C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Intercom Anywhere App

nevets23

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

i'm pretty chill. if you notice over the last few weeks my posts have been next to nothing cause most of the posts on here are less then productive

Hear hear! Interestingly, I’ve also had little (useful) to say in the last 2 or 3 months and have found myself asking why:

1. Is it that there is no more to automate and no more to learn? Surely not and hopefully not! Or,

2. Is it that there has been nothing new of late (I can’t really say that as release cycles are pretty much unchanged and there are still cool new drivers appearing from time to time), or,

3. Is it me, am I growing old? I certainly hope not, or,

4. Is it the community? Have we stopped growing? Or,

5. Is it something else? I certainly hope so but have been asking myself what!

Sorry MS, did not mean to take your post and turn it all serious!

Roll on 2.11, intercom apps and whatever else is out there for us to get excited about!

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hear hear! Interestingly, I’ve also had little (useful) to say in the last 2 or 3 months and have found myself asking why:   

1. Is it that there is no more to automate and no more to learn? Surely not and hopefully not! Or,  

2. Is it that there has been nothing new of late (I can’t really say that as release cycles are pretty much unchanged and there are still cool new drivers appearing from time to time), or,

3. Is it me, am I growing old? I certainly hope not, or,

4. Is it the community? Have we stopped growing? Or,

5. Is it something else? I certainly hope so but have been asking myself what!

Sorry MS, did not mean to take your post and turn it all serious!

Roll on 2.11, intercom apps and whatever else is out there for us to get excited about!

No it’s 2. Folks have to get used to the way this company operates and what it can achieve.  Sometimes it takes a while to get used to it and accept it. It has taken me well over 6 years.   

This is not a state of the art innovative tech company- pushing the boundaries with thousands of young mathematicians, coders and physicists and electronics HA engineers riding skate boards whilst High fiving each other pushing the boundaries at the C4 “Innovative development center” in downtown Silicon Valley.  This company specializes in plodding along. Months or years behind the schene. Both in what it produces and how it sells it via its dealer model. It does this well but. That’s the bit folks need to understand- it does this very well... 

This company does not do “state of the art” itself. It relies on third parties and small acquisitions like Leaf, Extra Vegetables and Pakege to do HA on what is basically a pretty old but stable platform. Linux, lua, HDMI matrix’s, dealer distribution. Old. But stable.

Trouble is folks see the adds get sweet talked by a dealer or read what can be done in HA on the web and think this company operates the same way as an Apple or Google.

It doesn’t.

All IMHO.

W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You see that’s the dilemma with this company. It appears Hi tech but is it?

Think of it like this. It’s basically a bunch of old goofy guys like me playing with their out of date toys like Blu-ray players, HT PC’s, HDMI matrix’s, and telephones calling what they term a “dealer” to come by and co-ordinate all that....

Take a long breath and think about that for a while.

Is that 2020? Or 1980?

It is what it is but.

Like I say.

They *integrate* stuff on that stable platform of theirs pretty well.

Take a look at Spotify as an example.

They do *integrate* very well.

It’s just they don’t *innovate* themselves IMHO.

W.

You see that’s the dilemma with this company. It appears Hi tech but is it?

Think of it like this. It’s basically a bunch of old goofy guys like me playing with their out of date toys like Blu-ray players, HT PC’s, HDMI matrix’s, and telephones calling what they term a “dealer” to come by and co-ordinate all that....

Take a long breath and think about that for a while.

Is that 2020? Or 1980?

It is what it is but.

Like I say.

They *integrate* stuff on that stable platform of theirs pretty well.

Take a look at Spotify as an example.

They do *integrate* very well.

It’s just they don’t *innovate* themselves IMHO.

W.

So if they are light years behind who has a more complete solution and why haven't you moved to it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So if they are light years behind who has a more complete solution and why haven't you moved to it? 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I never said light years. Stop twisting what I say. Like I say it is what it is.

The reason I haven’t moved on is really quite simple.

I’ve already outlaid $10,000’s of dollars in hardware and probably $100,000’s in dealer fees and my own time getting to where I am.

Cheers.

W.

You got a better summary of the company right now and to explain some of the dilemmas it seems to be getting itself into?

Like is say. They are good at it. They make money and they appear to be still in business.

Not sure how long the likes of Tesla will be ....

W.

9 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

I never said light years. Stop twisting what I say. Like I say it is what it is.

The reason I haven’t moved on is really quite simple.

I’ve already outlaid $10,000’s of dollars in hardware and probably $100,000 in dealer fees and my own time getting to where I am.

Cheers.

W.

Wow. What can I do to earn your business?!  I'd  attempt to flip those numbers and potentially save you 100,000.00 for future hardware!

^ cool.

That would be awesome.

That’s money and “time is money” already spent but...

Everyone’s an expert in their own “jurisdiction.... “

Maybe you had the dealer “advantage. “ care to stop and think a moment that that might have given you an edge?

It is what it is.

I’m only tying to help folks understand how the whole shebam (appears to me) to operate - so they can guide their way thru the hype from what I call “reality”.

W

You kidding me? 
Nothing describes Ryan and Matt more then “skateboarding, high fiving, mathematicians and physicists”. 

Cool. That’s great. It’s a pity I agree that that isn’t the image I seem to be getting....

But is that my fault as an owner of the product or a consumer?

I’d like to see the “evidence”
I’d love to see the “C4 lab”
Actually come to think of it I’ve never seen a full blown state of the art C4 set up anywhere. Have you?

I’d love to be able to walk into a Company branded C4 “state of the art” Retail store demonstrating their wares on 5th Avenue next time I’m in NYC - but where is it?

Don’t get me wrong. I’m your typical niche “buy the brand” consumer. I haven’t skimmed one bit and I never skimp on quality or state of the art tech. I’ve paid my dues....

It’s not consumers fault how the brand is handled and sold and marketed.

I didn’t put it in Best Buy and I definitely think that was a no no....

Cheers.

3 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

I didn’t put it in Best Buy and I definitely think that was a no no....

Neither did Control4.

Only Best Buys that had a Magnolia Home Theater on-site were given the opportunity to sell Control4.

They were also required to have trained employees to be able to sell it, and still have to service it.

Like any large endeavor, some stores do better than others in that regard, and you only ever hear of the unsuccessful ones.

RyanE

The *real* reason?  There's no conspiracy there.

It's likely exactly what most people would assume: Control4 is working out issues found during previous rounds of alpha, beta and/or scale-up testing.

I'm not on the project myself, and can't (and wouldn't) comment on what those issues could be, and what the ETA could be for a release.

RyanE

P.S.  I'm not speaking for Control4, as I don't have first-hand knowledge of the Intercom Anywhere status/updates.

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

The *real* reason?  There's no conspiracy there.

It's likely exactly what most people would assume: Control4 is working out issues found during previous rounds of alpha, beta and/or scale-up testing.

I'm not on the project myself, and can't (and wouldn't) comment on what those issues could be, and what the ETA could be for a release.

RyanE

P.S.  I'm not speaking for Control4, as I don't have first-hand knowledge of the Intercom Anywhere status/updates.

A far stretch, but could you ask whoever’s in charge of it if something can be told to us people who are eagerly waiting to hear something on this?

its kinda like call of duty. Sledgehammer games advertised paint jobs in November...still nothing. Personally I would just really love some official word

21 minutes ago, Shivam Paw said:

A far stretch, but could you ask whoever’s in charge of it if something can be told to us people who are eagerly waiting to hear something on this?

its kinda like call of duty. Sledgehammer games advertised paint jobs in November...still nothing. Personally I would just really love some official word

The only official word is that it is not released as of yet.

Sorry.

RyanE

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

@RyanE you get quite a lot of stick on here when things are not quite going the way we want... so just to say that we really do appreciate you and other C4 employees being involved on the forum... Even if you can’t tell us when the app will be released :ph34r: - I’m holding thumbs for early May...

I’m expecting first week of April......

OK I leave for the middle east in mid April- so please remove all BS about the app from your PDF and 

web site - Unless you say it works -If the app will work is the US but not in the UK please state this. 

So sad to get back the state when C4 can reported for bad advertising - We won last time (over Amazon Alexa)  so please sort it out 

There will always be people that complain, and they will also be the ones heard - that's how it goes.

Lets get to a world where we as individuals (or parents) have to sign off on anything happening on any event or activity we participate in lest we sue every last company into the ground...

Lets add a rule that common sense and assumption of fact by omitted details are the same thing.

Oh wait... we do.

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

So sad to get back the state when C4 can reported for bad advertising

You mean that people could interpret not stating specifics on region assume it is all regions?

You mean that not stating coffee might be hot means it shouldn't be hot?

Or perhaps that not stating putting pets in a microwave or laundry machine means you can do so?

Maybe the fact that it wasn't stated you could get hurt while climbing a (climbing) wall means the owner of the wall goes to jail for not making it clear?

Perhaps people not following the stated instructions on how to anchor a dresser to the wall to prevent injury by tipping means the dresser's manufacturer needs to recall the product.

Failing to anchor a car lift means the maker is responsible for the death of the person who failed to follow those basic instructions (in addition to putting a vehicle over the supported weight on it)?

The list goes on and on.

Yuck.

And we (as a society) wonder (and complain - ironically) why our children (or the more ambiguous 'current generation') don't take responsibility for their actions and that THEY feel 'entitled'.

Irony is a interesting concept isn't it?

On 3/30/2018 at 11:06 PM, RyanE said:

Neither did Control4.

Only Best Buys that had a Magnolia Home Theater on-site were given the opportunity to sell Control4.

They were also required to have trained employees to be able to sell it, and still have to service it.

Like any large endeavor, some stores do better than others in that regard, and you only ever hear of the unsuccessful ones.

RyanE

Meh, my install was through Magnolia, and I am a very satisfied customer with (according to them) one of their "more complex" systems.  And this decision was made after interviewing, getting proposals from, and then passing over 3 local "custom integration" companies.

Quit bashing Best Buy, folks.  It's offensive and snooty.

12 hours ago, Cyknight said:

There will always be people that complain, and they will also be the ones heard - that's how it goes.

Lets get to a world where we as individuals (or parents) have to sign off on anything happening on any event or activity we participate in lest we sue every last company into the ground...

Lets add a rule that common sense and assumption of fact by omitted details are the same thing.

Oh wait... we do.

You mean that people could interpret not stating specifics on region assume it is all regions?

You mean that not stating coffee might be hot means it shouldn't be hot?

Or perhaps that not stating putting pets in a microwave or laundry machine means you can do so?

Maybe the fact that it wasn't stated you could get hurt while climbing a (climbing) wall means the owner of the wall goes to jail for not making it clear?

Perhaps people not following the stated instructions on how to anchor a dresser to the wall to prevent injury by tipping means the dresser's manufacturer needs to recall the product.

Failing to anchor a car lift means the maker is responsible for the death of the person who failed to follow those basic instructions (in addition to putting a vehicle over the supported weight on it)?

The list goes on and on.

Yuck.

And we (as a society) wonder (and complain - ironically) why our children (or the more ambiguous 'current generation') don't take responsibility for their actions and that THEY feel 'entitled'.

Irony is a interesting concept isn't it?

CY 

Please read this PDF 

https://www.control4.com/docs/product/intercom/solutions-guide/english/latest/intercom-solutions-guide-rev-b.pdf

A little bit from the PDF 

To begin using the Control4 Intercom system, you must have the following  set up:
1 You must have at least two Intercom-enabled devices in your Control4 system, for example, two touch screens or a touch screen and a door station . Supported models:
• 5" and 7" In-Wall Touch Screen (audio Intercom only) • 7" In-Wall Touch Screen with Camera and 7" Portable Touch Screen with Camera (audio and video Intercom) • T3 Series 7" Tabletop Touchscreen, 7 and 10" In-Wall Touch Screen (audio and video Intercom) • Interior and Exterior Door Station (audio and video Intercom) • Mobile devices with the Control4 Intercom app

No mention of Beta - Also who said anything about sue - Not done too bad out of the Intercom cock up (T3 for£350) Just a frustrated customer who reads C4 PDF`s that say "Mobile devices with the Control4 Intercom app".

Archived