C4 Forums | Control4

Wifi/Zigbee Antenna extensions

F0ZZ

I mounted my EA5 in a rack. I was told it would be best to mount the wifi and zigbee antennas outside the rack. Is this best practice? If so, how far outside the rack should the antennas be?  My house isn’t very big. The EA5 will be roughly 15ft away from the room it’s controlling.

also,

can you use the same extension and antenna for both wife and zigbee?

Thanks,

Can I/Should I, use and extension on the zigbee antenna?  Just to get it out of the rack? Like I mentioned I’m only 15ft (maybe a little less) from the closest remote. 

The room above has an EA 1 that will be even closer.

That should be fine, but if the EA1 is more central in the house then that will be the best spot to move the Zigbee server/co-ordinator.  Typically, if the EA5 is in a rack, thats the worst spot for a reliable zigbee mesh if using it as the zserver/co-ordinator.

The EA5 is almost exactly in the centre of our home. 

My theatre which is next door to where the rack is is also directly below our living room with the EA1. The house is only 1600sqFt so can imagine much of an issue unless zigbee is really short range.

2 hours ago, F0ZZ said:

can you use the same extension and antenna for both wife and zigbee?

Not sure about your wife, but mine prefers a different extension....as does my WiFi.   

The rack causes too much interference.  Best to move it out at least a few feet, more if able.  Trial and error is best.  Just move it around for a while until you find the sweet spot that yields the best results....

8 minutes ago, Dave w said:

Not sure about your wife, but mine prefers a different extension....as does my WiFi.   

The rack causes too much interference.  Best to move it out at least a few feet, more if able.  Trial and error is best.  Just move it around for a while until you find the sweet spot that yields the best results....

I see what you did there.... but I'd keep the extension preference a little more private

54 minutes ago, Dave w said:

I thought everyone was into that sort of thing here? 

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find the extension cable needed. Just enough to put the antenna outside the rack. Everything I’ve found is longer than I think I need (my wife agrees!).

Archived