C4 Forums | Control4

Is there a way to program without being a dealer

Just now, PeterB said:

Would like to add and delete things on my own without always having to go back to a dealer.

You may get some short answers like "No". I thought I would write a few more words since it's your first post. You have the option of working for a dealer ;)

What kind of "things" do you want to add? 

Not typically.

ComposerHE lets you do nearly everything dealers can do with ComposerPro, with the exception of:

• Adding / Renaming new devices and rooms (including 'swapping out' TVs or other devices for different models)
  • Making *bindings* (connections) between devices, including network addressing
  • Doing loops in programming

There are many 'on-line' dealers who will (for a small fee) add and connect new devices, and loops in programming are rarely needed with timers, which are typically a better option.

Most other programming, including ad-hoc things like programming 'When motion sensor triggers, and it's nighttime, turn on lights' can be done with ComposerHE.

RyanE

Be nice guys. He liked a C4 system he saw and bought some gear off ebay not really knowing it was a dealer ecosystem. He just wants to get it working and like many of us would desire some DIY control. Maybe some kind soul would offer a hand for a reasonable fee?

The reality is he is better off locating a local dealer or someone who can plan a trip on site.  The fact that he purchased a system without understanding the product is why he needs to deal with someone directly who can fully understand his needs and how to properly deal with them. 

22 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Be nice guys. He liked a C4 system he saw and bought some gear off ebay not really knowing it was a dealer ecosystem. He just wants to get it working and like many of us would desire some DIY control. Maybe some kind soul would offer a hand for a reasonable fee?

As reasonable as you make it out to be, some basics need to be laid down and, IMO, a dealer working on-site can answer many more questions (and provide insight as to infrastructure required) than a remote entity could or would.  If OP thought it was a "Home Depot" grade of componentry, he needs to be made aware now that it isn't plug & play, not later.

OP, stop purchasing ebay cast-offs and perhaps pop for a in-home consultation.  Ask if the dealer has an issue with owner-provided equipment and if no, then have he/she suggest how to build-up and/or around what you already own.  Get off to a good start and you will be rewarded.  Many here over the years have gotten hung on the DIY thing and never really embraced the convenience aspect of a functional Control4 system.  Of course there are always those who do have fine systems and still complain about lack of DIY-friendlyness :)

1 hour ago, Unsocialtoaster said:

Not technically any more... at least that's what I was told last year when a client asked about being able to write his own drivers for his heating system. 

Don't think so. 

Control4.com/for/partners

You have to be a manufacturer or otherwise commercially developing drivers to become a “partner” apparently (again, this is based on what I was told last year when enquiring for a client. As he was neither, c4 wouldn’t help with this program). 

C4 certainly used to have a program where anyone could sign up for a nominal fee to be a developer and gain access to Composer Pro and the DriverworksSDK (a different client from my old company did this), but this is no longer running. 

38 minutes ago, Unsocialtoaster said:

C4 certainly used to have a program where anyone could sign up for a nominal fee to be a developer and gain access to Composer Pro and the DriverworksSDK (a different client from my old company did this), but this is no longer running. 

Now I’d pay (lots) to do that... but don’t think it can be done anymore... ???

The developer program was specifically tied to the Flash Navigator UI functionality, and did for a time allow to become a developer specifically for writing apps, although writing drivers associated with the apps did require having ComposerPro, etc.

Control4 certainly still has a partner program, which supports both manufacturers' developers as well as 3rd-party professional developers.  It is not designed for one-off customers (even programmers) to develop drivers solely for their homes.

RyanE

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

Control4 certainly still has a partner program, which supports both manufacturers' developers as well as 3rd-party professional developers.  It is not designed for one-off customers (even programmers) to develop drivers solely for their homes.

RyanE

I take it those types of users are never going to be supported, which is a real shame. 

Just now, johnpg said:

I take it those types of users are never going to be supported, which is a real shame. 

Is it? I mean I understand what you are after but is that mass market? Is that a money maker? Likely not 

Just now, msgreenf said:

Is it? I mean I understand what you are after but is that mass market? Is that a money maker? Likely not 

That wasn't my point. It's not a real shame for Control4, it's a real shame for those who'd like to do that.

28 minutes ago, johnpg said:

That wasn't my point. It's not a real shame for Control4, it's a real shame for those who'd like to do that.

There are DIY platforms where people can build their own drivers.  If that is what you require then C4 isn’t for you.   C4 doesn’t advertise being a one stop solution for everyone.  

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

There are DIY platforms where people can build their own drivers.  If that is what you require then C4 isn’t for you.   C4 doesn’t advertise being a one stop solution for everyone.  

But wouldn't it be great for those customers that are perfectly capable to manage their own system and extend it in ways that are meaningful to them?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.