C4 Forums | Control4

Unifi changes causing any network disruption?

wappinghigh

I was referring to throwing out the routers settings and configuration.. things like ditching Bind IP to mac etc...

One thing I did do is I have all my devices setup with DHCP reservations. I don’t know if that contributes to my stability or not, but it really is rock solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

One thing I did do is I have all my devices setup with DHCP reservations. I don’t know if that contributes to my stability or not, but it really is rock solid.

Sure. There have been many pieces of advice like that I have had over the years. Its swung from no fixed IPs at all to "everything fixed" (I currently do a mixture of both), to DHCP reservations (I don't do that), to Bind IP to MAC (I once paid for and had someone do that for me), to "managed switches are bad" (always use unmanaged which is what I currently do), to managed switches are good ( we can use them to maintain and setup the network etc)... who knows what is the correct thing to do? 

Sure. There have been many pieces of advice like that I have had over the years. Its swung from no fixed IPs at all to "everything fixed" (I currently do a mixture of both), to DHCP reservations (I don't do that), to Bind IP to MAC (I once paid for and had someone do that for me), to "managed switches are bad" (always use unmanaged which is what I currently do), to managed switches are good ( we can use them to maintain and setup the network etc)... who knows what is the correct thing to do? 

I would say what you’re doing is the INCORRECT thing to do, because it doesn’t work.

BTW what is the cause of the message "server taking too long to start" trying to run Unifi controller?

Could that be due to a slow network - network issues? >>>?

Give that -  isn't that chicken and egg situation? Other than getting one of these keys how do you firmware upgrade in the situation of a bad netwprk given the WAPS could very well be contributing to the problem? I'm miffed why you cant do this with the iphone app....

Any other alternatives?

I'm working on that whilst waiting for help and advice re the network...

BTW what is the cause of the message "server taking too long to start" trying to run Unifi controller?
Could that be due to a slow network - network issues? >>>?
Give that -  isn't that chicken and egg situation? Other than getting one of these keys how do you firmware upgrade in the situation of a bad netwprk given the WAPS could very well be contributing to the problem? I'm miffed why you cant do this with the iphone app....
Any other alternatives?
I'm working on that whilst waiting for help and advice re the network...

I don’t see how the WAP could cause the hard wired network to go down. Then again, I’m not a network guy.

3 hours ago, mujtaba.khokhar said:

Currently i have a residential home with over 15 ac pros, 2x 24 port poe switches, 1 48 port poe switch, 10 unifi g3s and nothing has been touched or rebooted for over a year. it just works. I cant fault unifi. 

I like my Unifi stuff too, but shouldn’t you be doing upgrades every once in a while?

4 hours ago, zaphod said:

I like my Unifi stuff too, but shouldn’t you be doing upgrades every once in a while?

Sure. I let it go. Took my eye off them...  My bad I guess.  Got distracted with another project (the HTPC BTC miner, upgrading some macs, upgrading to 4K etc etc)... dropped the ball on Unifi I guess ..WAPS are the sort of thing that should just "keep working" IMHO... I'll try loading and running the controller on a gaming PC...

Just for the record the problem was I left these alone just doing their thing (auto upgrade off) for about 6 months I'd recon, they seemed to be working fine (I could surf the net etc, but I didn't loggin to Unifi controller a while)..and when I upgraded my main OSX device (which was running Unifi Controller) nobody told me the Unifi Controller was server specific... 

The fact this cannot be easily ported is a total farce. It didn't even port over correctly  during a automatic copy settings from prev OSX .

This has created one heck of a headache and the three WAP's are still not working properly so I have disconnected them and so far this seems to have improved the network alot so lets wait see what happens...

has anybody ever a done a reloggin into server (I happend to have backup file so I worked out how to do that)?. What a farce.. then there is the manual firmware upgrade process (another farce)... 

They are likely to be turned into frisbies or I will stick them on ebay ...

Unifi is a total joke IMHO the way they have handled all this server thing....

my advice is to AVOID atm

W

3 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

Unifi is a total joke IMHO the way they have handled all this server thing....

Honestly, i think your a total joke.  I know I said I wasn't chimming in but you clearly don't know what you are doing. EVER. You freaking come here and complain and about everything and don't contribute anything positive. all you do is bitch that everything in the world is broken.

IMHO hire a company to manage your stuff and stay out of it - you clearly can't hang.

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Honestly, i think your a total joke.  I know I said I wasn't chimming in but you clearly don't know what you are doing. EVER. You freaking come here and complain and about everything and don't contribute anything positive. all you do is bitch that everything in the world is broken.

IMHO hire a company to manage your stuff and stay out of it - you clearly can't hang.

With all dues respect try not comment on local situations that you know absolute nothing about thanks

oh and bindings macs to a management controller is a security feature. Do you want someone to get on your network fire up a random unifi controller and start managing your APs? No, and if that happened you would be saying UniFI is a total joke that they have no security

Just now, wappinghigh said:

Does it ever occur to you parts of the world even those that speak perfect English as ya'll don;'t operate the same way as the good ol US of A? 

I clearly don't know as much internationally but TCP/IP is TCP/IP.  and i do know knowledgeable IT people that I have met at conferences from all over the world.

Just now, wappinghigh said:

As an example Unifi is sold on line here as a consumer grade product which is clearly totally not (as I found out)... 

I would categorize it as pro-sumer.  Which is what you want from the features.  You don't want Linksys

Almost the entire amount of Control4 here is sold out of Audio and TV shops. These guys have zero knowledge of networking...And  I mean zero... less than my working knowledge.It's basically sold as a Universal remote for one room. Usually just the home theatre.

You just assume there is an army of high skilled networking guys running around at the drop of the hat someone can call 1800fix my network and KBOOM they arrive like the electrican at you door stop and sort things... or companies sitting there ready to loggin to your home 24/7 (wrong again)

They just don't exist.

Let me say that again

They don't exist. Maybe in Banks and high networked areas like that 

otherwise NOPE 

And I live 10 km from the centre of a city of 5 Million people.. 

Yet every piece of network gear you can buy right up to commercial grade is sold here on line with zero support... and no differentiation  

There is ZERO aftermarket help.

Pretty much Everyone who puts in a network here does it DIY and learns on the fly using google etc...

If you didn't do that here you wouldn't hardly even get the internet at home.

In fact the telcos don't even support routers.. 

If you want one of those you DIY or it doesn't happen. Telcos then absolve themsleves of all responsibility there is no help, Online even... just on dedicated forums like this...

If I hadn't put that network in myself, I would have never even come across Control4 as a consideration. It wouldn't have crossed my mind.. 

I seeked out Control 4 myself having seen how sonos worked via network. Without a network No sonos Without Sonos no C4... 

There is ZERO advertising here on the product. 

It was thru learning about networks myself that I understood what control4 was and how it was different to opposition products like Crestron etc 

Without  DIY networking, It would have never have been on my radar as a multi room setup and HA product and it wouldn't have even gone into my home... 

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

As for a lack of network experience in AV, that is why control4 bought Pakedge and started a certification program to train AV people on networking

Sure care to answer my questions on that on other thread? I found out about Pakedge from here.

Without this forum I wouldn't have even known it existed 

22 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

so your saying people should move? btw calling @alanchow, i'm sure he knows skilled mates?

He was my second dealer he kindly stepped in because the first AV guy didn't have much of a clue as I recall its a while ago now.... I only met Alan because before that he worked for the distributor at the time. I got off my own arse to go straight to the distributor. Otherwise the product would still be half sitting in boxes.. unfortunately Alan moved onto just drivers. And the guys he worked for went out of Business. Luckly a third great sole operator one man band guy stepped in who I have a great relationship with. In fact all the distributors lost the work here it;s been thru 2-3 of them in the time i have owned the product... Control4 now operates here direct.  Thank you. 

Archived