C4 Forums | Control4

Unifi changes causing any network disruption?

wappinghigh

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Relax Wapp - Mitch is only trying to help

sure but thats what shits me guy thinks this network crap is easy as pie.... Its bloody well not.. Doesn't  he think like I've been at it like 15 hrs already today and like 2 weeks with dealer help and all .. heck.. its 12.30 am here I'm tired of it frankly. If it worked and I could of got skilled help and sorted it, it would have happened already... Cheerio and good night

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Also what version of OS X?

IN my world checking for software updates is like "checking vitals".  I always start there to get a baseline of what I am dealing with.  

IMHO, always the best place to start when you are having problems is to make sure everything is updated.

PS - I really want this fixed cause your rants are NOT the norm.  and they are old

This was the first "stone" thrown f this...

1 minute ago, wappinghigh said:

This was the first "stone" thrown f this...

not intended to be at all.  I was trying to help.  Sorry you interpreted that that way.  

Asking version information is basic troubleshooting - i still standby that statement 100%

anyway like I apologised for all the posts on this last few weeks. That post was out there before he commented with his sarcasm..

stuff this...It's not easy this network stuff. Well not here in my part of the world.. ANd I'd take a guess not in the US or UK either..

Anybody who says or implies it is an absolute soda, is just not painting an accurate picture...

I'd reckon there are hundreds if not thousands of people out there struggling with network problems with medium to large networks on a monthly if not weekly basis...

And when networks go down like this randomly without a known cause its hell on earth trying to sort it...

3 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

anyway like I apologised for all the posts on this last few weeks. That post was out there before he commented with his sarcasm..

stuff this...It's not easy this network stuff. Well not here in my part of the world.. ANd I'd take a guess not in the US or UK either..

Anybody who says or implies it is an absolute soda is a total bullshit artist..

I'd reckon there are hundreds if not thousands of people out there struggling with network problems on large networks on a monthly basis...

And when networks go down like this randomly without a known cause its hell on earth trying to sort it...

Just because you are having network issues doesn't mean thousands have to join your frustration or by default have the same issues. Help was being offered and perhaps a slightly thicker skin and a sense of purpose in your quest would serve you much better.

Broken network = hell on earth,  should this be your biggest problem ! You are a very lucky man dude.

Fire away 

Help was being offered sure.. but with inherent bias against me like I was a dumb arse and just come on here to piss you all off.

Wrong. There has been an attitude brewing that this stuff should only be sorted with the help of some sort of dealer expert and only they should know how to sort it

That is what the C4 "network hardware offer" is all about.. 

What's wrong with coming onto a public forum to seek help?

And yes network frustration is a big problem.

The entire function of a house goes down without a stable network. security, cams, lights the lot..

What the heck are you supposed to do for 72 hrs from Friday night to Monday 8am with a downed network? that happens  daily if not weekly frequency?  

I regard network infrastructure now as an essential service like electricity or sewerage...

But in my part of the world - if I say put C4 package gear in or whatever is there a guarantee it will be fixed 7 days a week?

Lets say I stuck that gear in... and it failed but there is no help for 72 hours or more.. what then? 

that was nasty... its not my f/n fault there have been network problems at my place for over 6 years...

Who’s fault is it then? In all seriousness, what equipment are you running and how is it setup? I can’t imagine why networking would be any different in Australia than it is in the US. I’ve not had problems for a long time, but when I did was running crappy consumer grade hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Who’s fault is it then? In all seriousness, what equipment are you running and how is it setup? I can’t imagine why networking would be any different in Australia than it is in the US. I’ve not had problems for a long time, but when I did was running crappy consumer grade hardware.

Cisco unmanaged switches with a Draytek Router. Set up like the CY diagram. And sure don't you think I haven't  explored alternatives replacing all that already?

I just need convincing I will be better off.. or that the C4 monitored network solution with all their hardware will solve it.. and they will monitor it 24/7 and if it goes down fix it promptly 

nobody has given me that impression as yet.

Cheers 

Cisco unmanaged switches with a Draytek Router. Set up like the CY diagram. And sure don't you think I haven't  explored alternatives replacing all that already?
I just need convincing I will be better off.. that the C4 monitored network solution with all their hardware will solve it.. nobody has given me that impression as yet.
Cheers 

I don’t have a “C4 monitored network solution”. I run a PFSense firewall, two Luxul switches (one PoE, one not), and 3 UniFi AP’s (two are LR, one is not). I’ve got a fair amount of stuff going on, including HDMI over IP matrix distribution. Everything is controlled via Serial or IP.

I haven’t read through the thread to find the diagram Cy posted, but I will. I have 4 kids + my wife and there are always tons of friends here. I put the kids on one VLAN/SSID, I put guests on one (secured via Captive Portal with a 6 hour shelf life) and everything else on the main network. I did the guests this way so I could easily give them a simple password but not worry about them being able to access devices on my network. I set the kids up on their own so I could have more strict firewall rules in place. It’s rock solid and has been for many years. If it wasn’t, it would most certainly be my fault.

Sure. I haven't even got close to setting up a network on VLANS etc...

Look ya'll think it's simple just to get a network engineer in here at the drop of hat.? It aint.

I tried that 3 years ago with a different dealer and like I said in another post pretty much every change made was tossed out when we moved...

heck I don't know its now 1.36am I'm tired been at it all day.

Catch ya

No one is saying you need to go with Package. 

Look, I rent a basement apt in DC. We share an internet connection with the owner upstairs... That means I’m using the built is ISP router! *gasp* While I wouldn’t do it by choice, it actually works well. We have all the upstairs stuff, my switch in the basement, C4, wemo crap all over, ring, hue hubs, my own crapping access points, the built in isp access point is on, my wife’s work IP phone, my work IP phone, my wife’s pile of Mac books she uses, my 3 windows machines, we both use different vpn’s for work. 

If you’re thinking of starting over... keep the network gear simple. Draytek router... get out of here with that... that should be illegal for a tinkerer like you to have ;)

Sure. I haven't even got close to setting up a network on VLANS etc...
Look ya'll think it's simple just to get a network engineer in here at the drop of hat.? It aint.
I tried that 3 years ago with a different dealer and like I said in another post pretty much every change made was tossed out when we moved...
heck I don't know its now 1.36am I'm tired been at it all day.
Catch ya

I’m no Network Engineer...I just used Google. I set the VLAN(s) up in the UI for UniFi and then tagged a couple of ports on my switches.

I agree the UniFi controller deal is a pain in the ass. I need to buy a cloud key as well, but I think I may need their USG in order to do so...I need to research it further.

I’ve moved with my setup and kept pretty much all of it in tact. Why did you throw it all out?

3 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

I’m no Network Engineer...I just used Google. I set the VLAN(s) up in the UI for UniFi and then tagged a couple of ports on my switches.

I agree the UniFi controller deal is a pain in the ass. I need to buy a cloud key as well, but I think I may need their USG in order to do so...I need to research it further.

I’ve moved with my setup and kept pretty much all of it in tact. Why did you throw it all out?

You don't need the USG to get the CK

Hi guys,

I do Unifi installs day in day out, and have been doing for almost 3 years now. With all my c4 and RTI jobs i put in unifi and once its properly configured its amazing. 

PM me if you guys need any help with hardware or setup, or to configure. you can share you cloud access with me if you and i can go in a tweak a few things. 

Currently i have a residential home with over 15 ac pros, 2x 24 port poe switches, 1 48 port poe switch, 10 unifi g3s and nothing has been touched or rebooted for over a year. it just works. I cant fault unifi. 

Thanks 

12 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

I was referring to throwing out the routers settings and configuration.. things like ditching Bind IP to mac etc...

Archived