C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - TP-Link Wifi Smart Home Driver Suite

alanchow

12 hours ago, indecision said:

Anyone else seeing the HS220 dimmer switches show on the lighting page as always being turned on?  The slider stays at whatever level they are programmed to turn on to and the on/off bulb indicator the right of the slider stays lit (when turned off).

Definitely one of my favorite drivers...thanks Alan for all the work y'all have put into this one!

I have noticed some oddities with my HS220's. I haven't had a moment to pull logs etc. Its odd as they control and connect properly but they always show as on. Will try and pull logs over the next few days and submit a ticket if needed. 

On 3/31/2021 at 10:08 AM, coredyn said:

I have noticed some oddities with my HS220's. I haven't had a moment to pull logs etc. Its odd as they control and connect properly but they always show as on. Will try and pull logs over the next few days and submit a ticket if needed. 

Yep, mine always show on as well, though do work when clicking the button to turn off/on, change dimmness, but...yes...always shows on in my navigator.

53 minutes ago, GogDog said:

Yep, mine always show on as well, though do work when clicking the button to turn off/on, change dimmness, but...yes...always shows on in my navigator.

Watch your navigator for 30 seconds.  I think that every time the system polls for data, you will see the slider go to 0, and then immediately return to 100.  Or go from on, to off and back on again if it's a non-dimmable switch.  That's provided that the physical state of the switch is actually OFF.

Definitely some weird behavior here, and it's new since I first installed my switches/driver.  Wasn't doing this a few months back.

I’m going to change the subject briefly.  I have a houseful of bulbs that work fairly flawlessly in terms of response and state reporting.  Very happy with the driver as it’s one of my favorites considering how I use it and how inexpensive the devices are. 

My issue is with the plugs (HS103).  I have 4 setup on a powers trip in my rack room where a zigbee server resides.  These 4 do not like to work in C4 consistently, if ever.  On a random occasion they’ll show the proper state and on an even less likely scenario “work”.  They do work every time, just fine in the Kasa app and this really confuses me.  

Thoughts?  

On 4/2/2021 at 2:10 PM, indecision said:

Glad to hear it's not just me seeing that behavior with the HS220's.  Mine also respond fine when turning off/on but the lighting page doesn't update.

On 4/2/2021 at 5:56 AM, GogDog said:

On 4/1/2021 at 3:08 AM, coredyn said:

DIscovered the problem and it is now fixed.  Please update to the latest version of the driver.  If auto update is enabled then it'll update itself upon next check in.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:40 PM, time2jet said:

I’m going to change the subject briefly.  I have a houseful of bulbs that work fairly flawlessly in terms of response and state reporting.  Very happy with the driver as it’s one of my favorites considering how I use it and how inexpensive the devices are. 

My issue is with the plugs (HS103).  I have 4 setup on a powers trip in my rack room where a zigbee server resides.  These 4 do not like to work in C4 consistently, if ever.  On a random occasion they’ll show the proper state and on an even less likely scenario “work”.  They do work every time, just fine in the Kasa app and this really confuses me.  

Thoughts?  

You'll need to capture logs and send it to our helpdesk for us to troubleshoot.

If it is intermittent then the only thing i can think of is network replated issues.  Thing that comes to mind is some people try to reboot their network with it but don't understand that without the network Control4 cannot send an on command to it to turn it back on again.

On 4/5/2021 at 6:14 PM, alanchow said:

DIscovered the problem and it is now fixed.  Please update to the latest version of the driver.  If auto update is enabled then it'll update itself upon next check in.

OK, so...I have 16 Kasa devices...and it looks like each device has its own "automatic updates" setting, like the attached image->

Now...do you have to have all 16 kasa devices all set to "on" for the driver to update? I just checked, and I had changed 15 to "on" and one device to "off" by accident, and the driver hasn't updated.

Or, is it somewhere else where you force a driver update?

1.png

8 minutes ago, GogDog said:

OK, so...I have 16 Kasa devices...and it looks like each device has its own "automatic updates" setting, like the attached image->

Now...do you have to have all 16 kasa devices all set to "on" for the driver to update? I just checked, and I had changed 15 to "on" and one device to "off" by accident, and the driver hasn't updated.

Or, is it somewhere else where you force a driver update?

1.png

you can set them all from the Driver Central master driver to auto update

11 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

you can set them all from the Driver Central master driver to auto update

Thanks...I see that now and yes, setting all to "auto update" does change all 16 kasa drivers to either be on/off.

Right now, the driver central driver says no updates:

Though the kasa device properties all still say "update available, License Activated" as my above screenshot.

2.png

The version is 20210406.  I checked and can see that quite alot of people have updated to this version so i am going to assume it auto-updated correctly (given the large numbers on that version).

If you are not on that version manually update it.

• 2 months later...

Does this driver work with the KP303 which is the three plug power strip?  The original post says that it works with the HS300 which appears to be pretty much the same except the HS300 has 6 outlets compared to 3 in the KP303.  I don't own either of these yet, just wondering.

7 hours ago, zaphod said:

Does this driver work with the KP303 which is the three plug power strip?  The original post says that it works with the HS300 which appears to be pretty much the same except the HS300 has 6 outlets compared to 3 in the KP303.  I don't own either of these yet, just wondering.

Yes it works.  We have a specific KP303 driver in the driver package.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I have KP400 installed with the chowmain driver and seems to be working ok at least with one outlet I have tested so far. What is not working is when the KP400 is unplugged from utility power the native KASA app detects the outlet going offline but Control4 doesn't seem to. This very important for reliable handling of situation when KP400 looses power for one reason or another. Does the driver support detection of KP400 going offline or is there a way to detect it with some clever programming? Driver version below. Thank you.

image.thumb.png.b385a72598d65892954b36693600a332.png

That is a feature our driver does not have.

It sounds like you have other problems you should resolve (power issues and/or wifi issues).

Luckily for us that there are alot of network monitoring tools out there.

My two choices are Domotz or OvrC.

Note OvrC has alot of compatibility with Control4 as it is created by the same company that owns Control4 (SnapOne).

On 8/28/2021 at 5:49 PM, alanchow said:

That is a feature our driver does not have.

It sounds like you have other problems you should resolve (power issues and/or wifi issues).

Luckily for us that there are alot of network monitoring tools out there.

My two choices are Domotz or OvrC.

Note OvrC has alot of compatibility with Control4 as it is created by the same company that owns Control4 (SnapOne).

Just to clarify there are no power or wifi issues going on at the site, all equipment is working as expected. This is really about having a defensive mechanism in case Control4 looses connection to KP400. This can be for any number of reasons such as bad wifi reception in the area where an outlet is deployed or a circuit breaker popping. If this was to happen you for sure want to know Control4 lost connection and notify/display/handle this in a meaningful way and not be in the dark so to speak. 

1 hour ago, aag said:

Just to clarify there are no power or wifi issues going on at the site, all equipment is working as expected. This is really about having a defensive mechanism in case Control4 looses connection to KP400. This can be for any number of reasons such as bad wifi reception in the area where an outlet is deployed or a circuit breaker popping. If this was to happen you for sure want to know Control4 lost connection and notify/display/handle this in a meaningful way and not be in the dark so to speak. 

Yep this is exactly what OvrC and Domotz is developed for.  If you do not have network monitoring installed i highly suggest you look into it as most professional installers utilise this product nowadays to ensure all of their sites are healthy and if not they can be proactive about servicing them.

You can find out more about OvrC and Domotz via the links below.

https://www.ovrc.com/

https://www.domotz.com/

9 hours ago, alanchow said:

Yep this is exactly what OvrC and Domotz is developed for.  If you do not have network monitoring installed i highly suggest you look into it as most professional installers utilise this product nowadays to ensure all of their sites are healthy and if not they can be proactive about servicing them.

You can find out more about OvrC and Domotz via the links below.

https://www.ovrc.com/

https://www.domotz.com/

Thank you, I understand your line of thinking here but the functionality is needed within Control4 driver so you can react to the device being offline - just like the native Kasa app is able to do. Do you think you guys can implement this? I bought the driver but without this functionality it's not a viable solution.

14 minutes ago, aag said:

Thank you, I understand your line of thinking here but the functionality is needed within Control4 driver so you can react to the device being offline - just like the native Kasa app is able to do. Do you think you guys can implement this? I bought the driver but without this functionality it's not a viable solution.

Consider OvRc.  This way you have this functionality for every device in your project.  (Immediately alerts when something drops offline and more).  

The TP-Link driver is an excellent driver.  It wasn’t necessarily written to mimic the Kasa app functions, but instead to have almost all inexpensive Kasa devices function in the Control4 ecosystem.  OvRc was developed to do precisely what you are attempting, only with every device in your project.  

Not sure what Router you are using, but if it’s not OvRc Pro capable, you can add a Pro Hub and get the same functionality.  

Ask your dealer or msg me and I can point you in a good direction.  It’s a worthwhile fantastic addition to any system. 

6 hours ago, aag said:

We don’t have this functionality but am happy to provide you with a refund.

In future please use our 90 day trial to test out our drivers prior to purchase