C4 Forums | Control4

What home alarm system are you running?

mod220

During a renovation our AV guy installed a Leviton alarm.  I never understood why this was chosen as we want home monitoring services, and with ADT, you basically get the equipment "free" and pay your monthly bill.  We also have very generic keypads and need to add one and also add sensor to a door.  I'm trying to find prices for cameras, touch screens, etc. so the "free" equipment from ADT may be anything but.  I'm pretty bummed as I spent a good chunk of change on this alarm, and ran miles of cat5 for cameras, keypads, etc.  Should just get ADT where everything is wireless, with a massive company behind it, and most importantly 24/7 monitoring.  Am I crazy to rip this thing out and go ADT or another big provider?  What options are there worth looking at?  Heck, this pulse alarm has full smart home capabilities, lights, door bell, camers, etc., almost don't need C4 (Almost!)

11 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

+1 for DSC although my dealer is trying to convince me to use Paradox (which he claims is better) in my beach house (building project)

Since  already have Leviton, does DSC provide any new benefit?  Was looking at major brands since I need monitoring service, but I can get that for like $15/month with my Leviton, so maybe I keep it and add cameras, locks etc with control4 and I’ll be set?

after a bunch of reasearch and homework, I just ordered a DSC Neo system and I am gonna do self monitoring via Control4.  You can also get their Alarm.com cellular module and do self monitoring through their interactive service for like $14 a month.  They will also do monitored services as well, but I didn't look much into that.

Neo is their hybrid wired and wireless system. It can do both.  And as others have mentioned it will integrate pretty easily.  

19 minutes ago, c44me said:

What about DSC makes it better than Simpi Safe et al. ?

without investigating their product any further (looks like a cheap DIY solution)  I would start by this is what makes DSC better especially in this forum

https://simplisafe.com/forum/customer-support-forum/testimonials-reviews-and-suggestions/home-automation-control4

https://simplisafe.com/forum/customer-support-forum/installing-and-using-simplisafe/control4-automation-system

if that is not enough

SimpliSafe founded 2006

DSC (Digital Security Controls) Founded in 1979

now I realize that just because a company has been around longer is does not make them better but they have a  lot more experience and have been an industry leader for much longer and for a very good reason.

DSC is not sold as a DIY solution IMO (though they are offering some newer products (iotega series) that may be considered that for tech savvy people)

just my 2 cents.

also judging by the response you received on your previous post on dec 22, 2017 i am not sure why you are even asking this question again?

39 minutes ago, c44me said:

What about DSC makes it better than Simpi Safe et al. ?

and if my above  reasons are not enough upon doing some more research which you clearly have not done:

300,000 American Homes Open To Hacks Of 'Unfixable' SimpliSafe Alarm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2016/02/17/simplisafe-alarm-attacks/#2e29f3d53b00

https://besthomesecuritycompanys.com/company/simplisafe/

The Bad

• Upfront costs
  • No professional installation option
  • Recent reports of system vulnerability
  • Customer complaints

Upfront Costs

Although many SimpliSafe customers will still save money in the long run due to the company’s low monthly monitoring prices, there is an upfront equipment fee that ranges from $200 to $500+. There are five Simplisafe package options to fit a variety of budgets and needs, however, none include a carbon monoxide detector. Also important to note: you own this equipment forever after purchasing. Regardless, this price amounts to years of monitoring service from other top-rated alarm companies. If you need a system immediately and do not have cash on hand, there are other DIY security companies that do not charge any upfront equipment fees.

No Professional Installation Option

Some customers would prefer to have their home security system professionally installed rather than doing it themselves. Unfortunately, SimpliSafe does not offer professional installation options.

Recent Reports of System Vulnerability

As reported by Forbes in February 2016, SimpliSafe hardware is vulnerable to hackers, which could compromise the security of the home.

Customer Complaints

According to the user reviews we’ve received, chief complaints from SimpliSafe customers center around technical problems with the equipment, long customer service and monitoring center wait times, and issues with receiving the wrong hardware. Those complaints about the equipment include motion detectors, and window sensors not functioning correctly.

Paradox with cinegration driver is the best I have seen the Evo system can do anything you want the c4 driver is top notch and the tm70 touchscreens are dirt cheap and way better than the dsc or Honeywell counterparts. Programming is super easy and end users like homeowners can change user codes and access very easily. If you need multiple partitions, access control or door control it's all there as well. System must be hardwired they're wireless options are weak 

17 hours ago, mod220 said:

During a renovation our AV guy installed a Leviton alarm.  I never understood why this was chosen as we want home monitoring services, and with ADT, you basically get the equipment "free" and pay your monthly bill.  We also have very generic keypads and need to add one and also add sensor to a door.  I'm trying to find prices for cameras, touch screens, etc. so the "free" equipment from ADT may be anything but.  I'm pretty bummed as I spent a good chunk of change on this alarm, and ran miles of cat5 for cameras, keypads, etc.  Should just get ADT where everything is wireless, with a massive company behind it, and most importantly 24/7 monitoring.  Am I crazy to rip this thing out and go ADT or another big provider?  What options are there worth looking at?  Heck, this pulse alarm has full smart home capabilities, lights, door bell, camers, etc., almost don't need C4 (Almost!)

I believe Leviton is HAI alarm panel. You have one of the best out there I believe. There are drivers out there for control4. No way I would switch. That HAI panel can do all kinds of stuff. 

4 hours ago, Adidaswood said:

after a bunch of reasearch and homework, I just ordered a DSC Neo system and I am gonna do self monitoring via Control4.  You can also get their Alarm.com cellular module and do self monitoring through their interactive service for like $14 a month.  They will also do monitored services as well, but I didn't look much into that.

Neo is their hybrid wired and wireless system. It can do both.  And as others have mentioned it will integrate pretty easily.  

How does it program and what all is needed to integrate into c4?

for programming you can use the pre programmed option through the vendor. They will work with you to have the system panel programmed before they send it out.   I'm using alarmsystemstore.com or you can use an alarm installer or if you want to do it you can use the Keypad that you purchase with the system.  I think there may be a software programming option, but I'm not doing that so I didn't spend much time looking into it.

to integrate into Control4 I'm going to be using the TL280RE module and then My dealer will install the driver.  Beyond that For Control4 programming it will be a combo of my dealer and myself using ComposerHE.

3 hours ago, c44me said:

We recently installed a Simpli Safe system (against my wishes but was over ruled) and have not had any issues I'm aware of so far guess time will tell.

I installed simplisafe in my daughters apartment.  Very nice and easy to install and program.  But not for a house.  Programming is limited, and door/window sensors, while small, are not hidden.  Both are deal breakers for me.

13 minutes ago, twmoonly said:

How can I get the DSL5 software

Not sure.  Look on the internet for a download or ask your DSC dealer.  It’s not as guarded as say Composer Pro.  I got it from my dealer, and I know the dealer rep approved it.  It is somewhat intuitive, but if you start asking too many questions, and don’t know what you are doing, my guess is they will cut you off.

I dunno.  I'd think it would be one of their communicator modules of which there are a couple different flavors.  However I opted not to bother with the DLS5 and I'm having initial programming done for 149 by my vendor.  I figure I can handle any additions with the keypad.  alarm system store who i used was very knowledgeable and and answered all my questions on the phone.  I even called back multiple times with follow up questions as I was planning.  I know a few others on this forum have used them as well.

I will say though, if I have a need to upgrade firmware.  I may need to look into the software, but for now I'm going to ask them to make sure my panel is on the right version before they send it out.

I'm not a security dealer but was able to program a DSC PC1832 panel for my sister with the help of the YouTube video at the following link:

I installed the Envisalink module for self monitoring and she's happy with it : http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=176

No bells and whistles with that setup but good for lower budget solutions.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, C4 User said:

I installed simplisafe in my daughters apartment.  Very nice and easy to install and program.  But not for a house.  Programming is limited, and door/window sensors, while small, are not hidden.  Both are deal breakers for me.

Tend to agree.  Ergo the reason was so reticent about it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.