C4 Forums | Control4

Optical SPDIF Audio Extender Over CAT5/CAT6

Hi, got client he changed TV. Tv in first floor and all equipment in rack room in basement. Before his tv was connected with regular RCA to Cat-5 balun. New tv doesn't have analog audio output, 

Any not expensive Optical SPDIF Audio Extender Over CAT5/CAT6 or might be Optical SPDIF to coax converter?

Thanks

What is the TV model? Could put a dac at the TV and use the existing analog return. Otherwise converting toslink to spdif coax will be limited based on cabling and distance back to the head end. Also what is it connected to on the other end, avr, or audio matrix/amp?

Converter I will keep in near by TV (1 feet optic cable) from TV there is a RG-6 ( about 20 feet) goes to the rack room, I did long ran coax audio cables before, 20 feet should work. just have concerns about converter.

Thanks.

The Blustream CAT100AU is £120 and can transmit optical or coaxial over CAT cable. Has a built in DAC at the receiver end and transmitter is powered from  receiver end too so no need for separate power supply behind TV. We use them for audio return from TVs on almost every job.

http://www.blustream.co.uk/cat100au/

5 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

The Blustream CAT100AU is £120 and can transmit optical or coaxial over CAT cable. Has a built in DAC at the receiver end and transmitter is powered from  receiver end too so no need for separate power supply behind TV. We use them for audio return from TVs on almost evert job.

http://www.blustream.co.uk/cat100au/

Nice - Haven't seen the ones which transfer power to the remote unit!

I'm in a similar situation. I have a large JAP install. However, each TV has android and I would like to use the TV apps for prime, netflix etc. as Roku in Canada doesn't have the Amazon Prime app. I need to audio back to my C4 matrix in order to distribute to the ceiling speakers. I have sony TVs but I might upgrade to LG OLED which output atmos thru its audio out connection. Is there any over IP extender that exists which can handle Atmos?  

On 7/11/2018 at 9:20 AM, ERDrPC said:

I'm in a similar situation. I have a large JAP install. However, each TV has android and I would like to use the TV apps for prime, netflix etc. as Roku in Canada doesn't have the Amazon Prime app. I need to audio back to my C4 matrix in order to distribute to the ceiling speakers. I have sony TVs but I might upgrade to LG OLED which output atmos thru its audio out connection. Is there any over IP extender that exists which can handle Atmos?  

there is DAC (digital to Analog converter), one side connected to TV's audio output, second goes to matrix. have done it few times. don't buy very cheap DAC- will work not for long time, sound might be bad or very expensive one as well. 

Archived