C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Intercom Anywhere App

nevets23

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, nevets23 said:

Still no word...? C4's silence on pretty much everything really makes me question this company's trajectory. I love my C4 system, however, Apple and some others are definitely starting to catch up.

Control4 has built solid, steady growth, through the worst recession in our lifetime. It is constantly rated the top CI automation system and receives tons of awards for quality and service.

If you question the company's trajectory based off this one thing, you are superbly shortsighted

35 minutes ago, nevets23 said:

I see new, very solidly built and reliable, devices released all the time that integrate with HomeKit, and in some cases, do things that C4 can't even do (e.g. reliable geo-location based tracking/automation).

C4 isnt building hardware to do everything.  They are building a platform that can integrate anything.  So they did not invest in this particular geolocation service - Didn't someone on here build a homekit driver?  So cant you use that driver to do this homekit/geolocation service?  

Re: this doorstation, its a 2n device, not C4.  So they are testing to make sure when released, it works on their platform.  From what I gather, you can get 90% of this functionality now using the 2n app for like $30/year or something.

oy vey.

this thread needs to die.

All the complaining about new products this and that.  You guys do realize that these single companies are focusing on a SINGLE device and not thousands, like C4 does?

Homekit.  I don't see the big hub bub about it.  Its still not a fully integrated system.  Apple has been working on this for YEARS.

8 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

C4 isnt building hardware to do everything.  They are building a platform that can integrate anything.  So they did not invest in this particular geolocation service - Didn't someone on here build a homekit driver?  So cant you use that driver to do this homekit/geolocation service?  

Re: this doorstation, its a 2n device, not C4.  So they are testing to make sure when released, it works on their platform.  From what I gather, you can get 90% of this functionality now using the 2n app for like $30/year or something.

They have a platform that can integrate a significant amount, but certainly not everything. With that being said, many other companies are building a platform that integrate other company products into one platform in addition to their own products. From a innovation/progress standpoint, I just haven't seen them do anything that makes me think their company model is going to be sustainable over the long haul if they continue down this path....for example, alexa integration is a fun and great feature to have, but certainly nothing that sets c4 apart or blows consumers away....same for "if/then" feature. Yes, the geo location is absolutely fantastic through the Homekit Driver Josh created, but that clearly isn't c4's doing.

They said this for sales and sales only - lost total respect for C4 
i use it and invested in it - but feel total let down 

Name a better control system. Then I’ll listen. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

Control4 has built solid, steady growth, through the worst recession in our lifetime. It is constantly rated the top CI automation system and receives tons of awards for quality and service.

If you question the company's trajectory based off this one thing, you are superbly shortsighted

I think you may be missing my point....yes, C4 is one of the best home automation platforms on the market at this moment. Doesn't mean it will stay that way going forward if they don't innovate, offer something truly unique/different, or at the very least keep the platform updated with the latest in mass marketed tech hardware/software. You cite the solid growth, etc., but C4 also hasn't had this many competitors in the past. The home automation market has grown and continues to grow rapidly now, so sustaining the same success, growth, etc. is going to be much more difficult going forward. Hence, my lack of faith given all of the foregoing.

1 hour ago, twmoonly said:

Any official release date?

Next share holders meeting - They have bugger all else to say 

We have said it before - Its software that can control other peoples stuff - Hue etc 

Come to thinking out of the box - They are buggered - I hope not, but it looks like they have no new idea`s

Intercom App - Saved the day at the 2.10 update and lost the DAY big style at 2.11 update. 

Give me something I can hang my hat on - Not sales BS - I DO THAT EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK 

Once again, this solidifies the argument that *nothing* should *ever* be pre-announced.

Things are usually harder than expected, and take longer than expected.

Control4 has not announced a release date for the functionality, anything you hear on here is speculation.

RyanE

9 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Once again, this solidifies the argument that *nothing* should *ever* be pre-announced.

Control4 has not announced a release date for the functionality, anything you hear on here is speculation.

RyanE

My opinion: it’s fine to tell us your working on something cool...as long as you keep us updated on it. Right now it kinda feels like none of us know what’s going on and I assume in the future there won’t be be any pre announcements but I reckon the one thing that’ll sort everything out for some time is to know what’s going on, an ETA (rough, you won’t be held to it) and what exactly it’ll have: callkit?

RyanE

Lol, you have a point, however if C4 would simply come out with highly requested features on a more frequent and timely basis, none of this would be an issue, just as it isn’t for many other companies in the tech industry. I don’t see how it being hard is really an excuse when other companies have a technology already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, RyanE said:

anything you hear on here is speculation.

Which is one of the reasons this topic is so popular... in between cool releases (ok exclude 2.10.0 from that statement - but hey, getting 1 in 10 wrong is not a bad thing when you get 9 in 10 - very - right), we do seem to love speculation :ph34r:

6 hours ago, nevets23 said:

Lol, you have a point, however if C4 would simply come out with highly requested features on a more frequent and timely basis, none of this would be an issue, just as it isn’t for many other companies in the tech industry. I don’t see how it being hard is really an excuse when other companies have a technology already

Geez, why didn't I think of that?

Control4 should just release *more* requested features *more often*...

It's *so simple*!  We'll get right on that!

:)

RyanE

I heard Foxxconn was buying Control4. Kidding. Or am I?

The dealer lock in prevents a release strategy that would support agile development or any form of continuous delivery. If your customer needs to have a dealer deploy and redeploy to solve a quick fix then people get upset. With dealer lock you are forever stuck with a more waterfall delivery format with ... hopefully more exhaustive testing.

What could help speed up iterations is at least some customer freedom to update and of course reupdate with fixes.

You could even adopt a kanban delivery approach where you have a delivery track that is more or less devoted to adding customer value. In parallel you could have your waterfall stability and architecture changes.

my 2c.

Archived