C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Intercom App is out! Go get it!!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, eddy.trochez said:

Correct, in the 2N app you have to disable CallKit to get a preview. With the DS2, you can get an email with an image when someone rings the door station. This is a built in feature, not third party driver required. And you can set it to missed calls only or all calls. I prefer all calls.

ah ok its nice they will send you a snapshot - so you do not need a 3rd party driver.  I already had alan's driver so I tested using callkit (a direct call) and looking at alan's snap shot vs just using the push notice, hitting a button - see the live feed then decide to answer - and ultimately that is what I decided.  to each their own.

3 minutes ago, Pounce said:

I am wondering what happens if 1) 4sight is not available 2) 4sight is terminated after installation.

i am pretty sure you need 4sight or the app won't work.  If u terminate, it will stop working

4 minutes ago, Pounce said:

I am wondering what happens if 1) 4sight is not available 2) 4sight is terminated after installation.

No, it won't work without 4Sight. From the documents:

Q: What is new in the Intercom Anywhere app?
A: The Control4 Intercom Anywhere app enables you to expand your Control4 system’s intercom functionality to include calls to and from mobile devices. Using the Intercom Anywhere app with your Control4 system requires a 4sight license.

4 minutes ago, eddy.trochez said:

No, it won't work without 4Sight. From the documents:

Q: What is new in the Intercom Anywhere app?
A: The Control4 Intercom Anywhere app enables you to expand your Control4 system’s intercom functionality to include calls to and from mobile devices. Using the Intercom Anywhere app with your Control4 system requires a 4sight license.

Yea, I read that as well, but sometimes there is a different reality. 

I'm not very happy you must have 4sight and it wont work if 4sight is down. I wont bother with it if it requires in all cases an external connection to function. It just doesn't fit my requirements.

5 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

ah ok its nice they will send you a snapshot - so you do not need a 3rd party driver.  I already had alan's driver so I tested using callkit (a direct call) and looking at alan's snap shot vs just using the push notice, hitting a button - see the live feed then decide to answer - and ultimately that is what I decided.  to each their own.

Well, the DS2 snapshot won't get to your mailbox at the same time there's an incoming call. I thought you meant getting a snapshot when you missed a call.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

And potentially give you a lot of grief, so stop doing that and create separate users.

LOL - You can give me negative feedback all you want, but you're going against specific C4 recommendations not to due to poor user experience, and issues if both phones answer at the same time. Not to mention lose the ability to use the app for calling the other phones.

3 hours ago, Pounce said:

Yea, I read that as well, but sometimes there is a different reality. 

I'm not very happy you must have 4sight and it wont work if 4sight is down. I wont bother with it if it requires in all cases an external connection to function. It just doesn't fit my requirements.

It makes a fairly large amount of sense from both a technical and business perspective.

Your C4 system requires something to link it with the outside world.  Without a Internet-based service your controller would have no idea where to send push notifications or send intercom calls.  4Sight is C4's infrastructure to provide access to the APN and FCN networks.  Your controller doesn't have direct access to them - it needs a middle man.

Control4 provides this middle man (at, I suspect a somewhat large expense) and charges for it.

I'm not sure how you expect your door station to connect to your cell phone if the Internet is out...

5 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

Can you share what you did?  Software and drivers fully updated, rebooted controller, still getting the message that a software update is needed.

Thanks, Will

Yessir. Very easy. If you downloaded the app previously and tried to login, that is the issue. It’s using your failed cached login. Delete the app. Then reinstall it and try logging in again. It should work.

Hope that helps!

5 minutes ago, nevets23 said:

Yessir. Very easy. If you downloaded the app previously and tried to login, that is the issue. It’s using your failed cached login. Delete the app. Then reinstall it and try logging in again. It should work.

Hope that helps!

yep, that worked.  thanks!

9 hours ago, RyanE said:

So everyone who was betting this would show up *at CEDIA* or later, you were wrong (but not far off).

:)

RyanE

I have a DS1 and saw this link which I am not able to open since I am not a dealer.  http://ctrl4.co/ds2upgrade  - It is the upgrade details from DS1 to DS2.

1. I presume the new intercom app doesn't work with DS1, correct?

2. I have a flush mounted DS1 (they only came flush mounted I believe).  I am simply trying to figure out if the DS2 Mini FLUSH mounted dimensions are the same as the hole I have for my DS1.  The DS1 I have now is flush mounted with the following dimensions. - 7.19” (182 mm) x 5.13” (130 mm) x 2.3” (58 mm).  The dimensions for the Ds2 are only shown for the model that includes the keypad.  I need the one for the DS2 Mini.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer as I would like to order one through my dealer. 😉

3 hours ago, livitup said:

It makes a fairly large amount of sense from both a technical and business perspective.

Your C4 system requires something to link it with the outside world.  Without a Internet-based service your controller would have no idea where to send push notifications or send intercom calls.  4Sight is C4's infrastructure to provide access to the APN and FCN networks.  Your controller doesn't have direct access to them - it needs a middle man.

Control4 provides this middle man (at, I suspect a somewhat large expense) and charges for it.

I'm not sure how you expect your door station to connect to your cell phone if the Internet is out...

It's not really hard to have a closed video intercom system. Perhaps you didn't understand what I wrote. I only want intercom on mobile devices on a local network. A dependency of 4sight and internet access in all scenarios is simply lazy.

1 minute ago, Pounce said:

It's not really hard to have a closed video intercom system. Perhaps you didn't understand what I wrote. I only want intercom on mobile devices on a local network. A dependency of 4sight and internet access in all scenarios is simply lazy.

Pretty sure you can do this already with Third party sip apps

Just now, Matt Lowe said:

Pretty sure you can do this already with Third party sip apps

Perhaps, but it sure would have been nice if C4 didn't keep putting all of its eggs in cloud services. When there is a service interruption of 4sight all customers in all circumstances will lose this functionality. I'm simply disappointed. I'm guessing that sooner or later there is going to be an awkward moment at best or a safety moment at worst as a result. 

9 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Perhaps, but it sure would have been nice if C4 didn't keep putting all of its eggs in cloud services. When there is a service interruption of 4sight all customers in all circumstances will lose this functionality. I'm simply disappointed. I'm guessing that sooner or later there is going to be an awkward moment at best or a safety moment at worst as a result. 

In 5 years I can never think of a time I couldn't access my system with 4 sight. And almost every video doorbell on the market that I have seen is cloud based. Excluding regular cameras of course.Which you can setup your ds2 as a camera to view it outside of the c4 app

1 minute ago, Matt Lowe said:

In 5 years I can never think of a time I couldn't access my system with 4 sight. And almost every video doorbell on the market that I have seen is cloud based. Excluding regular cameras of course.Which you can setup your ds2 as a camera to view it outside of the c4 app

Well, statistically, there will be a time and there will be services outages on the internet and providers that will impact the service indirectly.

Has to be said:  App is pretty good.

It seems to have one oddity:  after i called the DS2 to watch the view of the front door just for kicks, a UPS guy showed up and rang the DS2 doorbell.  That terminated the connection.  d'oh!

But: it connects quickly for me, and does what it says it will do.  Good for C4.  Now just need to improve the atrocious picture quality of my DS2 - everyone looks like a green zombie.

Archived