C4 Forums | Control4

Carrier Infinity with control4

malfaqih92

Hey everyone. I have a carrier infinity system and control4 home automation. I just got new carrier infinity thermostats (SYSTXCCITC01-B) installed today. 

I was told by the HVAC tech that i can only use that thermostat with my HVAC system.

I would like to integrate the system with control4, some people are saying I need a SAM module. I've done some online research and I haven't seen anything recently about that. Most posts were from 2006 till 2011 on HVAC forums.

Can some one please help

I also have a Carrier Infinity Tstat but it is several years old.  I was also told that I need a SAM.  In some ways that makes no sense since there must be IP connectivity as you can use an app or web interface to access your Tstat.  That is a stupid design if you ask me.

That info is correct. Only way to integrate Carrier Infinity in Control4 is the SAM module and serial cable. Search these forums on the topic. There are a few posts over the years... I’ve probably researched this topic for hours on end, attempted to buy a Sam and after a couple years of an eBay search I was able to find one. That said this is not a perfect integration at all...

You will not get any sort of scheduling features in C4. All must be done on carrier side. You can control temp set point but that’s about it. Maybe select preset...

It may or may not work with your T-Stats. Have to be a certain revision number... this can be found in the SAM documentation I’ve linked. 

AND.... after I did all that work just a few months later my 12 year old Carrier system shit the bed and I had it yanked out and replaced with the cheapest single speed system I could find (Goodman) and Control4 T-Stat. So if you want the SAM and compatible T-stat I have one I’m not using.

ccrwf-03si.pdf

SAM01-01XA.pdf

you do need a SAM (unfortunately)and it requires a serial connection to control4. utilizing the new v2 driver available on 2.6.0 and up you can also access all features including 7 day scheduling, humidity, and vacation mode toggle/duration. these features are only visible on navigator with myhome apps (android and IOS)along with control4 touchscreens (infinity edge or above) and not viewable (for some reason) on your controllers TV OSD.

https://drivers.control4.com/solr/drivers/browse?&q=&fq=manufacturer:"Carrier"

It is clear that you need a SAM - but why?  Is it just because Carrier is closed-minded and doesn't allow anyone else to access the system?  Is is asinine that you need to install an RS-232 interface to a thermostat that has IP connectivity.  And now to hear that there are other drawbacks as well!  

My next furnace will be ABC - Anything But Carrier, and I will need another one soon as my house was expanded and renovated in 92 and has two furnaces.  One of them was replaced a couple of years ago but the other one is now 26 years old.  

I put in two C4 t-stats, one for each furnace/ac, when I installed C4 a decade ago.  But one of the thermostats gave me a lot of trouble and I replaced it with a dumb thermostat.  Then the furnace was replaced so I went with the Carrier thermostat - but there is no reason that you have to go with their thermostat, is there?  Can't you use anything that you want?

With Infinity you must use a Carrier thermostat to retain variable speed fan features/humidity/pressure sensing/damper control/reminders. You can use a dumb T-stat but you lose all of those features. Variable speed is the most important of those... it’s a 4 wire proprietary communicating system. The main panel does have the hookup for standard control “for emergency use only”. 

it appears Carrier (Bryant (same company)) has released an "Evolution open API", not sure to what extent it allows control but maybe one of the driver developers here may want to invest some time in investigating as to if it is advanced enough to allow full control through IP by Control4. It clearly states " remote control of Evolution Systems by home automation systems without the use of a SAM module"

http://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/1010/Public/07/bry_alx_ecomm.pdf

here is the relevant portion:

The interface to the Amazon Alexa system was built using the Evolution Open API, introduced last year. The Bryant Evolution Open API (Application Programming Interface) is the set of rules, protocols and tools that creates the bridge to allow cloud-to-cloud interface of home automation systems to internet-connected Evolution systems with Evolution Connex wall controls. This allows users to access their home comfort system from a variety of connected home mobile apps. The Evolution Open API allows third-party, smart home integrators to connect to the Evolution Connex online database to allow interface and remote control of Evolution Systems by home automation systems without the use of a SAM module. Feel free to point third-party integrators to EvolutionOpenAPI@bryant.com to request more information. Download the Getting Started Guide, available on www.HVACpartners.com for more information on how to access the Evolution Open API. Now’s the time for your home automation partners to begin working on interfaces using the Evolution Open API to have these features available within their systems moving forward.

It is not clear to me from that doc - so is there now an API that works with any Infinity system, even if it is several years old, or is this just for newer systems?  This has been around for a little while as that doc is almost 1.5 years old and it is version 1.6, for whatever that is worth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/16/2018 at 2:34 PM, Cyknight said:

~rolls eyes~

You're all SO behind in the times

https://homeation.com/category/HVAC

;)

I tried to buy the driver from this company and was quoted $355 for the driver and install.  They had me add them on to the C4 system and needed my Carrier login (I used a generic one) and then never responded to multiple emails, calls.  I wouldn't recommend them, unfortunately, no other options to integrate. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.