C4 Forums | Control4

OS2.11.0

South Africa C4 user

I am assuming that the next full OS version will be OS2.11.0 although I’d love it to be 3.0.0! I am also assuming that this release will happen at the beginning of September at CEDIA...

There has been very little posted on the wishlist forum for a long time and I was wondering what everyone is hoping to see in the next OS? Personally, I’d love to see a little more flexibility on the UI (e.g. Experience Buttons on the home page and the ability to pull up a normal menu via an Experience button (so that we are not limited to Comfort, Security, Watch, Listen Etc.).

I’d also like to see some better Apple Integration. Updating the look and feel of the AirPlay driver would be a great start!

It would be nice if the Navigation agent was extended beyond cameras although I am not sure that I would do much with this.

The Access Agent has needed a makeover for a long long time and I am hoping that the time may have come for this!

It would also be great if the screensaver agent was updated to allow one to play different media at different times and on different screens.

The email agent could also do with a facelift.

All that said, I am surprisingly happy with everything that my system can do at present, so I don’t really have many ”wishes”. Hopefully the brains at C4 will surprise me with something brilliant that I have not even thought of.

Then, there also some bugs that it would be great to see squashed...

Would be keen to hear everyone else’s thoughts and let’s please avoid making this an Intercom App thread and assume that said App will be out soon (before CEDIA 🤫).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

How about voice control within the remote ? 

We have that on our satellite provider at the moment

I think that is a much better investment in time vs light bulbs...

For OS 3.0 Control4 needs to a real revamp of the OS:

• Flash just isn't feasible anymore. Its sluggish and outdated. The way to go would be a HTML5 based GUI
  • With such a GUI change more flexibility would be nice - a homescreen with a matrix to arrange Icons, custom web pages built in for display of graphs/graphics (light levels, volumes of tanks, usage statstics - just to name a few) via drivers or built in Control4 Agents) and best of all embedded video from cameras!
  • The media management is a real pain in the but - what once was great and easy to use back in 2007 is really outdated 2018.
    In this regard I think the right way to go would be running an Emby or Plex media server on one HC in the project. This way an easy and sophisticated management of music, movies and finally tv-series would be possible via web browsers. Drivers could easily tap into that database and the database could be distributed for 3rd party devices like HEOS etc..

And for such an overhaul it would be worth paying for an update.

But I fear that:

a) Control doesn't really care what most end user would like because in that cause there would be some sort of official thread or poll

b) for a Cedia relase this which list comes too late :-(

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

C4 light bulbs? Why? Are you looking for RGB or just plain white?

I don't think it makes sense for C4 to do anything with bulbs. Partner, fine. That said I want bulbs that are white with color temp and dimming control. I want these to have a memory of last state and I want them to operate from a switch and API's. I love Hue bulbs for color temp, but I hate hate hate how they just don't want to play nice with typical use cases and that they have such a limited selection of physical controls. I could go on an on. Color is fun if you get it as a bonus, but I would kick it to the curb if I got performing white color temp variable bulbs with memory. I can't wait for Phillips Hue to grow up and shed its toy like approach.

5 hours ago, blub said:

custom web pages built in for display of graphs/graphics (light levels, volumes of tanks, usage statstics - just to name a few) via drivers or built in Control4 Agents)

I think you'll be seeing more and more webview stuff coming out from third party developers. It gives us quite a bit of control. It would be nice if Control4 gave us a style template to work with to keep the interfaces similar for all third party developers.

Redacted a bunch of info but the following is a webview in a similar style as the Media Service proxy. I've also built a bunch of components (sliders, switches, modals, etc) including their CSS which I will likely post open source (including the MIT license) for anyone to use. 

image.png.07cd3ad58b30f0c5d78ff2e9413b8fba.png

4 hours ago, Cyknight said:

What Flash? Flash died with the T3's and EA's coming out.

Isn't Adobe Air Flash?  That's still what is used on the PC based Navigator.   A switch to a web-based Navigator as mentioned above would be nice.

How about Composer Pro/HE becoming a web app so that everything is done via a browser rather than via a Windows application?  That would help folks who run Macs or Linux and want to use Composer HE.  An example of this would be the Unifi Controller software.

A refresh to the Navigator UI would also be nice - IMHO it is kind of tired looking.

Fuller functionality for the mobile apps - including allowing them to be as functional as a TS.

A decent colour light bulb proxy/control to control RGB bulbs like the Hue bulbs.

Allow more customization of so that you can move controls up a level or two - even to the home page.  For example to get to my Fireplace controls I have to go Comfort-Extras-Fireplace.  Why not have it directly under Comfort rather than burying it under extras?

Allow custom icons in the Navigator UI.

9 hours ago, Cyknight said:

What Flash? Flash died with the T3's and EA's coming out.

Mhhh the MyHome APP is Adobe AIR which requires flash - so I am not so sure if it is dead ....

5 hours ago, TheWizard said:

Redacted a bunch of info but the following is a webview in a similar style as the Media Service proxy. I've also built a bunch of components (sliders, switches, modals, etc) including their CSS which I will likely post open source (including the MIT license) for anyone to use. 

image.png.07cd3ad58b30f0c5d78ff2e9413b8fba.png

Looks good.

C4 GUI needs a rework to display more variety of devices or status graphics - and HTML5 would probably be a good choice

5 hours ago, zaphod said:

A switch to a web-based Navigator as mentioned above would be nice.

As I mentioned before, Bluestacks and Android app....

5 hours ago, zaphod said:

Allow more customization of so that you can move controls up a level or two - even to the home page.  For example to get to my Fireplace controls I have to go Comfort-Extras-Fireplace.  Why not have it directly under Comfort rather than burying it under extras?

Allow custom icons in the Navigator UI.

Experience buttons do this .... well except for going direct to home screen

26 minutes ago, blub said:

Mhhh the MyHome APP is Adobe AIR which requires flash - so I am not so sure if it is dead ....

As per above - it's around but merely an older still existing application...just because it's still backward supported and available doesn't mean it's truly part of the current line up. ?Unless of course you'd like to see theprevious gen TS and HC800 and HC2500 dropped as supported devices?

9 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

As per above - it's around but merely an older still existing application...just because it's still backward supported and available doesn't mean it's truly part of the current line up. ?Unless of course you'd like to see theprevious gen TS and HC800 and HC2500 dropped as supported devices?

Nah don't want that.

I really just didn't know that the new stuff isn't using flash anymore - do you know what the current GUI runs on? Just curious

19 hours ago, blub said:

For OS 3.0 Control4 needs to a real revamp of the OS:

• The media management is a real pain in the but - what once was great and easy to use back in 2007 is really outdated 2018.
    In this regard I think the right way to go would be running an Emby or Plex media server on one HC in the project. This way an easy and sophisticated management of music, movies and finally tv-series would be possible via web browsers. Drivers could easily tap into that database and the database could be distributed for 3rd party devices like HEOS etc..

I certainly agree that media management could be vastly improved. The interface to add/build playlists in Composer is really outdated and very cumbersome. 

13 hours ago, zaphod said:

How about Composer Pro/HE becoming a web app so that everything is done via a browser rather than via a Windows application?  That would help folks who run Macs or Linux and want to use Composer HE.  An example of this would be the Unifi Controller software.

This would be great.

Having Composer separate the UI thread from the general work stuff would also be fantastic. Even if they have to throw up a loading wheel so you can't run other commands against broker/director while it's working.

• 1 month later...

Here's my list, some of these may actually happen, some probably won't, and some may not be possible due to 3rd parties (i.e. Apple)

1. Airplay 2 support for Shairbridge
  2. Support for Zigbee lights like Hue without the need for the Hue or other Zigbee bridge.
  3. Apple Music Integration
  4. Siri and Google Home support
  5. Improvements to When/Then for more advanced programming

John

1 hour ago, johnpg said:

Here's my list, some of these may actually happen, some probably won't, and some may not be possible due to 3rd parties (i.e. Apple)

1. Airplay 2 support for Shairbridge
  2. Support for Zigbee lights like Hue without the need for the Hue or other Zigbee bridge.
  3. Apple Music Integration
  4. Siri and Google Home support
  5. Improvements to When/Then for more advanced programming

John

1 Yeah that'd be good, I guess.

2 Nope - C4 operates on it's own ZigBee - if that were to happen, it's going to have to come from the 'other' side (I really don't see them dropping their own stack, in no small part as it locks down some if not most ZigBee security issues).

3 That still exists? 😉

4 Work for lawyers more than anything

5 Why? If more advanced programming is what you want, why not just use HE? the When->Then part is more meant for those to whom HE is too complex. That said, it could certainly be expanded upon, just not to more advanced options, just more options.

3 hours ago, Cyknight said:

1 Yeah that'd be good, I guess.

2 Nope - C4 operates on it's own ZigBee - if that were to happen, it's going to have to come from the 'other' side (I really don't see them dropping their own stack, in no small part as it locks down some if not most ZigBee security issues).

3 That still exists? 😉

4 Work for lawyers more than anything

5 Why? If more advanced programming is what you want, why not just use HE? the When->Then part is more meant for those to whom HE is too complex. That said, it could certainly be expanded upon, just not to more advanced options, just more options.

3. Agreed I use it daily... but updating the interface to be more like the Tidal (etc.) interface would be nice.  Also, if they did bring something like this out, it would probably (now) require less setup and workarounds to get it working nicely. 

Archived