C4 Forums | Control4

Luma IP Cameras/NVR PSA

nevets23

Quick PSA for those who have and/or are purchasing Luma cameras/NVRs. Absolutely great cameras/NVRs. however, as of this moment, you are not able to access the backend settings of the cameras/NVR through the web on a mac if you're running the latest operating system. In order to access through the web on a mac, there is a plugin you need to download for safari. Unfortunately, it appears the plugin has not been updated for Mojave, and thus is not registering properly. Hopefully it will be addressed soon. I am going to alert them to the issue today.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 10:31 AM, nevets23 said:

Quick PSA for those who have and/or are purchasing Luma cameras/NVRs. Absolutely great cameras/NVRs. however, as of this moment, you are not able to access the backend settings of the cameras/NVR through the web on a mac if you're running the latest operating system. In order to access through the web on a mac, there is a plugin you need to download for safari. Unfortunately, it appears the plugin has not been updated for Mojave, and thus is not registering properly. Hopefully it will be addressed soon. I am going to alert them to the issue today.

This is a negative for sure.  I am curious to know your thoughts overall on these IP camera's.  I have (4 year old)wirepath camera's today and have never been happy with video quality.  I am moving into a new home and need to make a decision on camera's and want to get it right this time.  Curious to know what would be your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice for a camera system should you have it to do all over again.  Thanks for any feedback you can provide. 

17 hours ago, Winn said:

This is a negative for sure.  I am curious to know your thoughts overall on these IP camera's.  I have (4 year old)wirepath camera's today and have never been happy with video quality.  I am moving into a new home and need to make a decision on camera's and want to get it right this time.  Curious to know what would be your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice for a camera system should you have it to do all over again.  Thanks for any feedback you can provide. 

The Luma cameras are rock solid. There has been a lot of advancements in the technology since your wire path system was installed. I can tell you from personal experience that Luma 700 bullets provide outstanding resolution. The 700s and the 500s are 4mp cameras. The 300 series is 2mp, so not quite as good, but not a huge difference, and the quality is still excellent. When you pair these cameras with the new NVR 510, which has a 4k hdmi output, you can run the cameras into a video matrix for 4k distribution of the cameras throughout a system. When you couple the quality of the cameras, with the motion/notification settings and other options on the Luma NVRs, I'm not sure you will find a more versatile and stable security system around. In my personal opinion, you can't go wrong with the Luma system. I have never had a camera go out since I installed them.

Also, SnapAV sent out a notice very soon after my original post about the plugin issue saying that they were aware of it, and would have a fix out within the next couple weeks. I think a lot of companies were blind sided by Apple basically eliminating plugins....one of the apple tech support guys I spoke to about the issue didn't even know they had essentially discontinued them in Mojave. The camera system isn't affected at all by this issue anyway. It only matters if you are trying to tweak technical settings and motion alerts, and don't have access to internet explorer on a pc. If you have a mac, and run parallels on Mojave, you can still access the backend of the system without a problem. The Luma plugin still works on all prior Mac OS, since they all support plugins.

Hope this helps answer your questions!

The Luma cameras are rock solid. There has been a lot of advancements in the technology since your wire path system was installed. I can tell you from personal experience that Luma 700 bullets provide outstanding resolution. The 700s and the 500s are 4mp cameras. The 300 series is 2mp, so not quite as good, but not a huge difference, and the quality is still excellent. When you pair these cameras with the new NVR 510, which has a 4k hdmi output, you can run the cameras into a video matrix for 4k distribution of the cameras throughout a system. When you couple the quality of the cameras, with the motion/notification settings and other options on the Luma NVRs, I'm not sure you will find a more versatile and stable security system around. In my personal opinion, you can't go wrong with the Luma system. I have never had a camera go out since I installed them.
Also, SnapAV sent out a notice very soon after my original post about the plugin issue saying that they were aware of it, and would have a fix out within the next couple weeks. I think a lot of companies were blind sided by Apple basically eliminating plugins....one of the apple tech support guys I spoke to about the issue didn't even know they had essentially discontinued them in Mojave. The camera system isn't affected at all by this issue anyway. It only matters if you are trying to tweak technical settings and motion alerts, and don't have access to internet explorer on a pc. If you have a mac, and run parallels on Mojave, you can still access the backend of the system without a problem. The Luma plugin still works on all prior Mac OS, since they all support plugins.
Mojave beta was out for 4 months. No excuse not to be ready

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Sent from my BBF100-2 using

Lol, they weren’t the only ones who didn’t realize the plugins were being eliminated and they acknowledged the issue and are fixing it.

Again, apple’s own tech support guys didn’t even know about the plugins being eliminated, so I think you’re being a little harsh in this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Lol, they weren’t the only ones who didn’t realize the plugins were being eliminated and they acknowledged the issue and are fixing it.

Again, apple’s own tech support guys didn’t even know about the plugins being eliminated, so I think you’re being a little harsh in this situation.

8 hours ago, nevets23 said:

no, i'm not.  That is the whole purpose of betas.  To test stuff.  Clearly they didn't.  

• 5 weeks later...

A standalone desktop app would be awesome!

I hate telling customers they HAVE to use internet explorer. 9/10 I get a call saying the cameras won't work and it almost always because they are using chrome or firefox or even edge.

Atleast there is a Safari plugin that works well, just wish we had a better option for windows PCs other than Internet Explorer

3 hours ago, BraydonH said:

A standalone desktop app would be awesome!

I hate telling customers they HAVE to use internet explorer. 9/10 I get a call saying the cameras won't work and it almost always because they are using chrome or firefox or even edge.

Atleast there is a Safari plugin that works well, just wish we had a better option for windows PCs other than Internet Explorer

Yes, I agree a desktop app will be nice. On a side note, the safari plugin doesn't work on Mojave. It works on all previous versions of the macOS though.

I've found the LUMA Web Components plug-in works on Firefox 51.0.1 (32-bit). Newer 32 or 64-bit versions haven't recognized the plug-in on my Windows machine. I run both the older 32-bit and newer 64-bit versions with separate user profiles. I access the LUMA front-end with the older version.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 5:31 PM, johnpg said:

Thanks for the update. 

On 10/27/2018 at 3:54 PM, nevets23 said:

How do you think the luma cameras perform in low light settings?  SnapAV touts the starlight capabilities on the Visualant cameras and I am curious to get your thoughts on how the Luma bullet 700's and 500's compare to the starlight capabilities for night time and low light scenarios. 

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.