C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Intercom App is out! Go get it!!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Pounce said:

It's not really hard to have a closed video intercom system. Perhaps you didn't understand what I wrote. I only want intercom on mobile devices on a local network. A dependency of 4sight and internet access in all scenarios is simply lazy.

But that isn't how it works. It's not lazy. You need internet for push messaging and to make the whole thing work. 

4 hours ago, msgreenf said:

But that isn't how it works. It's not lazy. You need internet for push messaging and to make the whole thing work. 

But not in all usage scenarios and you can have this functionality on a closed network. I know you want to tell me this is the only way, but it's just not.

14 minutes ago, Pounce said:

But not in all usage scenarios and you can have this functionality on a closed network. I know you want to tell me this is the only way, but it's just not.

how do you do push notifications if APN or Google cloud isn't available?

15 minutes ago, Pounce said:

That is the only way the intercom anywhere app will work.

41 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

That is the only way the intercom anywhere app will work.

Putting myself in the shoes of an end user....   I can see where @Pounce is coming from.... but I still believe 4sight is a small price to pay for the amount of benefits it comes with.

1 hour ago, dcovach said:

Putting myself in the shoes of an end user....   I can see where @Pounce is coming from.... but I still believe 4sight is a small price to pay for the amount of benefits it comes with.

Thanks. The cost isn't the issue for me. Its the 100% dependency for any functionality. I don't want my local needs impacted by internet connectivity. That is the same for all C4 functional areas.

20 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Thanks. The cost isn't the issue for me. Its the 100% dependency for any functionality. I don't want my local needs impacted by internet connectivity. That is the same for all C4 functional areas.

it's just the way c4 designed it. Why do the work twice when 4sight and internet for most is so reliable. Do you lose internet access a lot? Does 4 sight not work for you?

16 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

it's just the way c4 designed it. Why do the work twice when 4sight and internet for most is so reliable. Do you lose internet access a lot? Does 4 sight not work for you?

I think this is getting combative so I think I'll step away.

My work is resiliency for cloud services. I'm certain C4 could show you statistics on how many of their customers have connectivity issues at any one point in time. With the global nature it's just a fact that customers will be impacted and as far as I know there is no SLA for the service so no service is even guaranteed.

Don't take this to an extreme. It's not like a person is either 100% for C4 mindlessly or they are against C4. I am simply disappointed with the trend to make things entirely cloud based. 

1 hour ago, Pounce said:

Then set up a 3rd-party SIP app with your control4 system like you have been able to do for years.

This is a dumb argument because this functionality has been around for years, and you're only crying about it now when something better comes along. 

The fact is the PRIMARY use case of the intercom app is answering the door when you're not at home. If the primary use case needs internet, designing it to work otherwise is a waste of resources.

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Back to the subject of this thread.  A truly amazing app.  Every C4 user should go out and get it.  I have been amazed today, it just works.  Even the buttons that had been set up on my DS2 mini worked instantly on the intercom app! Love it.

Of course thats assuming we all have intercom capabilities I guess 🤫

I don't have an intercom on C4 so maybe I don't fully understand this app, but here goes anyway...

Does this herald a move towards adding more functionality to the iOS and Android apps that brings them towards feature parity with a dedicated TS?  Isn't this the first time that we are getting audio to the mobile apps?  Given this intercom app, is there any reaso that audio notifications can't also come to the app?  Don't they already go to the Touchscreens?

To be honest it expands your system and gives your T3 more flexibility - We are using the T3 more now then ever - Janet calls me on Phone via

T3 now.

However we did have a issue when the post called today - 4 Bars on the Phone 4G working - Speaking to post man - but nothing from him not a word - Had

full video - Could just have a Boring Postman  

What needs to be done with the communications agent before this will work. Right now I can use the app to view my door station camera but it doesn't ring on my phone if someone hits the bell. And can it be done in Composer HE or just by the dealer?

I've read the chain a few times but didn't find an answer. My apologies if I missed it. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, BostonWala said:

What needs to be done with the communications agent before this will work. Right now I can use the app to view my door station camera but it doesn't ring on my phone if someone hits the bell. And can it be done in Composer HE or just by the dealer?

I've read the chain a few times but didn't find an answer. My apologies if I missed it. Thanks.

You need to add your phone (in the communication agent) to whichever group the DS2 is set up to call.

41 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

You need to add your phone (in the communication agent) to whichever group the DS2 is set up to call.

Thanks, South Africa C4 user. My dealer told me that I could probably work it with the original DS. Guess I'll have to upgrade to DS2 or is ti just the driver that needs upgrading?

3 hours ago, BostonWala said:

Thanks, South Africa C4 user. My dealer told me that I could probably work it with the original DS. Guess I'll have to upgrade to DS2 or is ti just the driver that needs upgrading?

Sorry! I think that is right and you do need a DS2. You could try programming a manual call to the phone (rather than to a group) when the button is pressed. That will probably work (given you can see the door station from the app)... then again, it may not work... if you get it working, let us know...

Finally control4 got door system work as intercom to mobile device.   Connection is really fast, and both audio/video quality are good.  

My first system installed back in 2011, never work and waste me so much $$$ and effort ...thank god it works now. 

19 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Sorry! I think that is right and you do need a DS2. You could try programming a manual call to the phone (rather than to a group) when the button is pressed. That will probably work (given you can see the door station from the app)... then again, it may not work... if you get it working, let us know...

I tried just a one to one connection and it didn't work. My dealer with update drivers on Monday and I'll try it again before changing the hardware to see if it works and post here. Hardware is a week out so I'll get to play with just the new driver for a bit. Thanks for the ideas.

3 hours ago, BostonWala said:

I tried just a one to one connection and it didn't work. My dealer with update drivers on Monday and I'll try it again before changing the hardware to see if it works and post here. Hardware is a week out so I'll get to play with just the new driver for a bit. Thanks for the ideas.

Good luck!

Archived