C4 Forums | Control4

Composer HE questions - I just got it...

C4Newbie

1- It says Composer HE v1.3 on the activation code. I assume I can download an upgrade to 1.7 when I install?

2- Can I install this on multiple PC’s (office / home) or is it licensed for just one?

3- Can I access my system remotely with this or do I have to be ON my network (in the house)?

4- Since I already have 4sight, can I hold onto the additional 1 year license that comes with HE and use it after my current license runs out?

Any other tips / tricks to using this for a newbie?

Thanks,

1. I think you need to get the updated version from your dealer, or from whoever sold you HE.

2. I believe it's licensed for one PC, but I'm not sure there.

3. I've never been entirely clear on this, I'm sure someone else will pipe up.

4. I believe it will add the subscription duration to your current year.

So really, not much certainty I guess. But something to tide you over till people with actual knowledge and expertise can weigh in . . .

--Jason

1) you'll need to get the upgraded HE installer from your dealer

2) Just one PC to my knowledge

3) You have to be ON your network for it to work, 4sight at my.control4.com is what allows you remote access

4) should be able to, I dont see why not?

2) I've got composer he program installed on both my desktop and laptop. It's very handy obviously, to be able to make changes whether I'm in my office or in the bedroom. Hope I'm not violating any copyright...

tum

2) I've got composer he program installed on both my desktop and laptop. It's very handy obviously, to be able to make changes whether I'm in my office or in the bedroom. Hope I'm not violating any copyright...

tum

Same.........very handy. I don't see there being an issue, it's not like I could or would want to use both copies at the same time!

tum

For shame. I'm telling the C4 police!

Here is the actual relevant verbiage (i.e. some parts omitted) from the Composer HE license agreement for version 1.7.1.290 posted on the C4 dealer support site. Your dealer can provide the updated version of the Composer HE software.

==========

Technical Support Bulletin

Composer HE update for 1.7.1

January 7, 2009

Customers who have purchased previous versions of Composer Home Edition (HE) and are updating their Control4 systems to release 1.7.1 are entitled to a no-charge upgrade to Composer HE 1.7.1. This upgrade is required if they want to continue to use Composer HE on their Control4 system after it is updated to release 1.7.1.

Composer Home Edition is a licensed software product, and is licensed on a per Control4 customer basis. It can be installed on one or more computers associated with the systems used by the customer who has purchased the license. The license activation for a previously installed Composer HE system will still be in effect after the update has been applied. No additional activation is required to use the updated version of Composer HE.

==========

Please notice the bold text above.

Makes total sense too, if you think about it. If more than one computer is logged into the system at the same time and both making changes, system freaks out and locks up. Happened to us on a job by total accident when I jumped into CP to add a dimmer and two 2-buttons, while my other guy was downstairs working on the security system. Poor lil HC-300 didn't like that.

You can load it on as many computers as you want, but only use one of them at a time or... well, trust me... you won't do it again.

Archived