C4 Forums | Control4

Room Control Driver

I was reading elsewhere about the room control driver.  Does anyone have a use case for it to before I'd approach my dealer to get it added to my project?  Would you add it to every room?   Can it e programmed via HE or is Pro needed after it is added.

This driver provides a convenient, connection-oriented method to avoid common room/keypad programming tasks by connecting a keypad button directly to a Room driver command.  Some additional “macro” capability has been added for certain options.
Additionally, programming events and variables are exposed to make conditional programming much simpler.

·    Requires C4 OS 2.9.1 or later
·    Works with any device that has a BUTTON_LINK input (Keypad, Keypad Dimmer, etc)

Some behaviors of this driver only work when there is only one room selected for this driver to control.  Those behaviors are marked with {SINGLE} where they appear in this document.

Quick Configuration

Add the driver to the project in the room that you wish to control (this will by default be set as the room to control).
If you want to control additional rooms, add additional copies of the driver.
Each driver can also be set to control multiple rooms, with some limitations (see later)
Make connections to the BUTTON_LINK outputs as appropriate.

thanks!!

There was actually a recent update to the room control keypad driver that added some really cool features, things like cycling through sources, grouping rooms for feedback, etc.  They are pretty much all geared toward making programming easier for the dealer though, for the most part the end user wouldn't even know that the driver is in the project.  

• 4 weeks later...

I just got this added into my system and would be interested in seeing some use scenarios for this driver as well for the end user. Had my dealer add it because I'd read some good things about it on here, but now that I'm seeing it in Composer HE, I'm not entirely sure how to best use it.

Also, do you need a separate instance of this driver for each room if you plan on using it in multiple rooms? 

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm playing with this now, and after an hour of trying things, I have it working. 

Here's what I did:

1. Set all 5 presets to "Tidal". This lets me cycle through 5 different playlists. If you don't have something set here, the driver won't ever "activate" the preset. 

image.png.30b6bd1b565474be69a206c2a4adef03.png

2. Bind the Button ("RC" is what I named it while playing around) to the Preset Cycler. This will cycle through the 5 presets, with an "Off" in there somewhere. 

image.thumb.png.fdbcdae897c39139ef585d4331f5b2b3.png

3. In the programming tag, Handle the "Activate" event for each preset, and have that activate the relevant Tidal Playlist.

image.thumb.png.010f345e7ae79196d06ca3a76b9a2d80.png

This seems to work fairly well. At least nothing has exploded yet. :) 

Now the annoying thing is that Tidal doesn't seem to allow multiple parallel streams, so having different playlists playing in each room seems to be a new problem. 

//Chris

6 hours ago, ChrisM said:

I'm playing with this now, and after an hour of trying things, I have it working. 

Here's what I did:

1. Set all 5 presets to "Tidal". This lets me cycle through 5 different playlists. If you don't have something set here, the driver won't ever "activate" the preset. 

2. Bind the Button ("RC" is what I named it while playing around) to the Preset Cycler. This will cycle through the 5 presets, with an "Off" in there somewhere. 

3. In the programming tag, Handle the "Activate" event for each preset, and have that activate the relevant Tidal Playlist.

Now the annoying thing is that Tidal doesn't seem to allow multiple parallel streams, so having different playlists playing in each room seems to be a new problem. 

//Chris

Thanks for sharing .  I set up up something where I use one button and then each press of the button cycle through my tidal play lists.   I think I loaded about 4 playlists.   When it cycles through a different playlist the led on the button changes color linked to a playlist.   I cycle each through programming.   I do something similar for preset radio stations on  another button.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the driver set up just like above, without the programming part.  It works fine in the room it's in (the audio is Sonos).  I don't understand how to add zones however.  I also would like to program pauses, and skip forwards and a room off command (I think I can do the latter in the driver itself).

On 8/7/2020 at 7:09 AM, ChrisM said:

Here's what I did:

//Chris

If you use the Tidal family plan, you can have parallel streams but they do each need to run from a different instance of Tidal in C4.  A bit of PT to set this up... but after it is set up, it is great.

Based on the feedback of how well Tidal integrates with C4 I finally signed up for a Tidal account. As long as the family likes the playlists available in Tidal, I am sure they will all like the ability to start a playlist with one button.

@South Africa C4 user I’m asking you because if anyone has it, I think you will :). Do you by chance have a “tidal” experience button, and if so, can you share it?

4 hours ago, C4 User said:

Based on the feedback of how well Tidal integrates with C4 I finally signed up for a Tidal account. As long as the family likes the playlists available in Tidal, I am sure they will all like the ability to start a playlist with one button.

@South Africa C4 user I’m asking you because if anyone has it, I think you will :). Do you by chance have a “tidal” experience button, and if so, can you share it?

If you add Tidal as a music source, it will appear under the Listen menu with its own experience button (using the Tidal logo).  Is that not what you are looking for?

7 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

If you add Tidal as a music source, it will appear under the Listen menu with its own experience button (using the Tidal logo).  Is that not what you are looking for?

No. I have that. I would like to add multiple unique Tidal buttons to play Playlists in certain rooms of the house. This is actually my primary reason for switching to Tidal as it allows programming the play of a playlist. If I am missing something and there is a better way to do this, would love to hear it.

4 hours ago, C4 User said:

No. I have that. I would like to add multiple unique Tidal buttons to play Playlists in certain rooms of the house. This is actually my primary reason for switching to Tidal as it allows programming the play of a playlist. If I am missing something and there is a better way to do this, would love to hear it.

Room Control Driver set source to Tidal and pick the playlist is best way.

6 hours ago, C4 User said:

As mentioned above, the Room Control Driver is the best option.  I have mine set up to cycle through different Tidal accounts with a different chosen playlist on each so that it will join any other zone playing that account but will not interfere with a zone playing from a different Tidal account.  My order varies a bit by room (with the rooms occupant’s personal playlist being first in the cycle, a general one being next and then moving from oldest to youngest family member...

I also have a Tidal room that I have Favourited on each of my Touchscreens and I get there by swiping left.  In the room I simply have the 5 tidal icons and a comfort button. The 5 Tidal icons simply work in the normal fashion for each Tidal family member (I.e. the normal “Listen” functionality.  In the Comfort menu, I have various options as to what playlist will default for the Room Control Driver for each family member using Alan Chow’s Radio Buttons.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/30/2020 at 9:34 PM, msgreenf said:

search for room control - a dealer has to add it to the room for you to program off it

Found it (it has a small beaker to the left of the text with blue liquid in it)?  It is actually installed in the room I require the programming, so that is a start.

I have two of these drivers in the same room.  One is called "Control" and one is called "Audio Control".  What is the difference?

Is there any reason why the driver should not be added to every room for future programming?

Room Control Driver.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.