C4 Forums | Control4

Unifi changes causing any network disruption?

wappinghigh

16 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I know Alan was your dealer ;) 

Well sure everyone knows that it aint no secret. Just giving you a bit of extra background how different things are here that's all. Maybe help you understand the situation a bit better :) . And like I said I'm in the centre one of the 2 biggest cities. Forget about it in the outback... 60 min out even.. forget about it... 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you’re having problems with Unifi Controller, buy the cloud key, delete the software off your PCs/Mac and reset all your waps.

Enroll them into the cloud key.  Now you have easy remote access and the burden is taken off your local machines.  Updating through the cloud key is also super easy too.

That will at least help with your Unifi problems. 

I don’t think it’s that different here. I installed my stuff all myself. We all have the same internet. I don’t know who I’d call (other than a friend) if I needed network advice. Maybe ask the guy who manages the network at your office he wants a side job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

Sure. I let it go. Took my eye off them...  My bad I guess.  Got distracted with another project (the HTPC BTC miner, upgrading some macs, upgrading to 4K etc etc)... dropped the ball on Unifi I guess ..WAPS are the sort of thing that should just "keep working" IMHO... I'll try loading and running the controller on a gaming PC...

I was actually responding to Mujtaba as he said that he hadn't touched or rebooted his Unifi stuff in a long time.

^ I'm glad I could provide ya'll with entertainment value!

Seriously though I hang shite on Unifi here because they darn well deserve being hang shite on...

It now looks like Unifi  WAPS have been partly if not completely responsible for bringing down my network.

Everyone thinks Unifi is the best thing since sliced bread.. maybe it is... but this is a classic example of it's not so much the product but the implementation of it in the marketplace that matters...

Reminds me of the Sonos issue with  managed switches all those years ago.. Did SonoS tell their customers ya'll better not dual plug those ZP's into managed switches because if you do your going to develop one heck  of a headache with your home networks...

No they did not. Sonos users found that out the hard way.....

Same thing here. 

Did anyone tell me the best thing to do with Unifi is to enroll them in the cloud key ? (BTW thanks for that lippavisual) 

No they did not.

Did anyone tell me ya'll better do that becasue if you are running Unifi Controller on your own OSX server, when you move that to a different mac, UNifi just aint going to follow right along all nicely an' all and work properly again? 

No they did not.

Did anyone say ya'll better set those Unifi WAPS to auto firmware update?

Was there a Unifi manual to warn people about all this?

Its very easy to be the wise guy with the benefit of hindsight.

Would a sound knowledge of wireshark been helpful to figure what the heck was going on here? probably?

Would having someone scanning my network 24/7 over recent weeks have picked this up with error messages or something being sent to him/her? probably.

I started out a few weeks back suspecting something was up and telling ya'll random stuff happens on peoples networks and got blowback like "Wap what you complaining about" our "netwroks work 24/7 and have been up and working for years..."

Well random events can cause problems with folks networks.

This episode proves it.

All I did was upgrade a new Macbook pro and buy an OWC Doc and plug them all in to the network... Ya'll get your dealers to do that for you?

Maybe ya'll do and no doubt network scans by them after such a change just might pick bad storms developing before they come crashing on ya door... 

Thanks to all for their help. Mitch, Zaphod, Ilove, Sonic, and anyone else who reached out to lend a hand.

Appreciate it...

Things seem to be settling down now these WAPS have been removed...

W

Wap you rant against technology always and generally speaking this points back to you. You don't know how manage their aps or set them up wrong. You. Not the product. You. You.

Follow the advice in the thread. Reset your aps. Join them to a cloud key and keep em updated.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Wap you rant against technology always and generally speaking this points back to you. You don't know how manage their aps or set them up wrong. You. Not the product. You. You.

Follow the advice in the thread. Reset your aps. Join them to a cloud key and keep em updated.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sure whatever you say Mitch.. (and like Unifi tells all their customers how to set them all up proper and all?)

Anyway. Nope I prefer to just ditch products that don't end up being stable and work properly on their own.... 

Generally speaking in my opinion if the implementation of a product like this not thought thru properly from the outset and isn't rolled out and supported properly in the field and just left for folks like me to find problems and to field test themselves?, then more problems develop later on. It's usually a sign of bad decision making at fundamental management level..

I have my views on that as you know.

Cheers for the help anyway.

W

As of me posting this, we have 37 different sites on our controller running some combination of UniFi gear. Some sites have just access points (of varying generations), some have AP's, switches and routers. Aside from an rare piece dying or an occasional piece being DOA, we have never encountered a UniFi device taking down a network like you're describing.

This sounds like a configuration issue to me which I can't verify without seeing how you had them configured. Do I think Ubiquiti gear is the best? No; there are certainly more robust options out there with better support and QC. I run UniFi AP's at home, but use Cisco for switching and pfSense for routing. The price point of UniFi gear is very attractive for both us and the clients we service.

As others said - bring these complaints to the UBNT forums, or /r/ubiquiti on Reddit. Folks here are happy to help but you'll have much more exposure in those places to the issues you're encountering.

Short of updating firmware or swapping out a piece of equipment for testing, I do not have to touch my network gear. It works, as it should in any network that is configured correctly.

6 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

you have unrealistic expectations for technology.

Maybe I do Mitch.

If unifi management had thought this thru properly Mitch there would be no OSX Unifi server and they would have launched using the cloud key day one..

There would be no "leave auto firmware off" button

And they would have not launched (what is clearly not a consumer grade product) right smack bang on consumers day one... 

People ask me why Control4 is dealer only?

Well folks following this thread now know why (as you do my friend) Anyway.

It is what it is..

Thanks again

W

Just now, wappinghigh said:

If unifi management had thought this thru properly Mitch there would be no OSX Unifi server and they would have launched using the cloud key day one..

Didn't you say you migrated to a new laptop? This introduces a number of variables that could be hard to account for.

Take a backup via the controller software on the old machine, restore it in a fresh install on the new one. This is not difficult stuff to troubleshoot.

1 minute ago, THawes said:

Didn't you say you migrated to a new laptop? This introduces a number of variables that could be hard to account for.

Take a backup via the controller software on the old machine, restore it in a fresh install on the new one. This is not difficult stuff to troubleshoot.

Sure easy to say with the benefit of hindsight..

Done all that.

Restored the server from an old backup. Didn't solve the problem..cheers   

3 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Sure easy to say with the benefit of hindsight.

That's the problem here, this should have been foresight - backup before changing things or migrating computers.

Do you backup your cell phone before a major software update? Does your dealer backup your Control4 project before updating your system? The answer to these should probably be "yes" because they are quick and simple things to CYA in case of an issue.

This is not a technology problem.

1 minute ago, THawes said:

That's the problem here, this should have been foresight - backup before changing things or migrating computers.

Do you backup your cell phone before a major software update? Does your dealer backup your Control4 project before updating your system? The answer to these should probably be "yes" because they are quick and simple things to CYA in case of an issue.

This is not a technology problem.

What are you talking about?

I just said I restored the Unifi Server running on OSX from a backup (of Unifi Server..)

I'm continuing to post on this thread warning you guys ya'll better move to the Unifi cloud key

Did anyone tell me there would be OSX Unifi server problems before migrating to a new laptop?

NO... 

Did anyone tell me to move to cloud key before I started having problems or made that move?

No 

I'm telling ya'll this story because there are alot of Unifi fan boys on this forum and darn right it affects Control4 because as you all know Control4 is a network dependant platform.. 

58 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

the technology wasn't there at the time.  Technology is evolutionary.  

Yes but they could have withdrawn OSX Unifi Controller server 

And/or, told/made/forced everyone to move to Cloud key 

Or warned users of OSX Unifi server move problems..

or realeased a firmware update that does the same, forces auto firmware upgrade etc etc... 

last I checked OSX Unifi Controller was still available for upload and latest patches are on their website...

last I checked Unifi was not dealer only...  

If Unifi WAPS are causing network problems and the netwrok is slowing/crashing, how do ya'll suppose you can use OSX Controller server to login to them and see what's happening, update their firmware etc.. 

first of all they were all in adoption failed mode...

Fortunately I managed to do it, get a back up of an old OSX Unifi server (by loading an old .unf backup file,  log on, upload that and take alook..

The WAPs were all on old firmware, I tried updating this but couldn't. Then they were all in disconnect mode... couldn't get the out of this even with a power pull

All this while remaining live on the network, taking wifi traffic even..

I never got any warning about this in the past..

As far as I new they have all been working fine.. I've been using them for wifi for months... 

Archived