C4 Forums | Control4

Component video matrix switch to use with C4

id4

As long as you realize this doesnt do both audio & video at the same time (if using component video) it probably works fine.

I dont know why you'd want to distribute video without audio though unless you have a separate audio distribution system and are willing to do all the setup to make both in sync at all times...

All,

Thanks for the response.

I am looking for a matrix switch that will do the video switching for all the non-HT rooms as I already have C4 16-ch amp doing the stereo audio distribution.

Btw, for (pre-wired) HT rooms, I have dedicated receivers (like Denons) to do the 5.1 audio, which also does the video switching in those rooms.

Also, I am hoping to use the video matrix switch to overcome the limitation of the number of video inputs available on the receivers. By using a dedicated video matrix switch (with coax/digital audio), all I need is one set of HD AV inputs (component video +coax audio) on the HT receivers to view all av sources. For other rooms, I am planning to take component over Cat5 route, so I can have various video sources available in all the non HT rooms in addition to the current audio distribution.

Any comments on this approach? Anybody has similar setup ?

Thanks

The sony & C4 audio switches only do stereo though, right? So if you were distributing component and had a receiver at a location you wouldnt be able to do digital coax and have surround sound, would you?

The Control4 audio matrix switch is a 16 input, 16 output stereo audio matrix.

The sony/control4 component matrix switch is an 12x12 matrix that uses cat5 baluns. It features 8 component and 4 composite video inputs.

*edit* To answer your question, no you would not be able to use surround sound switching with the 16 zone matrix. You would need something like the Borrego if you wanted to switch digital coax/optical surround sound. Or you would need the Sony/Control4 gear and a seperate matrix soley for switching the optical/digital coax.

Depending on your needs, the Borrego or equivalent matrix is hard to beat.

As you all mentioned, Sony/C4 switch is also video only, and the only advantage is, it has component-2-Cat5 baluns built-in. Not sure whether it comes with 12 Cat5-2-component converters to be used on the receiving end.

Also, does anybody know what is the price on that C4/Sony switch?

Btw, what you all think of an Autopatch 1Y16 (16x16 - lot of room to grow and C4 has serial driver??) or 1YDM (8x8) matrix switch along with the Cat5 baluns on both the ends (can be added as needed basis)? This way, I can make use of 3 pairs of Cat5 for component video signals and fourth pair for IR control of the display device.

Thanks

As you all mentioned, Sony/C4 switch is also video only, and the only advantage is, it has component-2-Cat5 baluns built-in. Not sure whether it comes with 12 Cat5-2-component converters to be used on the receiving end.

Also, does anybody know what is the price on that C4/Sony switch?

Btw, what you all think of an Autopatch 1Y16 (16x16 - lot of room to grow and C4 has serial driver??) or 1YDM (8x8) matrix switch along with the Cat5 baluns on both the ends (can be added as needed basis)? This way, I can make use of 3 pairs of Cat5 for component video signals and fourth pair for IR control of the display device.

Thanks

The control4/sony piece does not have the receiving baluns included. MSRP on the 12x12 Sony is $3,000. MSRP for the baluns are $150 each.

I know some autopatch pieces have drivers written already, just not sure which ones. You just have to determine what you need to run to each zone and your budget and go from there.

thecodeman,

Thanks for the information on the c4 switch.

I am trying to achieve the following with my current setup.

My setup includes 2 HT rooms that are pre-wired for 5.1 and 6 other rooms where I have two channel stereo audio switched by C4 16-channel amp and coax/cat5 runs for video feeds.

Currently, both the HT rooms are using dedicated receivers (Denon and HK) for both audio and video switching. The first problem that I am facing now is that these receivers ran out of the Video inputs so I need to figure out a way have more video inputs switched via a matrix switcher, so I don't have to worry about replacing the receiver.

Also, I am thinking that video matrix switch approach would eventually help me switch the same video inputs to all the other 6 non-HT rooms via Cat5 baluns.

At this time, I am looking for a low cost video matrix switch to solve this problem and came across a few as I mentioned in my earlier posts.

Looks like the Autopatch 1Y16 has most input/output possibility for the price and C4 seems to have serial driver for it.

What you all think?

thanks

Well it is easier if there's already a driver for it :) But for me, it doesnt have to look that awesome as it would be hidden away in a closet. Now, if I had the room to put my rack on display, it would definately have to look cool :)

But to answer your question if the specs are the same, and people are happy with the cheaper ones, then it's $ in your pocket.

I agree' date=' it's an awesome unit.

http://www.neoprointegrator.com/concord.php[/quote']

Does the concord have a means to inject IR into those same two cat5 cables used for a/v distribution?

No. It does not have IR inputs for that, nor do the in-wall receivers have IR outputs.

You'll need something like the Avatrix

http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/AVX-562/AVAtrix/5/1

I agree' date=' it's an awesome unit.

http://www.neoprointegrator.com/concord.php[/quote']

Does the concord have a means to inject IR into those same two cat5 cables used for a/v distribution?

No. It does not have IR inputs for that, nor do the in-wall receivers have IR outputs.

http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/AVX-562/AVAtrix/5/1

Correct. We usually drill a small hole on the hornet plate to put a 3.5mm mono female jack to plug in an emitter or put it onto the nearby ethernet plate. Takes all but 10 minutes per location. Rumor has it that they are working on it.

No. It does not have IR inputs for that' date=' nor do the in-wall receivers have IR outputs.

http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/AVX-562/AVAtrix/5/1[/quote']

Correct. We usually drill a small hole on the hornet plate to put a 3.5mm mono female jack to plug in an emitter or put it onto the nearby ethernet plate. Takes all but 10 minutes per location. Rumor has it that they are working on it.

Would be a cool feature.

Am I correct in summarising that for component video and surround sound to be distributed you need a switch that will allow you to run: 1) individual component cables and digital coax to each room; or 2) cat5 to each room (2 for video and 1 for sound), with baluns to convert cat5 back to component and surround sound? You would then run a separate cat5 for the C4 control at the various rooms

Apart from finding the relevant switches, is there any advantages or disadvantages in running cat5 or component cables in a relatively ordinary sized house (eg. 2 level with 10x20m)?

You are correct.

The advantage of running cat5 is that the cable is cheap in bulk and readily available, also easier to pull in some cases.However, the switches/baluns are significantly more expensive.

The advantage of minicoax, is that it is easier than running 3+ coax cables. While this costs more than a 1000' spool of cat5, you can use cheaper/more available options of matrix switches.

Either way, you cant go wrong.

Archived