C4 Forums | Control4

Leak Detection

1 minute ago, Drake0508 said:

Ability to shut the main off. Otherwise something reliable. 

Of the options you have seen which ones do you think fit your requirements? There is a wide range of functionality. Dumb valves that will shut when you tell them to shut all the up to AI devices that will sense even a small leak and automatically shut off the main.

Playing devil's advocate... what is the need to integrate something like this with C4? I don't think C4 is a real-time OS (RTOS) and as such I would never trust it to manage the logic to turn off my water. I see value in having alerts from the water system to C4 or checking status from C4. I like what eggzlot does with having sensors on the alarm panel.

I like the newer units with leak sensing. That means you might not need sensors all over the house where you might anticipate water. OR for the paranoid or those who have taken a bath you could have both. No reason why you couldn't do something like Watercop and Phyn etc. The fancy new ones don't tell you if you have a waste water leak. That's where some sensors might help.

10 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Playing devil's advocate... what is the need to integrate something like this with C4?

There is little need other than notification.  A metering shut-off will act quickly all on it's own.  I don't get the tie-in to the security either,  Notification should come via email/text, whatever.    Device>Alarm Panel>Control4>Device??  Way too many layers for my comfort...

9 hours ago, Pounce said:

Playing devil's advocate... what is the need to integrate something like this with C4? I don't think C4 is a real-time OS (RTOS) and as such I would never trust it to manage the logic to turn off my water. I see value in having alerts from the water system to C4 or checking status from C4. I like what eggzlot does with having sensors on the alarm panel.

I like the newer units with leak sensing. That means you might not need sensors all over the house where you might anticipate water. OR for the paranoid or those who have taken a bath you could have both. No reason why you couldn't do something like Watercop and Phyn etc. The fancy new ones don't tell you if you have a waste water leak. That's where some sensors might help.

Just to go further in my logic — I didn’t want anything cloud based.  I didn’t want anything wireless.  Wanted wired and all local.  I have water sensors at all major places of possible leaks.  Those sensors are hardwired back to my dsc alarm panel.   Alarm panel hard wired to my main controller.    Water cop relay is hard wired also to my main controller.  

If I lose internet or Wi-Fi stinks and I get a leak my system still works.  

If I could have tied a shut off valve into dsc I could have went that route.  But I found watercop and as a user I could do the relay wiring and my remote c4 dealer just had to add 1 driver.  Easier than bringing out my alarm guy if there was a compatible DSC option. 

This thread prompted me to look at the options again and I found this: http://www.quensus.com/product. It measures water flow and can shut off with a valve (and can do so across multiple pipes). It is fully electronic with remote control available and already has data available in the cloud. They are developing an API so should straight forward for a Control4 driver to be developed?

I also found that the UK is unusual that products such as this require testing and approval - they have already sold this valve system around Europe with no problems and could do the same in Europe/the US.

If anyone is interested in developing a driver or just learning more, I can put them in touch with one of the development team.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I see the point that there doesn’t necessarily need to be integration with C4. I try to push everything through one app for control at the request of my wife. Also I have some alerts set up through hue lighting so that my mom might understand what is going on in the house. She’s not super tech savvy. I thought about adding the Rachio driver but now I’m not sure that’s completely necessary. 

Hello guys ,

I been thinking about water leaks and would like to do a hard wire to my rack that is close to the sum pumps/water heaters.  I have a couple of questions... is it possible to do a hard wire?  what kind of water sensors do I need to wired to the controller and how exactly do you do it 

thank you

2 hours ago, DS B said:

Hello guys ,

I been thinking about water leaks and would like to do a hard wire to my rack that is close to the sum pumps/water heaters.  I have a couple of questions... is it possible to do a hard wire?  what kind of water sensors do I need to wired to the controller and how exactly do you do it 

thank you

read my posts above.  It is 100% possible.  Do you have an alarm system?  I have hardwired water sensors tied into my DSC Panel, and I have a Watercop (auto on/off) attached to my main water line and that is hardwired via a relay into Control4.  Everything is 100% wired.

How long until you see that notification or lack of? Besides just alerts or notifications you can have the house react to notify you of the emergency.  That is the advantage of Control4 integration. A house full of lighting does wonders besides dim on a button press. 

5 minutes ago, Hardware said:

How long until you see that notification or lack of? Besides just alerts or notifications you can have the house react to notify you of the emergency.  That is the advantage of Control4 integration. A house full of lighting does wonders besides dim on a button press. 

If you are asking me I get a push notice instantly 

5 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

If you are asking me I get a push notice instantly 

No, I wasn't responding to you. It was about the lack of adding Control4 

Your way works out just fine. I like other house responses besides notifications as well. 

32 minutes ago, Hardware said:

No, I wasn't responding to you. It was about the lack of adding Control4 

Your way works out just fine. I like other house responses besides notifications as well. 

Well my alarm siren goes off 🙂. You can hear that blocks away.  So the push notice is really for when I am not home.  Central monitoring calls me but the push notice is quicker. 

Why do you want integration into security and Control4?  Just a couple of reasons.

Override during sprinkler use.

Different levels of leak detection (from the ones that monitor flow) depending on if you are at home or not.  If I'm at home, 30 minutes is ok.  If I'm not, if water is running for 2 minutes, I might want it turned off.  Lot of difference in damage between 2 minutes and 30 minutes.

Archived