C4 Forums | Control4

HD Fury - do these help with HDCP issues?

zaphod

interesting question. I'm going to talk to them about it today (HD Fury). 

I have no issues using my Nvidia Shield, but I have issues using the Directv Box (doesn't hold a 4k signal) as well as issues going through the directv channels (1080p, 1080i, 720p, etc) in differing formats. 

Also, roku is basically worthless unless I "force" connection to 1080p--the signal doesn't hold and gives me the purple screen of death about once a minute. 

Finally, switching between sources is slow. Ugh.

(Denon Receiver connected to Sony 940E display via Fiber HDMI)

3 hours ago, zaphod said:

I just noticed that Monoprice sent me an email that include mention of the 4K version of the HDFury.  Are these sorts of devices useful for folks having HDCP issues?

How would the 4K HD Fury be helpful here Z?

Edit you mean the Vertex? Holy crap batman! 

56 minutes ago, Jed Peters said:

interesting question. I'm going to talk to them about it today (HD Fury). 

I have no issues using my Nvidia Shield, but I have issues using the Directv Box (doesn't hold a 4k signal) as well as issues going through the directv channels (1080p, 1080i, 720p, etc) in differing formats. 

Also, roku is basically worthless unless I "force" connection to 1080p--the signal doesn't hold and gives me the purple screen of death about once a minute. 

Finally, switching between sources is slow. Ugh.

(Denon Receiver connected to Sony 940E display via Fiber HDMI)

Yep we are all suffering moving to 4K it is a total nightmare for the consumer no doubt about it and despite what some say around here who think it is all just a "picture perfect" experience 100% of the time (4KHDR HDCP2.2 HDMI is not) trust me this is where you really do need the help and it is worth spending the money with a qualified professional and dealer (like I have) who knows  what they are doing. Well worth it. My dealer is awesome. Trust me without him it would be a farking nightmare... 

The devices are accused (and have been sued) for selling devices that strip out HDCP:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/01/warner-bros-sues-hd-fury-over-boxes-that-can-copy-4k-video/

Here is what it says on an AVS forum thread (this is from two years ago).  

HDfury Integral is capable of connecting any HDCP revision sources devices to any HDCP revision sink devices. GUARANTEED! 
If you ever saw the following statement: “this TV does not support HDCP 2.2. Make sure you have HDCP 2.2 capable TV” or a similar HDCP error message, make sure you never see it again with HDfury Integral! Featuring 2 inputs and 2 outputs, HDfury Integral can act as a Splitter, HDCP Doctor, CEC Commander, Audio extractor, Audio replacement, HDMI Doctor, Matrix, EDID management and more… Discover the tomorrow’s hardware today!
HDfury Integral Key Features

• icon-new.pngUnique HDCP Doctor Providing a total of 6 HDCP 1.4 and 2.2 engines for decryption/encryption, HDfury Integral offers a total HDCP workaround solution including HDCP 1.4 > HDCP 2.2 and HDCP 1.4 > HDCP 2.2 both ways conversion within the same unit.
    It is capable of connecting any HDCP1.x or HDCP2.x source devices to any HDCP1.x or HDCP 2.x sink devices.
    Each RX block decrypts the input first whether its 1.x or 2.x. Then each output port can individually encrypts it to 1.4(both) or 2.2(only top port) or not encrypt it at all.
    Dual conversion can be operated on both channels simultaneously.
  • icon-new.pngDisplay HDCP 2.2 Content with Non-Compliant Devices HDCP 2.2 is the new copy-protection scheme for 4K UHD content.Not only it is not backward compatible but many recent 4K devices don’t even support it.
    Source devices, including media servers and head-ends like Netflix, will encode their 4K content with this new scheme. TVs must be HDCP 2.2-enabled to play it, and everything in the video chain including switches and receivers must be compliant as well, or the display will go dark and/or display a HDCP error.
    Bad news for consumers who have purchased expensive, high-bandwidth, processor-rich switchers and receivers to accommodate 4K. While the newer products may support the bandwidth needs of 4K, they won’t play copy-protected works until Integral is an active part of the setup.
  • icon-new.png2×2 Splitter up to 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz 18Gbps Splitting any signal up to 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz signal is now a reality, thanx to IR/BT or push button, you can easily switchbetween 2 inputs that will be replicated to 2 outputs. HDCP conversion can be configured and applied on the fly in order to always output the type of signal that your display or sink deviceis expecting.
  • icon-new.png4K60 4:4:4 600MHz 18Gbps > 4K60 4:2:0 300 MHz 10.2Gbps conversion Mostly all UHD TV sold until recently can only accept 4K60 when it comes in the form of a 4K60 4:2:0 300MHz signal, However upcoming sources and current high end graphics cards are outputting 4K60 4:4:4 (600MHz – 18 Gbps). Integral is solving that arising issue.
  • HDMI Audio Extracting HDfury Integral can extract HDMI audio and has a simultaneous output of analog L/R stereo and optical S/PDIF via 3.5mm combo jack connector.
  • icon-new.pngExternal Audio Replacing Mini jack input connector (or Mic/Line IN) option is available to replace the audio in any HDMI/DVI-D stream up to 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz 18Gbps.
    Audio replacing only work on one channel, the secondary channel is a direct path from HDMI to HDMI.
    Useful in presentation areas or for simply streaming your phone/tablet music to your HDMI amp.
  • EDID Management Improved EDID Management solution with either a Custom uploaded EDID, Self generated Automix EDID or a Fixed basic EDID.
    AutoMix EDID feature will create a custom EDID by mixing both sink EDID connected to the splitter output ports.
    Custom and manual EDID utility available from the download section.
  • icon-new.pngHDMI/CEC TOTAL COMMANDER* HDfury Integral offers an unique CEC commands manager, with CEC compatible equipment.
    CEC commands allow a HDMI source to send instructions and operate check on connected HDMI devices.
    Using the Integral’s Android/Apple APP for smartphone/tablet, user can configure custom CEC commands and send them LIVE or based on trigger event.
    As a practical use case example: it is capable of turning your display OFF when the source device is turned OFF.
    Concretely, it could turn off your HDTV when you power off your PS4.
  • icon-new.pngTOTAL CONTROL* HDfury Integral APP is available for mobile and tablet running Android or iOS.
    You can control HDfury Integral using your mobile phone or tablet via a bluetooth connection.
    IR control and various physical buttons for configurations are also available.
  • 2×2 Matrix up to 4K30 4:4:4 300MHz* Matrix solution is available for HDMI stream up to 4K30 4:4:4 300MHz 10.2Gbps.

They have been around for a while and are used a lot in commercial installs for stripping HDCP before sending it over HDSDI for live events or VTCs. I haven't played with the 4k version, but have used the previous ones without issue for stripping HDCP from a Mac to feed into a Cisco conferencing unit for desktop sharing as well

^ In other words the issue of "legality" should be "in the method on which the device is being used"... NOT in the HDCP stripping per say. The marketing pitch of this new device is precisely to make the 4K experience tolerable for the consumer. It's got nothing to do with ripping off the content. "Making a technology (HDCP) tolerable for the consumer" and "working as it should and as advertised". Who would have thought?! 

2 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

A proper long hdmi would probably be cheaper and make sure you have the bandwidth to send the content to the display without snow

Sure but more than 10 meters 4KHDR and you start to run into trouble. And in any case as previous posters have said.. even shorter that 10 meters is a problem due to poorly implemented HDCP 2.2 HDMI in some devices... 

@sonic30101 I have a 100' HDMI fiber cable between the Denon 4300 and the Sony 940E Television. Can't get much more "proper" than those two.

The interconnects between the sources and the denon receiver are Extron certified 1m cables that pass 4k @60hz. 

I can assure you that the HDCP/HDMI issues have NOTHING to do with what's "proper" and what's not.

3 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

^ In other words the issue of "legality" should be "in the method on which the device is being used"... NOT in the HDCP stripping per say. The marketing pitch of this new device is precisely to make the 4K experience tolerable for the consumer. It's got nothing to do with ripping off the content. Making a technology tolerable for the consumer. Who would have thought?!

these are not made specifically for this usage, they are for stripping HDCP to send it along a route that does not support HDCP (HDSDI) or a video conferencing unit that doesnt support a HDCP device into its video input for its content sharing, or pirating using a video capturing device. If you use this and are having HDCP issues AT HOME with residential gear, you will probably lose the blinking and gain snow or grainy picture due to cabling

7 minutes ago, zaphod said:

This isn't just for 4K - the product and company have been around for 10 years as many people had HDCP issues with regular HD.

Sure. I remember that. It's been a fight for justice for the law abiding paying consumer for years. We have been paying for the proper implementation of HDMI technology for well over a decade. And receiving total crap back in terms of a half decent residential consumer experience from the industry. Almost time for a consumer class action I'd reckon.. W

7 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

these are not made specifically for this usage, they are for stripping HDCP to send it along a route that does not support HDCP (HDSDI) or a video conferencing unit that doesnt support a HDCP device into its video input for its content sharing, or pirating using a video capturing device. If you use this and are having HDCP issues AT HOME with residential gear, you will probably lose the blinking and gain snow or grainy picture due to cabling

Forget any picture quality issues.. There should be ZERO "blinking" with HDMI in the first place. To make HDMI a half decent consumer experience.. That is the whole point.. 

9 minutes ago, zaphod said:

This isn't just for 4K - the product and company have been around for 10 years as many people had HDCP issues with regular HD.

you are right, as listed above apple laptops have HDCP on the video output which was before retina/4k. as well as people using HDSDI or the illegal dubbing/ripping of HDCP content before 4k was even out

2 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

There should be ZERO "blinking" with HDMI in the first place. To make HDMI a half decent consumer experience.. That is the whole point..

then get an 18gbps hdmi from avr to tv. plug it in and drape it across the floor temporarily and let us know the results

The whole point is this. HDCP is an terrible bottleneck on HDMI technology. It ruins the HDMI experience for law abiding paying consumers at the behest of stopping the video stream being stripped (for surreptitious reasons). Is that a problem for the law abiding paying consumer? NO IT IS NOT> It is a problem for the HDMI/HDCP alliance. 

Archived