C4 Forums | Control4

C4 16 channel matrix amp and T3 screens with Spotify - optimal set up

c4newbs

Hi all.  I have the big 16 channel / 8 zone C4 matrix amp (C4-16AMP3-B) and was hoping to get some advice on optimal set up for sound quality and user experience.  I'm using pretty expensive in-ceiling speakers ($400/pr KEFs) though unfortunately they don't have a back box.  The sound quality is really thin / lacking bass.  Is there any way I can improve the sound?  Can I access any kind of settings to adjust the bass / treble etc?   Also, if I am mostly using Spotify, what's the best way to have the dealer set up the system?  For example, I'd really like to be able to walk into any room and just airplay from my phone to a particular room, without having to interface with 2 or more apps.  I thought the dealer could set up multiple Spotify drivers for each room so that I can just select that particular room driver as the device to which to stream, and this would automatically airplay to that room only.  But my dealer says that won't work because I only have one EA3 and one EA1.  I think he's wrong but grateful if someone would clarify.  (To be clear, my concern is NOT about multiple simultaneous streams but rather a simpler way to stream a Spotify source to a specific room.)  Thank you!

If you use the older flash based interface (old touch screen or PC/Mac computer app) there is a 4store eq app. You can have multiple instances of the spotify driver for each room and you can push from your phone to them easily. Your limitations of simultaneous streams is based on how the EA3 and EA1 are connected but it sounds like what you are asking for is possible as long as you keep total number of streams in mind

In terms of playing back - as long as you set some options then you should be able to AirPlay to any room and the music will come on automatically - this requires an instance of the Shairbridge driver installed for each room.  But Spotify Connect is probably a better idea - but I don't use this as I am still on 2.9.  The problem with Airplay is that your phone has to stay on the LAN.

I just set this up - one Spotify driver for each room, with "Auto Room Select" for the room.  It powers on the room and switches the input to Spotify as soon as you start streaming to the Spotify Connect "zone".

For the AMS matrix, there is a Parametric EQ available through Composer, including HE.  

Shoot me a PM if you need help setting up the Spotify stuff.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

I have 14 different locations that show up whenever I open Airplay, and I can just select whatever room I want it to play in. Also, once it’s playing in a location, you can open up the rooms to see what’s playing where in the house, then select all rooms or just a couple or rooms if you wanted to play the same audio stream in multiple locations at the same time. I haven’t tried this using AirPlay, but I use it with Tidal, Pandora, iHeartradio, local music collection, etc so I’m assuming that Aitplay would work similarly. 

I also have the C4-16AMP3-B, an EA1, an EA3, Triad Silvers Upstairs (which all have enclosures), but my Sonance VP88R In-ceiling speakers, which are installed throughout the house (inside and outside) put out a decent amount of bass. However, in my outdoor kitchen/pool area, I bought a small subwoofer, stuck it in one of the cabinets outside, which made a huge difference to the sound quality outside, but that might be because the ceilings in my outdoor kitchen are 22 feet high, or 8 feet taller than the ceilings inside.

• 2 years later...

Hi there.  Old post, but I'm having the same problem... I have 8" Polk's in my ceiling, and the sound just seems way flat.  I don't have back boxes.  I can turn the volume up to literally just 7 or 8 and it already pretty loud but without any guts.

Where in Controller is the below Output Control options box with the equalizer?  I have looked all over my 2.10.5 HE but cannot find.  The only thing I can find is the C4 Amplifier within my Comms Room, and this has an "Audio Properties" which can adjust Bass and Treble.  Have tried different settings, but just doesn't feel satisfying.

Any tips?

Thanks

On 8/13/2018 at 2:55 PM, livitup said:

I just set this up - one Spotify driver for each room, with "Auto Room Select" for the room.  It powers on the room and switches the input to Spotify as soon as you start streaming to the Spotify Connect "zone".

For the AMS matrix, there is a Parametric EQ available through Composer, including HE.  

Shoot me a PM if you need help setting up the Spotify stuff.

Capture.PNG

Where you have the option of bass/treble you should have the 5 band Parametric EQ settings as well, assuming you have the Matrix Amplifier

But it sounds like your bigger problem may be the speakers themselves or perhaps the ceiling space.

Hmmm... ok.  The speakers (Polk RC80i) get rave reviews everywhere and hence I chose them.  They aren't super expensive but I didn't go for bargain basement.  I think I'll remove one and connect to a different standalone audio source and see how they sound - at least then I know if it's the speaker or C4 or the ceiling void.  I'll keep you posted!

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Well my dealer came over and did it.

Now facing odd issues with some of these:

1. Open Spotify Connect on Phone and pick music and hit little white icon for destination to send it

2. We see 9 locations: Kitchen, my office, etc as we named them those

3. For kitchen and my office, it will play out there for 5 seconds then stop.  In Spotify connect it just shows music is paused and the icon goes green to white again.

4. For other rooms the music persists so we just add kitchen or my office then x out of the room we first wanted (using C4, not Spotify)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.