C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Application for the PC - Any interest?

mitchelludwig

Mitchell. Contact control4 and go through the proper channels. Though reverse engineering is possible it is a hard route to take. Believe me i know. I can tell you everything you'll encounter. Anyway if you're gonna do it. Do it properly and whilst you're at it set up some licencing system and do what ControlUI have done.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a great idea - some folks seem to want to use C4 to control other systems - I want to be able to Control C4 from within other apps, such as Media Center, SageTV, etc.

Please release a beta when you get a chance so some of us can test it out.

I think C4 would be much better if it was more open and if people can design lots of interesting add-ons. This is the route that has been taken by SageTV and there are a large number of great add-ons that have been made through the years that make SageTV so much more beneficial to the end user.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I talked with the head of marketing at C4 a couple years ago and he told me that, if I wanted that level of openness, then C4 was not for me. He was perfectly happy walking away from my business. He suggested PlutoHome/LinuxMCE for me.

He told me that they need to protect their intellectual property and don't want to give away the SDK. They're just opening the door for another company to pass them by...

• 1 month later...
Everyone:

The other thing it does, however, is support the ability to monitor and graph variables in the C4 system. So for example, I can tell the software to monitor the "temperature" values from the three thermostats in my system, and graphically chart the temperature in my house over the course of the day.

This is a clever project. I am eager to understand the mechanics of the monitoring aspect. Specifically, can you register with the C4 server to receive a callback on certain events (i.e. when the temperature changes), or must you receive ALL events?

Thanks,

Cliff

There are many sites out there which will host a project and it's source code.

http://code.google.com/projecthosting/

http://www.codeplex.com/

http://sourceforge.net/

Google Code seems to be getting more and more popular, but the others are well established too.

The nice thing about hosting the project on one of these sites is that people can get the code, enhance it, and then add the new code back into the project.

Scott

I only say this because since it involves reverse engineering it does not stop it from breaking at any point in time should control4 change the way it works.

I'm not sure about you guys but i don't want my system to break down after an update due to unsupported software.

the option is to contact control4 and speak to them about your ideas. posting on forums with other users will get you nowhere. True you may get some control4 employee's checking the forum however the right people (the higher uppers) will most likely not be viewing these forums.

Look at ControlUI. Do you think they reverse engineered the product? No. They did it the right way by working with Control4.

I'm not trying to put down the idea. I'm just saying that there is nothing stopping the app from breaking at a future point in time should developers choose to go the reverse engineering route.

and most likely WILL break when the UI changes by the end of this year - so a lot of hard work on your part would go down the tubes. I agree with Alan - do it the correct way, or you'll be frustrated.

I have been frusted because I've been contacting C4 for almost a year with no help. In the meantime, I've been getting the help from others that C4 is unwilling or unable to provide.

Yes, there may be a risk that what I'm working on will stop working if I applied any updates. This can apply to any applications. For this reason, I'm only testing with a select group of people that understand the risks. I'm optimistic that changes wont affect my work and skeptical that C4 will be able to deliver something usable in a reasonable period of time.

FYI, what I've done has no dependencies on the UI.

• 1 month later...

Look Guys: This thread is Awesome.

To say this is "push the envelope" stuff is a nonsense. I mean I would be very surprised if C4 didn't have a software controller ready for release right now. If not, C4 could make this happen tomorrow if they wanted too. Could C4 Please make this happen today! :) Just one simple phone call from a "higher upper"!

A Java based or some other based C4 Software controller would totally change the way customers like me use a home automation product like C4. I mean it really would be a dream come true. Dedicated touchscreen PC's or Mac's could run various software or web based controllers and FINALLY, FINALLY we would have all our home automation fully accessible on the one device!

Right now we are living in the equivalent of the early railroad days, when each company/even State, had a different gauge of track, so the same train couldn't run from point A-B without every user jumpin' off and changin' trains and hopping back on again!

I mean right now we are living in the Home Automation "19th Century" You and I all know this!

Well, just like a dedicated iphone/touch, the dedicated touchscreen PC or MAC is that single gauge my friends...with it's C4 software controller at it's heart, suddenly a brave new frontier is opened up for all.

We've done it before...and YES we can do it again!

....(geez...did I write that!:D)

The do have a PC based navigator, and I believe it is JAVA based (although I could be wrong). I haven't messed with it for a few months, but it was definately buggy, and nowhere near being ready to release. Maybe that is never the intent and that is why it hasn't progressed.

I too agree this app would be awesome, if it was polished and functioned properly.

Let's be real - the world runs on the PC. Apple has tried and tried and tried. And, if you don't think they are worried about losing market share in the audio storage media and playback device world over the next decade - then explain why they allow downloads of songs from itunes in MP3 now.

Just because you can control C4 with an iphone doesn't mean 90% of the C4 users will go out and buy one. Honestly, I am amazed C4 doesn't have a windows interface - that would also be a windows mobile interface. The world is full of business people that use Microsoft programs/applications to run their lives. Heck the C4 interface is a copy of Outlook!

While Apple is the ultimate media device - most of the world runs on Microsoft - and always will.

I'm waiting for Cisco to buy C4 and bring it into the 2000's! I hope the founders make out like bandits - and the rest of us make out with a functional C4 website - that truly understands how to promote a product line - and dealers that are fully trained to integrate all aspects of the electronic world.

I am very interested in this pc interface. I think you should set it up like Spybot Search and Destroy - from the perspective of allowing "donations" and input. I know I would donate to the cause. And, bear in mind - that if you beat C4 to the punch - when they release their pc interface - if their version even faintly resembles yours and you have copyrighted it - well...

Mr/Ms jdv...

I totally agree. As I have said before. HA companies have GOT to get out of this mindset of thinking they can lock in the customer. They should be in the business of home control not customer control for goodness sake! This "locked in" philosophy is doomed to fail. The masses simply will NOT commit to a product that is not open source. Like the railroads, the HA platforms have to be opened up. Only then will the masses start using these products.

You give the example of Apple. Look how brilliant the decision was to migrate to intel chips and run Windows within the OSX enviroment. Suddenly it was no longer a hinderence for everyone who uses windows to buy and get into apple products.

Well the same would happen with C4. If there was a windows (and OSX) software controller, suddenly there would be no barrier for ANY home computer user to make that crucial decision to purchase the C4 product. There is a least ONE networked computer in pretty much EVERY household these days. Certainly those worth exploring as potential customers. Why wouldn't ANY company want to get a piece of this action?

Sure I know what detractors of this argument are going to say..."It'll only drop the sales of controllers" This is bunkum. You've got to get INTO the home in the first place! I'll throw in my sonos experience here. Their Desktop controller has NOT detracted me from buying or adding to their product. To the contrary. It facilitates it's use. I still have 8 zones with 3 Sonos handheld controllers as well as software controllers on my networked macs and PC's

I'd do the same with C4...you cannot have enough controllers and access points to any platform. PC's are great, but they aren't portable and they have a lot of other inconveniences. Adding a Windows and OSX controller would NOT hinder C4 sales. It would boost them.

• 1 year later...

Hi, New to C4, been reading tons of post here, and this PC app is just what C4 needs. So, what has happened to this idea???

thanks for all the useful info here. Although I am just starting with my C4 project, so far it is clear to me from all the post, that support at the company level is poor to none. Too bad, the product has so much potential.

thanks for any reply

Archived