C4 Forums | Control4

DS2 Doorstation / touchscreens / semi auto answer

This might be a really dumb question with a simple solution, or it might just be a "no you can't do that"...

Currently when someone "rings the doorbell" i.e. presses the DS2 call button, all the touchscreens ring as expected and all show "answer" or "end/cancel" whatever it is on a black screen. Now call me crazy but I think it would be nice to be able to see who's there before I decide whether I want to talk to them or not.

As far as I can tell, "auto answer" starts a full on two way call with the doorstation. I haven't actually tried enabling it on more than one panel at once, I've just realised that (I will do so for science). But my question is... is there a halfway house approach for this - get the video from the doorstation (ideally on all the touchscreens at once) but don't auto answer the call? Is this last part the reason it won't work, can I only get video to one touchscreen at a time?

If its configured properly, there shouldn't be any issues.  Constant tinkering with the DS2 is usually the cause of this.  There's KB articles for dealers how to set up and troubleshoot.  The DS2 is consistent once set up right.  After that, "No Touchie!"

Just to make sure I put my situation across right, after pressing ANSWER on any of the screens video and audio do work fine.

I was hoping to see video before 'answering'. I might not want to answer if I can see who it is beforehand!

Sky Q? I'm all for blaming Murdoch for as many of the world's problems as I can but I'm not sure about that one. Anyway no, no Sky Q.

I'm still not sure if everyone else gets to see video BEFORE pressing ANSWER or not. That's what I'm looking for. I can see and hear fine after answering the call.

We get video on Two (Living Room / Bedroom) of T3 and then you can press answer or ignore. 

We do not get it on one T3 which is in he kitchen, but we did before we updated to Sky Q. 

We have had a few issues with Sky Q and wondering if 2.4hz and 5hz Wifi was giving the issues. 

Are yours on Wifi too ?

Ok so I *should* get video as soon as someone presses the call button outside, *without* pressing answer?

Sorry to labour this point but I want to make sure it's actually broken before trying to fix it. As I said, when I press answer the video and audio work perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Charlie Martin said:

I had one touch screen in our store doing this same thing. Found out it was on an old power supply and the other touch screens were on a new POE switch. Moved it to the POE switch and now it works perfect.

Thanks for sharing that. I have them all connected to a brand new Pakedge PoE switch, I'm really playing the C4 game here so if that doesn't work properly what will! I may try putting one or two on a different one for investigative purposes. I think I'm probably going to try removing the DS2 from the project and factory resetting it.

In case anyone is interested or stumbles upon this with the same problem, the cause was having one of the many touchscreens set to "monitor mode". If any touchscreens have monitor mode or auto answer enabled, the video preview does not work. In the end the lovely chaps at C4 support helped me out with that solution. Isn't it great when the solution is so simple it makes you feel completely stupid, even though there's not really any way to know unless you "just know"...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/9/2018 at 6:19 AM, timbooo said:

In case anyone is interested or stumbles upon this with the same problem, the cause was having one of the many touchscreens set to "monitor mode". If any touchscreens have monitor mode or auto answer enabled, the video preview does not work. In the end the lovely chaps at C4 support helped me out with that solution. Isn't it great when the solution is so simple it makes you feel completely stupid, even though there's not really any way to know unless you "just know"...

Reviving an old thread. We just upgraded to OS3 and having the same issue ; when someone rings the doorbell we get a black screen, and can only see the video if we "answer" the call. I turned off monitor and auto-answer on each T3, and still no luck. 

My dealer says this is expected behavior in OS3 (as compared to OS2). Can anyone comment on this?

12 hours ago, crash1977mtl said:

Reviving an old thread. We just upgraded to OS3 and having the same issue ; when someone rings the doorbell we get a black screen, and can only see the video if we "answer" the call. I turned off monitor and auto-answer on each T3, and still no luck. 

My dealer says this is expected behavior in OS3 (as compared to OS2). Can anyone comment on this?

Press and hold the power button on the T3. This will reboot the T3 and it should fix your issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.