C4 Forums | Control4

controlling device without using a IR extender

Zegma

Hi

is there a way to control the devices in one of my rooms without having to put a little IR extender thing on the front of each device?

does the remote maybe send out IR signals aswell?

or is there a device that can be mounted on the roof facing all the devices?

Thanks in advance

Hi

Do the devices in question have an RS-232 port or and ir input jack? If so you could control them via that. The C4 remotes do not output IR they send their commands back to the controller via RF (Zigbee).

I guess you don't like the look of the IR buds on the front of your devices but an IR blaster on the ceiling may not look any better either. You also have to think that if you have an obstruction to the device your command may not be actioned.

Install the emitters inside the equipment then. Very easy to do, 20 minutes per TV.

That is a fantastic idea. I am a little skeptical on pulling apart my Pioneer Elite Plasmas, but this would definately improve the look. I wonder if I could pay the service center to do this.

Install the emitters inside the equipment then. Very easy to do, 20 minutes per TV.

We do this for all our customers. ;)

One customer was not used to this and he stated he spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how he was able to control the set.. This was Funny!

If you have a Pioneer Elite, why are you using IR anyways? Why not go with RS232?

I believe it is because we had planned to use this one as a computer monitor, like we do the other one.

This one is on a mount I could pull away fron the wall so I took a pic. Does it connect to the service only port or the pc input port? If it uses the pc input port I would prefer ir to keep that port free so we can utilize the tv as a computer monitor.

Archived