C4 Forums | Control4

Can dealer remote in to set-up/program new TV?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure of the details, but was told that it didn't work based on what he could see on his end.

We can't get an IR driver to work either, doesn't turn the TV on when a source is selected or off when the room is turned off. Ugh.

IR protocol within a product line typically is uniform.  However, development of published IR drivers has dwindled so it just may be that older drivers don't work with newer product lines.  I'm an end-user so no feeling for whether or not this is true.  At the risk of discrediting your dealer, I'm sure you both have checked that the panel's static IP is pingable, Composer shows proper IP addy and connections have been made properly?  I find it unusual that the driver I mentioned flat-out does not operate the panel...

The ip driver doesn't work.  It was a waste of time.  I also humored myself and tried to double click the "discovered device" and the displayed error basically says Control4 has not made a ip driver for this tv yet.

1 hour ago, dcovach said:

The ip driver doesn't work.  It was a waste of time.  I also humored myself and tried to double click the "discovered device" and the displayed error basically says Control4 has not made a ip driver for this tv yet.

Dan was very helpful trying both IP and IR drivers but with no luck in the end.  Very frustrating for me and for him, I'm sure.  I was hoping that sticking with a Samsung or LG TV would provide the best compatibility with Control4 like was mentioned in the forums, but I guess it really is model (and not brand) specific.  Oh well, I guess we'll have to use two remotes until a driver for this particular model is, hopefully, released.

Thanks but at this point all I want is to not have to use two remotes with this TV. Feels kinda silly having a C4 system but still having to use the original TV remote to turn the TV on. It's weird how the IR blaster is working to turn the TV off with a Room Off command, but not on when a source is turned on.

Is there a way to know for sure if an IP driver will ever be released and even if it's released, when this would happen? Of the TVs I was considering (listed in a different thread), only one model actually had a driver in the database. It was the 2018 LG 55" model. The Samsung model I bought is actually an older model, so the fact that there is no driver already in the database leads me to believe there either won't be one or it may be a long wait for C4 to release an official one.

1 hour ago, pinkoos said:

Thanks but at this point all I want is to not have to use two remotes with this TV. Feels kinda silly having a C4 system but still having to use the original TV remote to turn the TV on. It's weird how the IR blaster is working to turn the TV off with a Room Off command, but not on when a source is turned on.

Is there a way to know for sure if an IP driver will ever be released and even if it's released, when this would happen? Of the TVs I was considering (listed in a different thread), only one model actually had a driver in the database. It was the 2018 LG 55" model. The Samsung model I bought is actually an older model, so the fact that there is no driver already in the database leads me to believe there either won't be one or it may be a long wait for C4 to release an official one.

There's no way to know for sure when new drivers are released until there's an announcement or by just checking the database more frequently. All we can do is request them. I've never been directly informed if my request was fulfilled.  You'll probably be happy with that LG TV but the newer Samsung's with proper IP drivers have been solid too.  As for the ON ir code for your particular model, I'm not quite sure why it doesn't react to an ON command (even after I've learned it using the exact device on a Harmony), but you say the OFF command works.  Maybe we can try one more time and learn the ON code with YOUR remote.  I'm not really positive if the ON command requires a Macro (2 codes with a delay in between) or just a better direct ON command.  So far I haven't had to use a macro for an ON command for newer Samsung TV's.  Maybe someone else with this issue can comment on a suggestion.

This is why I suggested to not buy TV's at Costco, if you want integration.  They are bottom of the barrel displays, with less functionality, for cheap money.  I had a client buy all new Sammy's from Costco.  I tried about 50 different ON/OFF discrete codes and none would work.  Same with input commands.

Unfortunately, you get what you pay for.

If you have a discrete off code that works, then learn the power toggle off the OEM remote for the ON code and call it a day.

2 hours ago, dcovach said:

There's no way to know for sure when new drivers are released until there's an announcement or by just checking the database more frequently. All we can do is request them. I've never been directly informed if my request was fulfilled.  You'll probably be happy with that LG TV but the newer Samsung's with proper IP drivers have been solid too.  As for the ON ir code for your particular model, I'm not quite sure why it doesn't react to an ON command (even after I've learned it using the exact device on a Harmony), but you say the OFF command works.  Maybe we can try one more time and learn the ON code with YOUR remote.  I'm not really positive if the ON command requires a Macro (2 codes with a delay in between) or just a better direct ON command.  So far I haven't had to use a macro for an ON command for newer Samsung TV's.  Maybe someone else with this issue can comment on a suggestion.

I'm open to learning the ON code if that will allow me to put the OEM remote away and not have to use it.  I guess I can do without access to the Smart TV features and the TV menu/settings screen until we can find an IP driver that works.  I'll be back home tonight.

For my critical view areas I bought 8000 series Sammys, and did not go to Costco.  IP Control works.  For my gym and bar I did buy from Costco, but I got UN43MU630D and the 50 inch version of that as well.  I am using IP control on those as well.  I looked in composer HE and my dealer used the following...

Can you check the network setting for your TV, go to Expert Setting under Network.  Is there and Enable IP Control Setting.  There is on mine.  

Also are you able to use the Samsung SmartView app to control it?  That may give some clues if your TV is even capable.

image.png.4b1de697ea04f0f646452fbfeedad9e1.png image.png.59aa99eb655dd441f3bff21dc02b3e2f.pngimage.png.e9637ffa9238dc8aec80883355a57fa1.png

Also not trying to discredit anyone, just trying to point out this is possible and help him determine if it is a problem with the model he bought.  I'd order one from Amazon and return the other one if I was you.  

We had IP Control enabled in the Expert Settings.

Is that app iOS and/or Android?  I have an iPhone, if it's iOS I can try it this evening when I get home from work.

I appreciate the input from everyone about maybe buying a higher end TV not from Costco, but I'm on a budget and the LG TV failure was, of course, not part of the plan, so this is an unexpected, unplanned expense.

13 minutes ago, Adidaswood said:

For my critical view areas I bought 8000 series Sammys, and did not go to Costco.  IP Control works.  For my gym and bar I did buy from Costco, but I got UN43MU630D and the 50 inch version of that as well.  I am using IP control on those as well.  I looked in composer HE and my dealer used the following...

Can you check the network setting for your TV, go to Expert Setting under Network.  Is there and Enable IP Control Setting.  There is on mine.  

Also are you able to use the Samsung SmartView app to control it?  That may give some clues if your TV is even capable.

image.png.4b1de697ea04f0f646452fbfeedad9e1.png image.png.59aa99eb655dd441f3bff21dc02b3e2f.pngimage.png.e9637ffa9238dc8aec80883355a57fa1.png

Also not trying to discredit anyone, just trying to point out this is possible and help him determine if it is a problem with the model he bought.  I'd order one from Amazon and return the other one if I was you.  

I always like good suggestions.  All the right steps were taken.  In our defense, there's about 35 Samsung MU ip drivers.  I don't feel like trying all of them.  For arguments sake, I may try the 3 you suggested.  That's already stretching the amount of time necessary to spend for TV control but it may be worth it if one of those drivers works.  If not, there's way too many comments that relate to guessing and assuming that the same method (driver) of control of one TV model should automatically work on another.

32 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Turning IP on doesn't impact ir. 

? It sure does.

Indeed please note that you cannot leave more than one control method connected as it WILL override on a controller reboot (IP beats serial beats IR) as the method used on combination drivers.

Archived