C4 Forums | Control4

Mitsubishi DLP IR control

burlcash

Any of you that have a Mitsu DLP (or others possibly) may have had the same frustration with the lack of an external IR receptor. I used (with iffy results) the an IR blaster that sat out in front of the TV and blasted the IR signal from the C4. I finally got fed up with the lakc fo consistency and pulled the TV apart to find the IR receptor

The IR receptor is located just above the projection lense and was pretty easy to route the emitter and secure it to the eye. Ah, the releif of always having my TV turn off/on, change inputs, etc. It was very easy (5-10minutes) and pain free - so if you are having the same issue have confidence that there is a better solution.

Dealers often put the IR bug inside the DLP and rear-projection big-screens.

Since some of them expect to get their IR through the front face of the TV, it's difficult to get the signal otherwise.

RyanE

Pioneer Elites are the same.

Good tip for folks!

I have two pioneer elites and would love to remove the IR bud from the front of the TV. The problem is that I cannot find instructions anywhere on how to disasseble the TV. I am usually really comfortable blazing my own trails, but taking apart a 60" TV that costs $5k without any instructions makes me a *little* nervous.

This is why dealers make the "big bucks".

:)

RyanE

My dealer won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Most dealers don't want to void the warranty or be held responsible if something goes wrong in the future. I don't think you would be willing to pay me enough to take on that responsibility.

Exactly. If I could find a write up online with pictures I think I would take a crack at it with one of them, and see how the first one goes before I decide to tackle the second.

Anyone know where such a write up can be obtained? I searched to no avail.

I know there are dealers which will do this, but the ones who have told me they do will only do it on TVs which the homeowner has purchased through them.

Still, it could certainly be a risky proposition if you haven't done it before.

RyanE

I know there are dealers which will do this, but the ones who have told me they do will only do it on TVs which the homeowner has purchased through them.

RyanE

Ryan is correct in this statement. We will not touch any customer provided TV's in this manner. We don't need to be responsible if your $2500 TV craps the bed and won't be fixed under warranty because we put an emitter inside.

Now if we provided it, then sky's the limit.

The easiest way to do this is to lay a furniture blanket out on a table. Place the TV face down on the blanket. Unscrew every little screw that holds the back and front together. Lightly apply pressure on the sides to pull the back off. Find your IR sensor on the TV and place an emitter there. Wire the emitter out of any available opening to the back of the TV. Place the backing back on. Put the screws in and your done. Shouldn't take no more than 20 minutes.

Agreed, this is one of the benefits of getting your gear through a custom installer rather than a big box. If we provide it, we'll warranty any "mods" to the TV. We've done the IR bug on alot of DLP's and some plasma's where either it just didn't look right with the bug up front or upon customer request.

I don't think this procedure voids ANY warranties... bought from us or not. All you're doing is pulling the face to place an emitter. As long as you don't drill any holes, this can be UN-DONE if the tv needs to be shipped back to the manufacturer.

They are just phillips head screws (may be a bunch of em, but still).

I don't think this procedure voids ANY warranties... bought from us or not. All you're doing is pulling the face to place an emitter. As long as you don't drill any holes, this can be UN-DONE if the tv needs to be shipped back to the manufacturer.

They are just phillips head screws (may be a bunch of em, but still).

Typically opening the case by a non-authorized service center during the warranty period can void the warranty. If you read the fine print of your warranty you will probably find verbiage that states that any "product alterations; modification; improper or unauthorized repair; blah, blah blah" is a violation and can void the warranty.

I am usually not willing to test the legalize of the warranty for a TV that cost thousands of dollars.

Understand your point. But really... how would anyone ever know? (unless you jack up the screws like an idiot)

Edit:

I opened a 42" Toshiba that ended up dieing after 6 months, they had no problem replacing it. I doubt they pay that much attention to small details.

Archived