C4 Forums | Control4

Zwave Intergration

I have been researching a lot of the ZWave devices. There is so many of them and really useful ones to. @sonic30101 was giving some really good advise on ZWave and mentioned the VeraPlus Advanced home controller as the interface between C4 and the ZWave devices. 

The questions I have before I buy this device:

1. Does it have a driver to C4 how does the VeraPlus intergrate to C4?
  2. What is the role of VeraPlus just an interface?
  3. Do you need a driver for each of the ZWave devices you add to the project?

Would appreciate the guidance 

2 hours ago, ILoveControl said:

I have been researching a lot of the ZWave devices. There is so many of them and really useful ones to. @sonic30101 was giving some really good advise on ZWave and mentioned the VeraPlus Advanced home controller as the interface between C4 and the ZWave devices. 

The questions I have before I buy this device:

1. Does it have a driver to C4 how does the VeraPlus intergrate to C4?
  2. What is the role of VeraPlus just an interface?
  3. Do you need a driver for each of the ZWave devices you add to the project?

Would appreciate the guidance 

There is a C4 driver for a vera controller in the C4 database.  You can also automate a home with a vera device solely, with its own app/interface, but there won't be a level of custom programming anywhere near as in depth as the control4 platform.  I have not tried integrating any control4 devices into it (nor will I bother or unsure if its even possible).  A zwave driver will be needed for each zwave device and each device will display in the C4 navs as if they are a control4 device.  You can't integrate every zwave device.  Mainly lighting, locks, thermostat, motion/contact sensors and a few more.  I haven't expanded further past that.  The downside of all this is the vera controller becomes another "hop" to reach the zwave devices so there are usually small delays but it responds well enough and is fairly reliable.  Because it is a link between a zwave device and control4, there's always also a vulnerability to losing control/access from C4 to any device paired to the vera controller if there are any network issues (don't connect via wifi).  Eg, vera temporarily goes down because of poor network setup or heavy network traffic and therefore no more control of any lighting or scenes, doorlocks, motion/contact sensors, etc within C4.

Regardless, I'm impressed at how well Vera controllers perform with Control4, or on their own.  There's a newer Vera Secure controller that is not only an automation controller but a security system all in one.  Has a battery back up too.  You can integrate supported wireless sensors within itself but I wouldn't rely on this as a professional security system.   Its a decent DIY solution and I know some professionals are using vera with control4 to keep the cost lower but it could be a headache in the long run if expecting this setup to be perfectly reliable. 

46 minutes ago, dcovach said:

lighting, locks, thermostat, motion/contact sensors and a few more.

There is a light sensor driver and any item that doesnt have a driver, you can create a virtual device in vera like a light switch and control4 can control that and in vera control the target device based on the virtual switches state. I have aeon energy meters that when they go above and below a certain wattage turn on and off virtual switches which will do notifications/announcements/popup messages on the cable boxes/kodi me when the washer and dryer go off. 

@dcovach hit all the high points. I use a veraplus hub. Have 13 GE zwave plus dimmers, dragontech outlet switches and dimmers, motions with light sensors, door sensors, a mailbox sensor, energy meters

Isn’t the C4 Vera driver only compatible with an older type of Vera hardware? Can’t realy remember but recall something like that? Be curious what you decide to do here ILoveC4.... value your opinions and decision making on this immensely ... W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

Isn’t the C4 Vera driver only compatible with an older type of Vera hardware? Can’t realy remember but recall something like that? Be curious what you decide to do here ILoveC4.... value your opinions and decision making on this immensely ... W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I am going to pursue this. @sonic30101 not sure your experience of the devices, but what I read above it's hit and miss integration into C4 and when you can it's really basic interface. 

I mean they have contact switches, blind controls etc but I don't think one can use it.

To each their own. I haven't had any problems.

5 hours ago, ILoveControl said:

I mean they have contact switches, blind controls etc but I don't think one can use it.

Experience buttons in control4 to control virtual vera devices like switches and dimmers. And in vera you have a scene that happens when the virtual device is manipulated to control the device that doesn't have a direct c4 driver

10 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

To each their own. I haven't had any problems.

Experience buttons in control4 to control virtual vera devices like switches and dimmers. And in vera you have a scene that happens when the virtual device is manipulated to control the device that doesn't have a direct c4 driver

Man you going to make me buy this :) how would one control contact sensors like door and windows and blind motors?

There is a zwave sensor driver directly for the door and windows and you can set up experience buttons to show feedback.

The blinds would be a bit of trial and error. Guessing it is more than an open/close scenario which would be pretty simple. Experience button> zwave relay driver which is configured to a virtual switch that is in vera> when the virtual switch changes state you set up a scene in vera to control the device. I would have to look and see about increments, that will be a bit of a science fair project. 

Option1- find a c4 driver that you can programmatically change the value of a virtual dimmer then in vera when the virtual dimmer changes adjust the binds accordingly

Option2- set up multiple experience buttons for desired percentages that control different virtual switches to change the blinds to the increments you want.

Option1 is definitely ideal but I don't have any blinds here to test that it could work. I am sire option2 is possible

There are a number of fibaro Zwave drivers in Control4. I use the dimmer ones and the roller shutter ones (blinds) and the show up the same as generic C4 lights and blinds on navigators and remotes. 

They have full percentage control and feed back via C4 navigators and remotes but you also wire a rocker / toggle switch direct to them so they are independent if your C4 controller is ever out of action. 

Where are the instructions on Zwave for all of us to follow...which interfaces into Control4 are better, what to buy etc etc...

...this can all be done via HE right?

So why hasn't Control4 kept us in the loop and issued us updates? Or if they do this already with specifics ..say on their website...where are they? Can someone point me a link? Thanks. 

Exactly.  Which is why they’re not going to ‘issue updates’ and ‘keep you in the loop’.

Theyre not going to provide instructions on how to integrate something that has to be done by a dealer to end users.  

They do provide this: https://www.control4.com/stashes/z-wave but as you can see, the good stuff is beyond in the dealer portal.

7 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I don't see how zwave not being proprietary is relevant

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Well if folks can;'t see why it's not relevant I really am drunk all the time when I post!... (which is actually never true BTW).. Of course it's relevant... its all about Control4 end users getting satisfaction and having fun and learning about their systems without a dealer... heaven forbid we are allowed to be human and think for ourselves! 

4 minutes ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

Exactly.  Which is why they’re not going to ‘issue updates’ and ‘keep you in the loop’.

Theyre not going to provide instructions on how to integrate something that has to be done by a dealer to end users.  

They do provide this: https://www.control4.com/stashes/z-wave but as you can see, the good stuff is beyond in the dealer portal.

Well yes my point exactly - it's totally ridiculous. I call a farce when it is thus.. W 

You can learn about zwave. No one is preventing you. Go study the protocol and all that.

There is really nothing to know about the control4 side they integrate more or less like any other control4 device if you have the zwave module and it's one of the few supported devices

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Dear all... I'm leaving the Control4 aka "Control Freak" show a while. Sorry and apologies to all for wasting your time.

Enjoy being manipulated by "the CultofC4"

But most of all (do try) enjoy your own systems. I was you  after all (who at the end of the day) paid for them!!!! 

P.S  on the way out don't forget to read Orwells 1984 for a bit of insight.

Look, you're using this forum all wrong... Let me help.

The OP here had some zwave questions. He got some very helpful answers from some knowledgeable folks. You too can get all the info you can handle on any control4 product and just about any 3rd party product that integrates with control4, right here on this forum.

However, people here don't work for control4. It's dealers, end users... and yes some control4 employees, but they're here on their own time and I'm sure cant speak officially for control4. 

So when you come here and say "Control4 should do this.." or "Why doesnt control4 do that...?" Honestly, most of us don't know... but if you ask a specific question, chances are you'll get a few pretty informed answers and opinions. 

13 minutes ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

Look, you're using this forum all wrong... Let me help.

The OP here had some zwave questions. He got some very helpful answers from some knowledgeable folks. You too can get all the info you can handle on any control4 product and just about any 3rd party product that integrates with control4, right here on this forum.

However, people here don't work for control4. It's dealers, end users... and yes some control4 employees, but they're here on their own time and I'm sure cant speak officially for control4. 

So when you come here and say "Control4 should do this.." or "Why doesnt control4 do that...?" Honestly, most of us don't know... but if you ask a specific question, chances are you'll get a few pretty informed answers and opinions. 

Sure I get that. Everyone is real helpful here. I try to help others too when I can. What I find a touch "annoying" is the attitude from the mothership. I will never get my head around why they always seem to show so much distain for people thinking for themselves.. and at least providing some direct help to do that. I mean is that too much to ask? That we can think for ourselves? Occasionally we get marketing blurb that things are changing... then we see examples like this (it's a great example) that all that is a smokescreen...

Anyway. As purchasers, owners and users of the product, I believe this entitles us to have views on such matters. We are lucky there is free speech. I certainly don't take that for granted. Good day to you all.

and Rock on Control4. W

4 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

Still need drivers installed with pro. In vera there is a controller driver plus a river for each device

Would you be so kind to post a link of the right Zwave (like the one you using or better) controller so I can buy it. Very interested to get this going. If you don't mind.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.