C4 Forums | Control4

Samba 2 is required!

Can you run a dlna server on free Nas?

Argh... as of last release of FreeNAS where my music library is, they deprecated Samba1 for obvious reasons of it being old, buggy, and a total security nightmare.
Since then C4 cannot access my library as I was told C4 uses Samba1.
Any word on why C4 would stick with that and not be on 2 or 3?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks msgreenf..

Tried 2 ways:

1. MiniDLNA in it's own jail had middling results as testing with a Windows 10 Media Player, the DLNA agent would frequently stop and required restarting the service on FreeNAS.  There's a lot of issues on FreeNAS forums about miniDLNA so it's not right for current release 11u6 right now.

2. Plex DLNA seems robust enough and is turned on and available.

Now my dealers seem to flake off so much in support as they are always looking for new business which I know pays the most.  This is one reason why I don't like the dealer model for C4.  I cannot get the DLNA service on my own and need a dealer to enable it.

I don't have a version of FreeNAS running at the moment but as I recall it supports auxiliary parameters.  You should be able to add one of these to the parameters and re-enable SMB v1 since it is deprecated from a default settings but support should still be in the samba binary.

server min protocol = NT1

min protocol = NT1

I do agree that C4 only supporting SMB v1/CIFS only (that I'm aware of) and DLNA only doesn't make sense.  In 2.10.13 the version of samba is only 3.0.17.  Initial support for SMB2 was added in samba 3.6 and SMB2.1 was in samba 4.  That said, not sure newer versions of samba can be built against the kernel currently being used which might be why they haven't done it yet.

With the recent depreciation of older controllers, my hope is that the are going to do a major plumbing update (e.g., kernel) to support newer features and security features.  I'm curious what the iOS integration is going to look like and it may be that something like a 3rd party integration may finally force the issue.  We are also pretty long in the tooth on the version 2 version so maybe they have a version 3.0 somewhere in development.  Then again C4 takes a long time before going with a new version update, for example version 1.3/1.4 which ran the older zigbee protocol when upgraded to zigbee pro didn't result in version 2.0, instead we got 1.5/1.6 (don't remember which it happened in).  

The long and short is they have a dealer network, legacy equipment, and they have to make business decisions that are going to upset one group or another and it isn't easy on the product side for them to make decisions on moving forward while depreciating people who have made investments already.  Do I think they move a little slow on the plumbing side, yes, but is it likely there are some technical/chipset limitations, etc that might influence things, probably.

FreeNAS does have aux parameters but with 11U6 deprecating SMB1 you cannot force that any longer.  SMB2 is the lowest forced version now.

A quick look at wiki.samba.org shows:

Current stable: 4.8.5

Maintenance mode: 4.7.10

Security fixes only: 4.6.16

Hence there's a chasm-wide difference between C4 and Samba and I also hope that C is busy writing kernel updates as 2.10.13 isn't even sniffing at a supported Samba version.  The good news is they hired Charlie Kindel who seems to be a proponent of 3rd party integrations, so let's see.

My dealer is curiously non-responsive unless it's about major work at my house like an extension which needs wiring, speakers, switches, and incurs low voltage costs from them.  I get it: there's no money in it for them to do remote anything but that's the world C4 built.

Archived