C4 Forums | Control4

OS2.11.0

South Africa C4 user

12 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

3. Agreed I use it daily... but updating the interface to be more like the Tidal (etc.) interface would be nice.  Also, if they did bring something like this out, it would probably (now) require less setup and workarounds to get it working nicely. 

I think of all of my wish list items this one would be the most valuable to me. Since Apple Music files have DRM I can't play them in C4 without using Shairbridge, which is hit or miss, and is why I am also hoping for Airplay 2 support. We'll see what happens. Apple Music integration may not happen due to Apple, but at least Airplay 2 is something they are freely licensing. 

John

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Cyknight said:

1 Yeah that'd be good, I guess.

2 Nope - C4 operates on it's own ZigBee - if that were to happen, it's going to have to come from the 'other' side (I really don't see them dropping their own stack, in no small part as it locks down some if not most ZigBee security issues).

3 That still exists? 😉

4 Work for lawyers more than anything

5 Why? If more advanced programming is what you want, why not just use HE? the When->Then part is more meant for those to whom HE is too complex. That said, it could certainly be expanded upon, just not to more advanced options, just more options.

2) I'm aware of that, but is there a physical (i.e. radio spectrum) incompatibility, or is it just software? I wonder if it's just software if that sort of support could be added (assuming they wanted to do it). I honestly have no idea. Do you know?

John

Looks like the EA Controlers are getting a face lift ~ start shipping 1st September 

All v2 models:
• Requires the system to be running OS 2.10.2 or later
• New solid-state disc (SSD) that stores the Control4 OS and project data
• The ID button on the back now has an integrated LED helpful for certain restore procedures (see 
the documentation for details)
• The model number is silk-screened on the front panel
EA-1 V2:
• New, more compact packaging.
EA-1 PoE:
• A new model designed to be installed behind televisions throughout the home, enabling 
entertainment and automation experiences in every room. 
o Compact size can be easily installed behind televisions using the included wall-mount 
bracket
o Integrated Power over Ethernet (PoE) offers single-cable installation for power and 
network and saves you time, space, and money
o PoE enables remote reboot through Pakedge Ethernet switches and BakPak 
o Integrated 2-port Ethernet switch connects the EA-1 PoE and television to the home 
network without the need to pull an additional network cable or install an Ethernet switch
o Includes the I/O you need to control entertainment equipment, including four IR and two 
serial outputs
o HDMI out for on-screen display and streaming music 
o Note that it does not include WiFi and can only be powered PoE+
EA-3 V2:
• Updated analog audio circuit for higher dynamic range
• A new muting circuit that prevents the controller from emitting a popping sound during a reboot 
or reset.
• The wall mount bracket is no longer included. The bracket is still available for purchase as an 
accessory (C4-WMEA3).
• WiFi is no longer built in. WiFi can be added with a new USB WiFi adapter that is available as an 
accessory (C4-USBWIFI or C4-USBWIFI-1 depending on your location).
EA-5 V2:
• The rack-mount brackets are now installed by default, saving you time on nearly every install. The 
rubber feet are included in the accessory box in case you need them.
• A new muting circuit that prevents the controller from emitting a popping sound during a reboot 
or reset.
• WiFi is no longer built in. WiFi can be added with a new USB WiFi radio that is available as an 
• New, more rugged packaging

2 hours ago, johnpg said:

I think of all of my wish list items this one would be the most valuable to me. Since Apple Music files have DRM I can't play them in C4 without using Shairbridge, which is hit or miss, and is why I am also hoping for Airplay 2 support. We'll see what happens. Apple Music integration may not happen due to Apple, but at least Airplay 2 is something they are freely licensing. 

John

If you get the iTunes driver working right and you have a PC running itunes on your network already, you should be able to get a rock solid setup without using Shairbridge.

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Looks like the EA Controlers are getting a face lift ~ start shipping 1st September 

All v2 models:
• Requires the system to be running OS 2.10.2 or later
• New solid-state disc (SSD) that stores the Control4 OS and project data
• The ID button on the back now has an integrated LED helpful for certain restore procedures (see 
the documentation for details)
• The model number is silk-screened on the front panel
EA-1 V2:
• New, more compact packaging.
EA-1 PoE:
• A new model designed to be installed behind televisions throughout the home, enabling 
entertainment and automation experiences in every room. 
o Compact size can be easily installed behind televisions using the included wall-mount 
bracket
o Integrated Power over Ethernet (PoE) offers single-cable installation for power and 
network and saves you time, space, and money
o PoE enables remote reboot through Pakedge Ethernet switches and BakPak 
o Integrated 2-port Ethernet switch connects the EA-1 PoE and television to the home 
network without the need to pull an additional network cable or install an Ethernet switch
o Includes the I/O you need to control entertainment equipment, including four IR and two 
serial outputs
o HDMI out for on-screen display and streaming music 
o Note that it does not include WiFi and can only be powered PoE+
EA-3 V2:
• Updated analog audio circuit for higher dynamic range
or reset.
• The wall mount bracket is no longer included. The bracket is still available for purchase as an 
accessory (C4-WMEA3).
• WiFi is no longer built in. WiFi can be added with a new USB WiFi adapter that is available as an 
EA-5 V2:
• The rack-mount brackets are now installed by default, saving you time on nearly every install. The 
rubber feet are included in the accessory box in case you need them.
or reset.
• WiFi is no longer built in. WiFi can be added with a new USB WiFi radio that is available as an 
• New, more rugged packaging

This sounds interesting as I am just finalizing an order for our beach house (2 EA5s, 2 EA3s and lots of EA1s). Is this an official announcement yet?  Is there a speed improvement with these? Better processor?

Not sure about any improvement - Was just told because we bought a ea1 for a Guest bedroom and  we bought a HC800 in  the December then the EA3/5 came out in January - So my dealer was feeling a bit "sheepish"

The EA1 - The  CCTV camera is a Bit Crap - but he his sorting that out tomorrow (One Hopes), however its Only 720p he says which is crap,

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, South Africa C4 user said:

I am getting the distinct feeling that the big news this year is Intercom Anywhere and that the OS upgrade will be fairly minor... that said, I really hope that I am wrong. We will know in a day or two...

And before Gary beats me to it... I agree, that was last year’s big news 🤣

22 minutes ago, mallom said:

I would like to see an updated remote control, more music services and updated GUI.

agree.  While the SR250/260 are super functional and I like the weight and how they feel in the hand, the yellow text at the top is super dated.  I LOOOOVE the newer Crestron Remotes - one model you can even do keycap engravings.  Though its nice with a C4 remote you can move between rooms and the like, I maybe use that option 1-2x a year.  So I'd rather have something like the Crestron model that is more fixed to a room but just looks sleeker, color logos or engraved keycaps for my setup, etc

https://www.crestron.com/Products/Featured-Solutions/Crestron-Remotes

3 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

agree.  While the SR250/260 are super functional and I like the weight and how they feel in the hand, the yellow text at the top is super dated.  I LOOOOVE the newer Crestron Remotes - one model you can even do keycap engravings.  Though its nice with a C4 remote you can move between rooms and the like, I maybe use that option 1-2x a year.  So I'd rather have something like the Crestron model that is more fixed to a room but just looks sleeker, color logos or engraved keycaps for my setup, etc

https://www.crestron.com/Products/Featured-Solutions/Crestron-Remotes

I just hope they don't get rid of the hard buttons. It does not make sense, IMO, to have a handheld remote without it.

3 minutes ago, mallom said:

I just hope they don't get rid of the hard buttons. It does not make sense, IMO, to have a handheld remote without it.

If anything like the Crestron, RTI, et al remotes, they still do. Savant's old remote with the iPod touch at the top was pretty terribly balanced. 

Archived