C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Intercom Anywhere App

nevets23

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Unsocialtoaster said:

There is a current post on the Control4 Dealer forums asking for updates, and nothing has been said on there short of "It will be ready when it's ready". Anything your dealer can tell you on Monday above this would be pure speculation I'm afraid, unless they happen to make an official announcement between now and then.

To be fair  - My dealer told me the same  - The tech who installed our system now works for C4 and is on the beta team in the UK - He is tight lipped at the moment 

• 3 weeks later...

Likely means it’s been a buggy mess.  Control4 seems to be having quite a bit of trouble with cloud related computing as of late (numerous outages of the mobile and Alexa interfaces and certificate update nightmares).  To be honest I question their ability to get this done reliably.

It's pretty sad that there still hasn't been any sort of communication on the status of this app. Very disappointing that the company generates as much as they do in revenue each year, yet apparently can't seem to either (1) hire developers that know what they're doing; or (2) hire enough qualified developers. It's not like the company that manufactures the DS2 for them doesn't already have its own service that does what the intercom app in intended to do... Isn't Cedia in September? Lol, three months away from it having been a year since it was announced.

Obviously not the end of the world, but definitely disappointing and frustrating...especially with the lack of communication on any level.

It's being worked on - what other status update do you expect?

It has been pointed out exhaustively that they do not pre-announce features. The fact that they DID do it for the app is the issue - not that there hasn't been communication afterwards.

Control4 *showed* it at CEDIA, and stated clearly that it was something we're working on.

Explicitly said 'no release date', only in *very* limited internal beta.

Not sure what part of posting a video an *attendee* at the show says that Control4 was doing anything other than that.

These kinds of posts just ensure that Control4 will be more reluctant to make the mistake of mentioning "what we're working on" ever again.

RyanE

14 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Control4 *showed* it at CEDIA, and stated clearly that it was something we're working on.

Not sure what part of posting a video an *attendee* at the show says that Control4 was doing anything other than that.

These kinds of posts just ensure that Control4 will be more reluctant to make the mistake of mentioning "what we're working on" ever again.

RyanE

You're probably right about them being more reluctant, however I'm not concerned with that as much. My concern and disappointment goes back to what I personally feel is a reflection on the inability for the company to get this intercom app done for the reasons I specified in my previous post. As a side note, I'm guessing when they made the announcement that the intercom app was coming/in development, that they expected to have it out within a reasonable amount of time (i.e. a couple months or a little more). If that wasn't the case, then making the announcement really makes no sense. Conversely, if my assumptions are correct, then it shows they are struggling, especially given that afaik they haven't come out with one significant software or hardware innovation/material new feature since Cedia. I'm not saying companies aren't ever allowed to fail or can't ever struggle, but it doesn't change the fact that customers expect constant and signifigant forward progress these days and the ones that don't understand that or aren't able to produce accordingly typically end up failing over time.

31 minutes ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

Big deal.  Shouldn't mention anything if you can't deliver.

38 minutes ago, RyanE said:

That's not a bad thing though.

Intercom Anywhere for Peace of Mind 
Also available today with the 4Sight service is the new Control4 Intercom App for iOS and Android devices. Homeowners can now receive Control4 Door Station and audio/video intercom calls directly on their mobile devices, providing them visibility and access to their front gate or front door from anywhere in the world. Unique to Control4, while on a call in the Intercom App, with a single tap, homeowners can activate their Control4 automation such as turn on lights, open the gate, or unlock the front door without leaving the app; a perfect blend of peace of mind and home control.

Control4 offers a complete intercom system with a high-end door station, dedicated touch screens, and doorbell cameras built for durability and premium audio/video quality. Whether in the home or away, homeowners can now receive incoming audio/video intercom calls on their mobile device or call from their mobile phone to Control4 Touchscreens installed throughout out the home for the most complete connected home intercom solution.

The Control4 Intercom App is now available for early access to Control4 Dealers through the company’s beta program.

The press release is worded in a way that does not give a reasonable person the impression that the app is non functional and in very limited beta. It reads to me that its working and is available to all dealers. If it were not close to release this sort of phrasing maybe should not have been used.

Don't get me wrong. I am totally OK with C4 taking whatever time they need to release or even not release this app. I'm posting because in my opinion there was a communication error. It's something simply to solve moving forward.

This kind of functionality is very difficult to get right. It's probably more complex than most of C4 customer facing software. I am empathetic to the challenges.

5 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

You mean your pure and total speculation?

Lol, I’m not sure how it I’m speculating. The app hasn’t come out yet, right? What other reasons other than the ones I set forth could there be for why it isn’t out yet? Several other companies have already proven the concept can be done...including the one that manufactures the door station c4 whitelabels, so I don’t really see any other logical explanations.

3 minutes ago, nevets23 said:

Lol, I’m not sure how it I’m speculating. The app hasn’t come out yet, right? What other reasons other than the ones I set forth could there be for why it isn’t out yet? Several other companies have already proven the concept can be done...including the one that manufactures the door station c4 whitelabels, so I don’t really see any other logical explanations.

Let's see. It could be licensing, contracts, app approval processes, timing with hardware revisions, changes in architecture... Not everything is because other people are stupid and inept.

1 hour ago, Pounce said:

Let's see. It could be licensing, contracts, app approval processes, timing with hardware revisions, changes in architecture... Not everything is because other people are stupid and inept.

Added features, unifying app across multiple devices and operating systems, timing with software revisions, infrastructure upgrade requirements, required improvements in other areas....

1 hour ago, Pounce said:

Lmao, who said stupid or inept? I certainly didn’t. Btw, the I could magically sprout wings, but it doesn’t make it likely, just like the items you listed aren’t likely. Regardless, these are all things that are in their control, so I don’t see how any of that is an excuse when they announced it back in september.

16 minutes ago, digitaltrader said:

Regardless, this is technology that is no longer cutting edge and more than likely expected from any potential new customer.  C4 might consider beefing up the software development team to meet publicly announced projects.

No longer cutting edge you say? Yet nobody is doing it right. Give Control4 a chance. 

Archived