C4 Forums | Control4

Apple TV 4K - C4 Remote stopped working

I went away for a week on business and returned home to watch my Apple TV 4K.  Without any updates the C4 Remote no longer controls or wakes the Apple TV 4K.  I have tried powering down all devices (modem, EA-1 Controller, C4 Remote, Apple TV 4K) but nothing works.  The remote simply no longer controls the Apple TV 4K.  I have read another topic of a user experiencing the same issue but on an older model of the Apple TV.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Are there any planned fixes?

I can confirm that the Apple TV Remote works fine and the Remote App on my iPhone works fine.  However the Control4 Director and Control4 iOS app also do not control the Apple TV.

I appreciate anyone who can assist in getting this back working.  Like I said it was working for a month, I went away for a week to return to it not working.

7 minutes ago, 2TimeOlympian said:

I went away for a week on business and returned home to watch my Apple TV 4K.  Without any updates the C4 Remote no longer controls or wakes the Apple TV 4K.  I have tried powering down all devices (modem, EA-1 Controller, C4 Remote, Apple TV 4K) but nothing works.  The remote simply no longer controls the Apple TV 4K.  I have read another topic of a user experiencing the same issue but on an older model of the Apple TV.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Are there any planned fixes?

I can confirm that the Apple TV Remote works fine and the Remote App on my iPhone works fine.  However the Control4 Director and Control4 iOS app also do not control the Apple TV.

I appreciate anyone who can assist in getting this back working.  Like I said it was working for a month, I went away for a week to return to it not working.

There is a fairly new custom IR driver that was  made because of this problem  with the AppleTV 4.  

Just now, Cyknight said:

What problem?

I'm going to hazard a guess and say the IP on the ATV changed.

That actually makes the most sense since the ATV can't be controlled at all.  Many are having problems with some of the commands not working all of a sudden which is why an IR driver is being used as a fix.

I have read some other forums to suggest the Apple TV should be set to a static IP.  Is this true?  Would the EA-1 not control the ATV if say the IP address changed.  Obviously during a power outage or internet troubleshooting, sometimes the modem/router would need to be restart.  Is C4 not intelligent enough to know connect to the MAC address of the ATV if it's set to obtain the IP automatically through DHCP?

56 minutes ago, 2TimeOlympian said:

I have read some other forums to suggest the Apple TV should be set to a static IP.  Is this true?  Would the EA-1 not control the ATV if say the IP address changed.  Obviously during a power outage or internet troubleshooting, sometimes the modem/router would need to be restart.  Is C4 not intelligent enough to know connect to the MAC address of the ATV if it's set to obtain the IP automatically through DHCP?

The AppleTV ip address can be reserved in your primary router by it's MAC address or you can set the AppleTV static IP address manually within its own settings.  If you do either one of these, you should be "GOLD"

2 hours ago, dcovach said:

Is C4 not intelligent enough to know connect to the MAC address of the ATV if it's set to obtain the IP automatically through DHCP?

MAC address control doesn't exists - in C4 or otherwise. Device that do NOT require a 'static' or 'reserved' IP use some other form of broadcasting to make the connection (SDDP is a big one but there are others) - Apple doesn't like to share though :lol:

• 3 years later...

Just going to add to this so I can save myself later, but also help others.  With the Apple TV set up on the IP driver with the HomeKit Bridge, it took actually removing the power cord (30 seconds)  to power cycle my AppleTV to get control back; simply doing the restart through the AppleTV menu did not work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.