C4 Forums | Control4

Occupancy List

C4tune

I wish there was a simple driver that based on a “check-in” could tell who was Home. Ideally a menu with a experience type feedback to monitor who is home. I imagine having a keypad near the front door that lets me know if my room mate as well as my attic bum is home. 

Use Alan's Ping driver.

When Device OK
Set UI Experience button to true or keypad button to Red

When device Offline
Set UI Experience button to false or keypad button to Blue

The driver pings an IP device, so it would ping your roommate's cell phone. The device would have to have a reserved IP address, which you can assign from the router's settings.

1 hour ago, eddy.trochez said:

Use Alan's Ping driver.

When Device OK
Set UI Experience button to true or keypad button to Red

When device Offline
Set UI Experience button to false or keypad button to Blue

The driver pings an IP device, so it would ping your roommate's cell phone. The device would have to have a reserved IP address, which you can assign from the router's settings.

never would have thought of that, thanks for the idea. going to set this up tomorrow :)

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, zaphod said:

It would be nice if there was a way to cause C4 events to occur when devices join or leave your network. Maybe we need a C4 driver for a device like a Fingbox.

you can do that with android and IFTTT. dont think you can with iOS but never looked.

7 hours ago, zaphod said:

It would be nice if there was a way to cause C4 events to occur when devices join or leave your network.  Maybe we need a C4 driver for a device like a Fingbox.

I was going to do just that but the problem is devices go on and off the network all of the time. It's just not reliable enough to program against. You might be able to do something where if a device is off the network for a certain period of time then do something when it comes back. But trust me that's going to happen when your battery dies and you put it on the charger and then 30 minutes later your welcome scene will fire and the WAF goes down the drain. :-)

Geofencing with a mobile device can work, but is still not perfect, and not good enough to let's say use to unlock your door, etc. It's not accurate enough, unless you want to risk your door unlocking when you're a few blocks from home. For some that might be okay.

I'm surprised that Control4 doesn't offer Geofencing in their iOS and Android apps. Does anyone know why? It seems like an obvious thing. 

John

10 hours ago, johnpg said:

I'm surprised that Control4 doesn't offer Geofencing in their iOS and Android apps. Does anyone know why? It seems like an obvious thing. 

John

Way too many variables for them to have that included and work solid for everyone.

Add a virtual switch in vera for each person and when they enter and exit the geofence create a scene to turn the light on and off.

In c4 add a zwave relay and ID it to that virtual switch and program based on if that switch is on or off. I have a 10 minute timer so when the switch is turned on there is also additional programming of if the timer is running to show they are just getting home so if you say "ok Google I'm home" it will know who is home and fire whatever macro you want

13 hours ago, johnpg said:

I was going to do just that but the problem is devices go on and off the network all of the time. It's just not reliable enough to program against. You might be able to do something where if a device is off the network for a certain period of time then do something when it comes back. But trust me that's going to happen when your battery dies and you put it on the charger and then 30 minutes later your welcome scene will fire and the WAF goes down the drain. :-)

This is useful for geofencing with a person's mobile phone, but it is also useful for notification for issues with your network.    You could have Control4 take action when some device drops off of the network, for example one of you WAPs or a camera.  I have never tried this, but does it trip an event in C4 if a device leaves the network, like a TV or AVR, without needing any other hardware?

1 hour ago, sonic30101 said:

Add a virtual switch in vera for each person and when they enter and exit the geofence create a scene to turn the light on and off.

In c4 add a zwave relay and ID it to that virtual switch and program based on if that switch is on or off. I have a 10 minute timer so when the switch is turned on there is also additional programming of if the timer is running to show they are just getting home so if you say "ok Google I'm home" it will know who is home and fire whatever macro you want

also when the voice command comes in it checks my timer then if the wifes is also running assuming we come home together it will just run her macro instead of mine lol

1 hour ago, sonic30101 said:

also when the voice command comes in it checks my timer then if the wifes is also running assuming we come home together it will just run her macro instead of mine lol

When I add the device C4 tells me it is not a switch, and does not add the device number

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 10:56 AM, sonic30101 said:

Do you change the type of switch it is (virtual to binary?) so Control4 recognizes the device? 

and I just looked at the previous posts....

7 minutes ago, ecschnei said:

Yeah, it doesn't like the virtual switch device file or device_json....so getting that switched so c4 recognizes it

Don't add a virtual switch.  Control4 won't recognize that.  Use the development tab.  "Create" a device and you only have to input the required details into 2 fields.  Wait 5 minutes for the device to appear in Vera.

Archived