C4 Forums | Control4

DS2 Sending Video Calls to Mobile Phone!!!

You can send Video Calls from the DS2 to any iOS or Android device and have been able to since it basically came out.

I hated the DS2 (as a lot of people did/do). Hated it more when they failed on the "Intercom Anywhere".  Hated it even more when we pushed 2.10 onto our systems.  Hated them even more when we pushed 2.10.1 to our systems when we had a script written to fix the bug on 2.10 but then no one told us to delete the script.

But after really diving into the DS2 I discovered that this devices is awesome.  Verbal Announcements from the DS2 speaker based off of triggered States.  The Fingerprint Lock/unlock and blue tooth lock/unlock features and add-ons are awesome!!  The video calls to the phones is nice as well.  2-way communication, see the live feed and capable of unlocking the gate or doors through the cell phone (non-C4 App) is nice as well.

Housekeeper needs to get in:  She types code in...it video calls my cell...then unlocks the gate...I have the door strike to trigger off of her code but there is a 20 second delay before it opens so I can make sure it's her and just her.

If I only took the time to really look at the Web UI when it first came out, could have calmed down a lot of customers... The App is subscription based though...but, whatever,  doesn't break the bank.

since C4 is dragging it's feet...This app is the next best thing.

On 3/15/2018 at 8:31 AM, Max Stout said:

You can send Video Calls from the DS2 to any iOS or Android device and have been able to since it basically came out.

I hated the DS2 (as a lot of people did/do). Hated it more when they failed on the "Intercom Anywhere".  Hated it even more when we pushed 2.10 onto our systems.  Hated them even more when we pushed 2.10.1 to our systems when we had a script written to fix the bug on 2.10 but then no one told us to delete the script.

But after really diving into the DS2 I discovered that this devices is awesome.  Verbal Announcements from the DS2 speaker based off of triggered States.  The Fingerprint Lock/unlock and blue tooth lock/unlock features and add-ons are awesome!!  The video calls to the phones is nice as well.  2-way communication, see the live feed and capable of unlocking the gate or doors through the cell phone (non-C4 App) is nice as well.

Housekeeper needs to get in:  She types code in...it video calls my cell...then unlocks the gate...I have the door strike to trigger off of her code but there is a 20 second delay before it opens so I can make sure it's her and just her.

If I only took the time to really look at the Web UI when it first came out, could have calmed down a lot of customers... The App is subscription based though...but, whatever,  doesn't break the bank.

since C4 is dragging it's feet...This app is the next best thing.

What app is this?

How do you play an announcement over the speaker on the DS2? That would be very useful!

10 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

What app is this?

How do you play an announcement over the speaker on the DS2? That would be very useful!

He's referring to the 2N Mobile service.

You can upload voice announcements to the DS2 using the web interface, and activate them using Automation commands, HTTP commands, or set them as default. The really cool thing about these announcements is that they can be played in the DS2 or the Mobile Phone. For example, someone rings the bell, you answer using your Mobile App, (it can be any app, 2N or Bria, or whatever) When you unlock the door two things can happen: 1. An announcement tells the person that the door has been unlocked; and/or 2. When the door unlocks, Control4 can send a command to the DS2 and an announcement plays through the app speaker telling you that the door is unlocked. So, the DS2 can play announcements trough its speaker or send it to the mobile app.

Here's another cool thing that the DS2  can do:
UPS rings the bell, you let the guy in.
You can switch to another camera while in the call with the DS2 (Like a camera in the hallway). If you're using the 2N Mobile app, there's a button to switch to another camera in the app. If you're using Bria, you can use a code to switch to another camera and back to the DS2 camera. This feature requires a license in the DS2. 2N has made it available for free in the latest firmware, but the DS2 is using an old firmware.

1 hour ago, eddy.trochez said:

He's referring to the 2N Mobile service.

You can upload voice announcements to the DS2 using the web interface, and activate them using Automation commands, HTTP commands, or set them as default. The really cool thing about these announcements is that they can be played in the DS2 or the Mobile Phone. For example, someone rings the bell, you answer using your Mobile App, (it can be any app, 2N or Bria, or whatever) When you unlock the door two things can happen: 1. An announcement tells the person that the door has been unlocked; and/or 2. When the door unlocks, Control4 can send a command to the DS2 and an announcement plays through the app speaker telling you that the door is unlocked. So, the DS2 can play announcements trough its speaker or send it to the mobile app.

Here's another cool thing that the DS2  can do:
UPS rings the bell, you let the guy in.
You can switch to another camera while in the call with the DS2 (Like a camera in the hallway). If you're using the 2N Mobile app, there's a button to switch to another camera in the app. If you're using Bria, you can use a code to switch to another camera and back to the DS2 camera. This feature requires a license in Control4. 2N has made it available for free in the latest firmware, but Control4 is using an old firmware.

I must say, having the DS2 play an announcement sounds really cool (and useful). Is this something I can set up as an end user or would I need to get my dealer involved?

3 hours ago, dcovach said:

@eddy.trochez  if "autoconfig" is used on the ds2 again, do these automation or http commands dissappear?

No, it won't delete Automation settings, but this is not officially supported. So, it can change in the future.

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I must say, having the DS2 play an announcement sounds really cool (and useful). Is this something I can set up as an end user or would I need to get my dealer involved?

Depends on how you need to activate the announcement; do you want to send HTTP commands? You need a driver for that. Once you have the driver in your system,  you can program everything yourself.

These features included in the DS2 are not officially supported, all of it can stop working in a future firmware release. 

Archived