C4 Forums | Control4

Somfy vs Lutron

Hi All,

Starting to look at motorized blinds and I have a few questions.  the Big one is Somfy or Lutron?  but I have some considerations to think about.

1. Quiet - I hear lutron hands down, is somfy really that loud?
  2. Outdoor Shades for my patio, it seems like somfy is the only one that has options for this.  Does anyone know if Lutron has an outdoor option?
  3. Most of the house has Manual Hunter douglas 2.5" wood blinds or Plantation Shutters, but I have a handful that I would like to retro fit with at least Tilt because the colorado sun comes in them in the morning and heats up the kitchen with a quickness.  Would love to have them open and close at the right times to avoid that.  I found retrofit tilt motors from somfy.  Does Lutron make something similar?  https://www.floridaautomatedshade.com/Somfy-12-Volt-RTS-Tilt-Motor-1002822-p/1002822.htm
  4. I want to outfit the entire basement which we just finished, with automated roller shades.  as well as some high up foyer windows that we can't reach, where the sun also comes in the heats up the upstairs.  
  5. Would you guys mix and match lutron and somfy?  or would you just go somfy and deal with the "noise".
  6. If lutron, what integration and models work best?  Caseta, RadioRA, Homeworks?
  7. If Somfy, what integration and Models do you recommend?  RTS,  something else?

Really appreciate all of your input and help

Lutron is hands-down better than Somfy.  Much quieter, shades move at the same speed, 3-6 year battery life, 8 year warranty etc.

However, Lutron does not offer a blind retro kit like Sonfy does, nor does it have outdoor options.

If you are going with Lutron Tilt (louver) solutions, then you can't use the Smart Bridge Pro or Radio Ra Select -- you will need the standard Radio Ra 2.

You don't need to use the same company for all your shading. You can use a combination of Lutron, Somfy and even Hunter Douglas (which actually works well now).

We are a motorized shading dealer for a number of companies. If we can help, let me know.

32 minutes ago, DawnGordon said:

Lutron is hands-down better than Somfy.  Much quieter, shades move at the same speed, 3-6 year battery life, 8 year warranty etc.

However, Lutron does not offer a blind retro kit like Sonfy does, nor does it have outdoor options.

If you are going with Lutron Tilt (louver) solutions, then you can't use the Smart Bridge Pro or Radio Ra Select -- you will need the standard Radio Ra 2.

You don't need to use the same company for all your shading. You can use a combination of Lutron, Somfy and even Hunter Douglas (which actually works well now).

We are a motorized shading dealer for a number of companies. If we can help, let me know.

If you want just a basic roller shade - white, cream, or other basic colors (no patterns) and you can hardwire them because its new renovation, is there any difference between Serena vs Sivoia QS or Sivoia Triathalon?

I am looking at Serena vs Bali/Somfy vs Rollease/Shade Store vs AVOutlet.  So really running the price (and service) spectrum since Shade Store and Bali/Somfy via Lowes they will come out to measure and install.  Serena Lutron and AVOutlet at DIY friend and at a totally different price point with AVoutlet using Somfy RTS 30 either wireless or RS485 motors.

45 minutes ago, DawnGordon said:

You can use a combination of Lutron, Somfy and even Hunter Douglas (which actually works well now).

We had scrapped the idea of Powerview because everyone said the integration wasn't good.  I think i mentioned in another thread I really am liking their horizontal banded shades.  But It been hard to find anything like that outside of Hunter Douglas.  I wonder if they have a retrofit tilt kit for their stuff.

1 hour ago, terminaldisclaimer said:

Hands down Lutron! 

Don't get Serena as they are only compatible with Caseta. I think you need Triathlon if you want it to be compatible with RadioRa2.

What does radiora2 give you over caseta if you already use control4 for your automation platform?

11 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

More devices (200 over 50), keypads, fan control, more advanced programming, more repeaters, Maestro style switches - to name a few.

Thanks.   Not looking at fans and looking at 4 windows, certainly not over 50.  Use C4 switches so no need for Maestro style switches.  If just looking for a few blinds and utilizing C4 for other control the actual hardware quality is the same between the two?  Sivolia may have another chip for RadioRa2 but otherwise hardware is identical?  I need to be economic for 4 blinds in a living room that can be hardwired.  

• 10 months later...
On 5/31/2019 at 10:24 PM, fluid15 said:

Which line of Lutron shades are up to 12' x 12'?  Does anyone else do that and do it well?

Currently that is considered a Triathlon WIDR and requires a full line Lutron Shades dealer. They are re-vamping the Triathlon dealers right now, and a newly certified Triathlon delaer should be able to get you a 12'x12' soon, just a limited fabric selection.

17 minutes ago, BakerBalay said:

Currently that is considered a Triathlon WIDR and requires a full line Lutron Shades dealer. They are re-vamping the Triathlon dealers right now, and a newly certified Triathlon delaer should be able to get you a 12'x12' soon, just a limited fabric selection.

Thx.  I have heard of the WIDR style before but couldn't find which line, ie Triathlon, they were part of.

3 hours ago, fluid15 said:

Thx.  I have heard of the WIDR style before but couldn't find which line, ie Triathlon, they were part of.

They have WIDR and oversized tubes in several lines, but WIDR generally refers to Triathlon. I'm taking the improved class at the end of the month, so I'll be official. Been doing it unofficially for some time now.

I need some smallish (36" square) motorized roller shades (9 of them at minimum) that I can control with Control4. The Serena stuff looks cool and all, but $600/shade feels awfully high. Is there a more cost effective option out there, or should I scrap the idea entirely?

3 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

I need some smallish (36" square) motorized roller shades (9 of them at minimum) that I can control with Control4. The Serena stuff looks cool and all, but $600/shade feels awfully high. Is there a more cost effective option out there, or should I scrap the idea entirely?

Battery or wired?  My quote for 5'x6' wired are about $1200/shade.

I got battery Lutron Triathlon cellular shades (similar to Serena but more color options) for my Radio RA2 system and they averaged about $400 each. Size is about 40” x 66”. So Serena should be even cheaper. 

9 hours ago, dinom said:

I got battery Lutron Triathlon cellular shades (similar to Serena but more color options) for my Radio RA2 system and they averaged about $400 each. Size is about 40” x 66”. So Serena should be even cheaper. 

Where are you seeing these prices? I can’t find prices like that. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.