C4 Forums | Control4

Can dealer remote in to set-up/program new TV?

58 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

? It sure does.

Indeed please note that you cannot leave more than one control method connected as it WILL override on a controller reboot (IP beats serial beats IR) as the method used on combination drivers.

On the TV.  Turning off IP control on the TV or turning on IP control on the TV has no impact on IR.  IR on the TV always works

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No luck tonight with a couple of different IP drivers and with trying to learn the ON command from the OEM remote.  Many thanks again to Dan and all of you for the help.  Will just stick with two remotes for now, even though that bugs the heck out of me! 😞

None of the suggested ip drivers work but it was worth a try. The tv accepts the pair request but the c4 tv driver isn't showing an online status. In this offline state, the tv doesn't react to any commands either. Hopefully a working toggle code exists somewhere out there.

I find it hard to believe that a recent model Samsung TV (even if it is a lower grade model) can't be reliably controlled by IR.  There should easily be discrete on/off codes available, but I'm not that familiar with Samsung.  With a C4 system and a newer Samsung TV you should NOT have to use two remote controls, that is just silly.

Also, there is a firmware update available on Samsung's web site for this TV model.  Might be worth updating the firmware to see if it helps with any of the control issues (either IP or IR).

31 minutes ago, dinom said:

I find it hard to believe that a recent model Samsung TV (even if it is a lower grade model) can't be reliably controlled by IR.  There should easily be discrete on/off codes available, but I'm not that familiar with Samsung.  With a C4 system and a newer Samsung TV you should NOT have to use two remote controls, that is just silly.

Exactly.  You would think the learned code from the original remote would turn the tv on.  It does not.  There are no IR drivers for these new tv's either so you would think any newer samsung ir driver would do the trick.   BTW, the learned ON command is a very long hex code, which makes me wonder if the ON command needs to be a macro (code, delay, code).  I do not know how to properly learn these types of codes from an original remote via a single button when creating a driver.  I don't know how to split the hex code properly either if the ON command needs to be two codes with a delay in between.

13 minutes ago, dinom said:

Also, there is a firmware update available on Samsung's web site for this TV model.  Might be worth updating the firmware to see if it helps with any of the control issues (either IP or IR).

Worth a try too.

Only other thoughts are a toggle On/Off and a sense of one of the back USB ports to sense power-on state.  This is more involved, but unfortunately is needed for reliable control if only IR toggle is available.  I've also attached an Excel file with many Samsung LCD discrete codes, perhaps something will work.

Samsung LED.xlsx

5 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Is power saving turned on? 

I had turned it off when first setting up the TV b/c I had read that, in general, it can cause the screen to appear too dim on some TVs.

1 hour ago, dinom said:

I ran software update before leaving for work and it said my software was up to date, version is T-KTMAKUC-1210.8

Three pages and six days of this not working. Seams like its time for your dealer to come out and spend 30-60 minutes getting the emmiter in the right place and using the correct codes.

50 minutes ago, HRT said:

Three pages and six days of this not working. Seams like its time for your dealer to come out and spend 30-60 minutes getting the emmiter in the right place and using the correct codes.

Dan is helping me out remotely, so coming out is not an option.  In terms of the bud, if it works for turning the TV OFF but doesn't work for turning the TV ON, would that not rule out the possibility of incorrect placement?

9 hours ago, Pounce said:

If you have android try this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=wifi.control.samsung

If you have iphone try this:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mytifi-remote-for-samsung-tv/id441912305?mt=8

That can at least confirm you can control the set.

I can control the TV with the iOS app, thanks for that link.  Seems like a nice, high quality app.

Well, Dan got it done!  Was able to set up discrete ON and OFF commands so I can put that OEM remote away.  No Smart features yet, but maybe Control4 will release a formal IP driver that will allow that functionality.

We tweaked the location of the IR bud slightly as well.

Combination of the above plus help/advice from you guys got it done.

Thanks again and thank you to Dan - I highly recommend him if you need any remote work done.

6 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Glad you got it working. If the iPhone app works you know that API control is possible.

That's a 3rd party app, but I'm surprised how polished it is.  It's really nice.  I'll spring for the in-app purchase to unlock full functionality for sure.

Archived