Jump to content
  • 0
hank31980

Wireless Music Bridge - Output Volume Question

Question

I have a Control4 HC-250 Audio Out connected to a Surround Sound Receiver and when streaming Napster & Tunein music services from the HC250 the sound is good. Adjusting Volume control from the Control4 App adjusts the volume control of the Receiver. No problems.

However, there is also a Wireless Music Bridge as part of the system, who's Audio Output is connected directly to the HC-250 Audio Input.

Streaming an Airplay a source to the WMB results in the Room's Audio automatically changing to the new Airplay stream.

The problems start when I try and use volume levels on the source device over about 50%, things start to go wrong. The Sound Output from the Amplifier starts to sound distorted & overdriven.

 

Is this a configuration issue on my system? Should I be able to set a Source volume of 100% and then just control the volume on the Amp?

 

Any suggestions welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
17 minutes ago, hank31980 said:

I have a Control4 HC-250 Audio Out connected to a Surround Sound Receiver and when streaming Napster & Tunein music services from the HC250 the sound is good. Adjusting Volume control from the Control4 App adjusts the volume control of the Receiver. No problems.

However, there is also a Wireless Music Bridge as part of the system, who's Audio Output is connected directly to the HC-250 Audio Input.

Streaming an Airplay a source to the WMB results in the Room's Audio automatically changing to the new Airplay stream.

The problems start when I try and use volume levels on the source device over about 50%, things start to go wrong. The Sound Output from the Amplifier starts to sound distorted & overdriven.

 

Is this a configuration issue on my system? Should I be able to set a Source volume of 100% and then just control the volume on the Amp?

 

Any suggestions welcome.

Look at the volume settings on your iOS device.  Airplay has it's own volume control on the device.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 0

I assumed that was just to limit sound on the Earphone jack socket?

Rather than messing around with this max volume level on several Airplay source devices, is it then best to limit the Output Volume of the WMB via Programming, i.e. If WMB Output Volume rises above 50% then Limit it to 50%?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 minutes ago, hank31980 said:

I assumed that was just to limit sound on the Earphone jack socket?

Rather than messing around with this max volume level on several Airplay source devices, is it then best to limit the Output Volume of the WMB via Programming, i.e. If WMB Output Volume rises above 50% then Limit it to 50%?

 

No, because the volume you're using is on the stream itself, NOT on the WMB as such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

So what is the best way around this?

Does it help to set a default Volume for the room?

Is it just that I need to start the Airplay stream from the iPad/iPhone, then set this devices output volume to say 40% or 50%, then after the stream starts, I would have to select the C4 App and from there select Listen/"Wireless Music Bridge" option to then control the Amplifiers Volume up or down from there?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

WMB can be set to ignore volume, meaning you'll get a straight feed only - from there you'd use C4 for volume.

 

BUT reading thorugh it I notice you have an HC250 - I'm going to guess an older one which had issues with it's audio input. I'd get your dealer involved, see if you can get it RMAd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I think i will try & connect the WMB direct into the Amp.

That way I guess I cut out the middle man which is the HC-250 to see if any different.

Then as per your suggestion, I will look to try the WMB without the Volume control functionality. I cant see any setting available via the Web Interface for the WMB, just network stuff like Wireless SSID etc.

I assume it is a setting in Composer that has to be ticked/selected?

Thanks again for advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Speaking to a dealer friend it looks like its the Sharebridge Driver that has the capability to ignore Airplay stream volume, but I don't think WMB has that option available, so a software limit may be the only way to get around this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
20 hours ago, hank31980 said:

Speaking to a dealer friend it looks like its the Sharebridge Driver that has the capability to ignore Airplay stream volume, but I don't think WMB has that option available, so a software limit may be the only way to get around this.

You may be correct (it's been some time I've used one) - have you checked the use direct though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 12/14/2017 at 3:25 PM, msgreenf said:

Look at the volume settings on your iOS device.  Airplay has it's own volume control on the device.

^This.  I use Android and Windows (AirAudio and Airfoil as the AirPlay/DLNA utlities).  Each has it's own volume control.  With the source volume at 50% and AirAudio at 50%, SQ is fine.  When source vol. is raised beyond 50%, distortion city.  Simply change AirAudio to 90% and distortion is gone.

 

BTW, my WMB is connected directly to C4 amp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 12/14/2017 at 4:34 PM, hank31980 said:

I assumed that was just to limit sound on the Earphone jack socket?

Rather than messing around with this max volume level on several Airplay source devices, is it then best to limit the Output Volume of the WMB via Programming, i.e. If WMB Output Volume rises above 50% then Limit it to 50%?

 

I had this exact problem. Have your dealer do the following: In Programming on the left pane, expand Device Variables under the WMB, select Playing > When PLAYING Changes. On the right pane, set Output_volume_level for the WMB =50. No more distortion, and don't have to worry about your device's bluetooth volume being maxed when you connect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...