C4 Forums | Control4

LED and DMX options

dbuono

I recently heard about DMX control for LEDs around the house.  As I understand it, the DMX unit (power and control) resides in the AV closet and then you are able to integrate LED into keypads/etc.  Can anyone recommend good DMX units that work with Control 4?  Ones with available drivers, ease of use, etc?

Thank you

I agree, I have a controller from Engineering Solutions c/- @jackstone

I bought a bunch of the PX decoders from China.

I bought the licence from @jackstone

I now have 3 pool lights, an LED strip behind a waterfall and an infinity coffee table running RGB with multiple scenes etc.

I'm also going to be using additional decoders to run more garden lights - even if I don't go for RGB, as these decoders are a cheaper solution than outdoor transformers and 230V/12V relays... even including additional indoor transformers to boost power output...

3 hours ago, brucecampbell said:

I agree, I have a controller from Engineering Solutions c/- @jackstone

I bought a bunch of the PX decoders from China.

I bought the licence from @jackstone

I now have 3 pool lights, an LED strip behind a waterfall and an infinity coffee table running RGB with multiple scenes etc.

I'm also going to be using additional decoders to run more garden lights - even if I don't go for RGB, as these decoders are a cheaper solution than outdoor transformers and 230V/12V relays... even including additional indoor transformers to boost power output...

Got any pics of the infinity table??  I’ve been itching for a fun project and have been looking into them.  My kids (3 girls) would absolutely go crazy for it.  I’m the cool dad now that they’re a little bit older.

3 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Got any pics of the infinity table??  I’ve been itching for a fun project and have been looking into them.  My kids (3 girls) would absolutely go crazy for it.  I’m the cool dad now that they’re a little bit older.

I'll take some tonight and post tomorrow.

It was a nice little project for the kids and I to complete.

17 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Cool thanks. 

Built the table when we built the house 9 years ago,

The base is MDF and houses my Sub Woofer.

The top is 1200x1200x12mm black glass.

Just recently turned it into an infinity table - the only hard part is getting the LED's perfectly aligned so the spread is even - I still need to make some minor adjustments before gluing permanently. (with too many adjustments, the tape on the back of the led strip is not so permanent anymore.... 

20170830_200816_resized.jpg

IMG_1606.JPG

On 1/24/2018 at 9:05 AM, dbuono said:

I recently heard about DMX control for LEDs around the house.  As I understand it, the DMX unit (power and control) resides in the AV closet and then you are able to integrate LED into keypads/etc.  Can anyone recommend good DMX units that work with Control 4?  Ones with available drivers, ease of use, etc?

Thank you

http://response-box.com/gear/2014/05/control4-dmx-control-using-rs-232-dmx-engine/

This is the box you need.

Get in touch with Jerome

And here are the decoders I use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-PX24500-DMX512-Decoder-driver-RGB-controller-for-12V-24V-LED-strip-light/401299271459?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

They work well, however I've only been using them for three years and one is already leaking power on the green circuit, so am about to swap it out.

20 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I think you have some additional integration to do with C4 - What's that other remote doing on your coffee table in photo 1?

Yep - that is the remote and thermostat for my Escea gas fireplace.

Escea have since integrated with C4 thanks to @alanchow however they won't retrofit the technology into my model.

I was at one stage looking to brake open the remote and solder in some wires to control the buttons but never got around to it.

It would be nice to have integration, but no biggie for us.

Archived