C4 Forums | Control4

Pakedge RE-2 throttling network?

grant0830

Hello,

We have fiber modem (980Mbps tested direct from modem) into our Pakedge RE-2 connected into two WK-2 and one WK-1-O access points then networks through a pakedge switch to the home. When we test speeds over wireless we only get 30-50 Mbps download (iPhone 7) and 100-110 Mbps upload. Direct Lan connection on iMac produces 200ish Mbps download and 210ish Mbps upload. During Lan test the meter ramps quickly then flatlines at the 200ish Mbps and stays there for reminder of test. 

There is a Cat 6 patch panel that sits between the pakedge switch and some of the LAN connections. 

Any help as to what could be throttling the network would be greatly appreciated!!

13 hours ago, grant0830 said:

Is that speed specific to wifi? It should still pass through 1000 Gbps correct?

The WAN throughput is 300 Mbps, you won’t get anything faster from the internet. If you have a 1 Gbps internet plan, you have to get a new router that supports that speed. 

Also, for clarification, if your network is properly setup, the router has nothing to do with data moving around your local network. So, the RE-2 cannot be slowing down your local network. However, as mentioned, your WAN is limited to 300 Mbps. 

I'm sure you're sick of screen shots but I wouldn't mind seeing one while you're directly connected via lan to the isp modem as well as wirelessly.  I'd also make these screen shots available for Pakedge Tech support.

While this changes nothing for the fact (assuming it's accurate, can't confirm it at this time) that the RE-2's pass-through is lower than your ISP's - I've found lately that ookla speedtest get throttled by some isp if not directed by their own router - or it's gotten unreliable due to other reasons.

Actually a C4 employee pointed me to this one, and it seems more accurate if nothing else: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Just a general pointer really

• 1 month later...
Yes. Pretty close as shown above. LAN directly connected to my iMac are 194 down/ 245 up and WAN standing directly under the Pakedge WK-1 were 165 down/ 230 up......

I think the OP is confused by WAN vs LAN. WAN is your connection to the internet. It is NOT wireless. It is the connection from the ISP into your home (Wide Area Network). LAN is the speed within your home (Local Area Network). LAN can be wired or wireless.

With that cleared up, hopefully everyone is on the same page

So the connection into your home is limited to 300 by the RE2. You will not see better than that wired or wireless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived