C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Intercom Anywhere App

nevets23

@Gary Leeds UK  there's also a disclaimer you missed.  We all know the mobile App is coming.  Let's all peacefull chat about what we can control (or would like to control) for now instead of stomping our feet until things change.  I'm not sure if online protesting even works anyways. Ideas and concerns can be heard subtly too.  Besides,  I'm still upset about Windows xp but I've decided to forgive microsoft of ditching all responsibility of my feelings.  I had to move on.  It's not so bad letting go. Windows 10 isn't so bad afterall...

Control4 disclaimer
Control4® makes no representations or warranties with respect to this publication, and 
specifically disclaims any express or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for 
any particular purpose. Control4 reserves the right to make changes to any and all parts 
of this publication at any time, without any obligation to notify any person or entity of 
such changes.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan, 

I`m just ticked off that they advertise the Control4 Intercom App in a PDF.

I can not use the N2 mobile App because they have messed about with the Firmware on DS2 (That upset my dealer) 

Its just a farce and if we just sit back and let them get away with it, they will do it again and again. 

Rank over 

PS - When and if it does come it better bloody work 

5 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Dan, 

I`m just ticked off that they advertise the Control4 Intercom App in a PDF.

I can not use the N2 mobile App because they have messed about with the Firmware on DS2 (That upset my dealer) 

Its just a farce and if we just sit back and let them get away with it, they will do it again and again. 

Rank over 

PS - When and if it does come it better bloody work 

As a personal owner of the DS2 in my own home, I hope the App works too. I did not get an opportunity to try out the beta App so I have to be patient too. The ds2 has been temperamental but it works reliably now.  It's a great device and it will work well as long as your dealer is following the communication agent and ds2 kb's properly.

5 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

My DS2 works Great with no issues - apart from he is unable to connect me to https://my2n.com

If you have the KB number- I will send it over to him to sort 

I think you'll nee the 2n firmware on the ds2 for my2n to work. I don't think there is a Kb on that either.  @eddy.trochez knows how to accomplish this.

6 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Dan thats one of the issue - We have the App in 6 year Beta (6mth) and we can not use the DS2 to its limits because C4 have played with

the Firmware. 

They just do not care (They will care but it feels like it) - It just winds me up

I think there's a different 2n c4 driver. Are you using that?

My dealer says its the Firmware - He tried we can login into the Myn2 and get all information - But we can not get the 

DS2 to registrar just get stock in a loop. 

That was his back out if they did not release the App in Amsterdam  - I got a cheap T3 so not many complaints. 

Dan - I feel like i`m therapy - Thanks for calming me down  

Consider that there are 3 large pieces to a Door Station solution:
* The Hardware
* The App
* The back end platform for making the app work

Given that The Hardware was OEM’d and is already in production and use, we can largely rule it out as any part of the delay in the solution.

While there is a 2N app that works with the 2N hardware and apparently mostly works with the C4 version of the hardware, that 2N App is leveraging the 2N Back End. In order to be self-reliant and support expansion beyond simple door station support, C4 would have to write its own back end. This would also mean writing it’s own app.

My speculation is that what was shown at CES last year was an alpha of the app that was either using the 2N Back End or a very early POC (proof of concept) of the C4 Back End that was little more than a “hello world” example with very basic door station functionality. So what the delay has been (more speculation on my part) is that C4 has been working on their back end to not only support the door station but also provide a framework for supporting future devices (garage, irrigation, thermostat, etc). Designing a Back End for a single function is relatively easy, making it flexible and future-ready is much more difficult and takes a lot more time and testing. Because the C4 App will rely on the Back End, it’s Development and completion must trail that of the Back End.

So while the delay is frustrating, my view of it is that C4 is taking the time to prepare for the future big picture and not rush something out right now that will have to be scrapped later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think Gary has the right to be upset from a legal perspective. If there had not been printed words it would be different

The features are non trivial technically.  I hope they can do it and make it a smooth experience 99% of the time. And by that I mean 1 out of 100 calls has an issue ... and not a hicup every 100 seconds. :)

I think Gary has the right to be upset from a legal perspective. If there had not been printed words it would be different
Legally speaking, marketing materials don’t necessarily constitute a binding contract. I’d be willing to bet that C4 has a merger clause in their EULA.

14 minutes ago, Pounce said:

The UK would class the PDF as false advertising and would request its removal  or rewording.

2 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

The UK would class the PDF as false advertising and would request its removal  or rewording.

It's also really important that dealers are being absolutely clear on the limitations of the product at the current time.  Over promising results in situations like this. Dealers were told that the App wasn't ready yet, but that it was coming. That info should be passed on to the customers. If you bought a ds2 from your dealer because your dealer told you ( on paper or verbally ) that an App was available, then I would request a refund based on that.  Or request a 2n device in its place.  

And we're back to where C4 doesn't and shouldn't pre-announce things. IMHO even mentioning the app to DEALERS was a bad idea, let alone the public.

Regardless of the state of it right now - that was poor judgement. And just underscores that the position they have (minus that 'glitch' and are taking on this is the correct one: there is nothing to announce at this time.

As for the 'false advertising - Gary that will VERY much depend on how freely accessible that PDF is. For example - is there a link to it right from the website main page, or does the document show up under google searches, or did your dealer send you a link. If it's not being pushed but just a document you can gain access too, then its not advertising.

I don't give a rats ass how UK law defines it - because if it DOES consider it advertisement in that scenario, it goes against its intended function.

That doesn't mean I think there shouldn't be any laws for this sort of thing - I'm just very saddened by the continued decay of self-responsibility I see everywhere. Think for yourselves, and own up to your own 'mistakes'. Even if there's an argument you could read things a certain way, you're still (at least partially) responsible for reading it that particular way.

One of the things that I noticed first when I moved across the Atlantic is that here, so many people swallow up 'news' as fact without thinking about what is actually said (and more so any advertisement) or who is saying it. I grew up to always be critical of and analyze any information given to you, regardless of it's source (indeed be very AWARE of it's source). By putting too many boundaries (laws) in place two things will be accomplished: 1) those intending to give out false information will just get extremely good about doing it without being noticed and 2) the public will start assuming all information is truth because they assume it's being checked for them. In other words, it'll achieve the exact opposite of what it is intended to do.

CY - good to see you don't give a rat's ass - however we all need laws and its not my fault C4 cocked up.

Laws work people need laws to ensure big corporations do not tell it's customers rubbish.

This side of the pond is not perfect

However I like it 

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

CY - good to see you don't give a rat's ass - however we all need laws and its not my fault C4 cocked up.

Laws work people need laws to ensure big corporations do not tell it's customers rubbish.

This side of the pond is not perfect

However I like it 

But law is made by humans, and therefor as flawed as humans are - unfortunately that means it gets abused.

As mentioned I'm not against 'law', I'm against the inability that is growing on 'your' side of the pond - as it has a long time ago over here - to interpret a law on it's INTENT rather than the letter.

It starts with 'big corporation' to get a slap on the wrist for a meaningless misunderstanding, and ends with 'big lawyer' dictating what you can and cannot do (because what you may WANT to do is in-insurable against lawsuits).

Gary, you know FULL WELL that the app is not available. Nothing has been sold or promised to you and not been delivered. There is NO confusion here, there is no victim, there are no damages. All there is is a desire on your part to leverage others into what you want or to get stuff free.

Your attitude is disappointing, to put it mildly.

1 minute ago, thegreatheed said:

Gary, you know FULL WELL that the app is not available. Nothing has been sold or promised to you and not been delivered. There is NO confusion here, there is no victim, there are no damages. All there is is a desire on your part to leverage others into what you want or to get stuff free.

Your attitude is disappointing, to put it mildly.

we are all victims from having to read this thread

Control4 is publicly traded. If they didn't use forward looking safe harbor wording they could be exposed. Looks like maybe they think their disclaimer is safe harbor wording, but a reasonable person might not agree.  I agree that if they don't make it obvious in the docs etc that a feature is forward looking and not yet delivered they should change it. It's misleading. It may not be intentional at all, but there are many moving parts in a business. It's pretty easy to screw it up once in a while.

21 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Wow - I just like people not to lie or Try to pull the wool over peoples Eyes. 

thegreatheed - Read the PDF it is wrong and if something is wrong it needs to be changed - Simple 

Where did ANYONE lie? Something being wrong (or even released early, but factually correct) != someone lying.

What was promised and not delivered? You knew full well it was in Closed Beta and there was no availability date.

Maybe I'm being blind but the PDF that is linked in this thread I can't find on the control4 website. 

Is it linked anywhere or is this document linked from the dealer site?

Archived