

By removing the light switches, you are opening up yourself to a system that does not function the way you want. 

This is correct if you want to roam around your home with the SR-260 remote control.  If however you want to only use the remote in your home theater then you will not need any repeater products (unless your Control4 controller is placed elsewhere).

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2017 at 9:57 AM, alanchow said:

Just get VSSL A.6 - https://vssl.com/

6 zones of matrixed amplified audio with built in Apple Airplay, Spotify Connect and Google Cast.

You'll setup as follows

• 3 zones will be through the amplified outputs on the amp
  • 4th zone will be through the BUS output to your receiver in the home theater room.

If you want to add in control later on you can add in an EA-1 SR Bundle to your home theater to control the AV equipment in there.

Yep what he says. Take his advice he is awesome. :) 

This is correct if you want to roam around your home with the SR-260 remote control.  If however you want to only use the remote in your home theater then you will not need any repeater products (unless your Control4 controller is placed elsewhere).
Your phone / ipad and even the control4 tablets use WiFi. No keypads needed to make that music work needed.

AS Alan points out The SR260 remote uses zigbee, so to get full home use of the remote wand you need these (or zigbee extenders) .

Your use case as described does not need these but be aware others in your home may want hard button not app control.

On 21/11/2017 at 6:07 AM, zaphod said:

Where do you buy the VSSL amps?  I could only find an online shop in Ireland that has them for about 3400 euros.

The VSSL A.6 can be purchased through VSSL dealers.

Since they are a sister company of TruAudio it means most TruAudio dealers stock or have access to it.

Alternatively if you can't find one let me know your contact details and i'll get a VSSL rep to contact you directly to work with you to find your closest dealer.

• 3 months later...

Archived