C4 Forums | Control4

Motorized shades wiring

slevittmd

Question

TL:DR: Can the Cat5 cable that was pre-wired through my house to power motorized blinds actuall handle the load? 

When my house was built recently, it was prewired for just about everything, including motorized shades. I trusted my dealer at the time and didn’t ask maybe as many questions as I should have. It appears that they pre-wired all the location for motorized shades with Cat5 cable (I’m assuming, it’s a single cable with 8 smaller cables inside). 

Unfortunately, the people who I bought the shades from (local budget blinds dealer) also haven’t done this much, but assured me the Somfy motors would work well. They just installed them, but now have no idea how to hook them up. From what I understand, once the Somfy motors work with the Somfy MyLink, C4 integration is pretty easy. 

However, theyr’e currently installed, but not powered. The dealer said that hooking them up should be an electrician’s issue (which I disagree with). Will the Cat5 cable I currently have run be able to power these or did I get screwed? The motors are Sonesse 30 RTS.

2 answers to this question

Archived