C4 Forums | Control4

Luma IP Cameras/NVR PSA

nevets23

Any updates on making the Safari plugin work on Mac Mojave?  I just got the Luma NVR and disappointed I cannot manage it via Safari on a Mac...ugh.

Doing this through a Windows virtual machine is going to be a joke.

Are there any other options???

The PDF in the reply two or three above has a link to a .pkg file that contains a native Mac app to manage Luma NVRs. Its interface is a little different than the old Safari plug in, so it takes a bit of adjustment and getting used to, but once you do it’s pretty good.

• 4 weeks later...

My NVR and cameras only allow me to view video and not download since the browsers stopped supporting plugins (technically they stopped support Flash right?).  I have been very frustrated with customer support and there has been no reasonable solution offered yet from what I can tell.  I tried downloading the VMS software mentioned above and it is terrible and unintuitive.  I can't get it to recognize my nvr nor the cameras.  I am pissed and would not buy HIK, SnapAV, Luma, whatever the hell name they are hiding behind.

• 4 months later...

With MacOS Catalina Luma VMS for Mac is no longer supported as it's a 32-bit app. According to the Luma PDF they are working on a 64-bit version. Does anyone know when this will be available? The entire experience of using the Luma cameras on a Mac has been terrible ever since the web interface stopped working, and now we don't even have the app. I wish they would consider porting the iPad app to MacOS using Catalyst.  

• 4 months later...

Ok folks.   Legacy LUMA owner here.   Their app no longer works with Android.  Are you aware of any other third party apps or ways to access the cameras and DVR.   Or should I just look to replace?   

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:44 PM, mastor said:

My NVR and cameras only allow me to view video and not download since the browsers stopped supporting plugins (technically they stopped support Flash right?).  I have been very frustrated with customer support and there has been no reasonable solution offered yet from what I can tell.  I tried downloading the VMS software mentioned above and it is terrible and unintuitive.  I can't get it to recognize my nvr nor the cameras.  I am pissed and would not buy HIK, SnapAV, Luma, whatever the hell name they are hiding behind.

you are not able to login into the web gui thru a web browser? I do this with all oem hik systems. open internet explorer- type nvr ip address into the address bar ie http://192.168.10.50.

4 hours ago, Ttam said:

Ok folks.   Legacy LUMA owner here.   Their app no longer works with Android.  Are you aware of any other third party apps or ways to access the cameras and DVR.   Or should I just look to replace?   

I have all different oem hik cameras and nvrs'. I currently use a northern video nvr(OEM HIK) and view it thru the hikconnect app.. my nvr is configed as the northern video p2p, but work just fine in the hik app

2020-03-10 06_40_18-Configuration - Internet Explorer.png

Edited by c4toys

• 4 months later...
On 3/10/2020 at 4:37 AM, c4toys said:

you are not able to login into the web gui thru a web browser? I do this with all oem hik systems. open internet explorer- type nvr ip address into the address bar ie http://192.168.10.50.

That is correct.  When I go to the Luma ip address, after typing in name and password, I get a popup that says "No plug-in detected. Please install the plug-in".  There is no real solution for using newer browsers from what I can tell, it is either the lack of Flash or NPAPI support.

My only workaround is to run an older version of explorer, on an old windows laptop, and also run in administrator mode.  I can't do anything from my Apple laptop nor desktop machines.

Interesting, so you switched from the web interface to the standalone app?  I may have look at that VMS again.  I think I tried that at one point but could not get it to add my NVR or something.  My first impression of the VMS software was it was unwieldy an counter-intuitive but maybe it has improved.

On 7/31/2020 at 1:56 PM, mastor said:

Interesting, so you switched from the web interface to the standalone app?  I may have look at that VMS again.  I think I tried that at one point but could not get it to add my NVR or something.  My first impression of the VMS software was it was unwieldy an counter-intuitive but maybe it has improved.

Yes, for changing the NVR configuration, drawing zones, etc.  I still have a LUMA app on my iPhone and iPad for just viewing the cameras and playing back remotely or I can go through c4 app for live view-only. The iOS app is version 4.6.0 build 20190814. 

• 4 months later...

My 2 cents on my Luma system as of late.... For the second time in 4 months my system is suddenly not sending ANY email/text alerts.  I haven't changed anything and can successfully send test emails/texts but no actual triggered alerts come through.  It's recording events but nothing is working.  I sent an email to customers@control4.com as that's the only point of contact I could find.  Not very good or easy technical support considering the cost of the 710 cameras I'm using.

20 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

My 2 cents on my Luma system as of late.... For the second time in 4 months my system is suddenly not sending ANY email/text alerts.  I haven't changed anything and can successfully send test emails/texts but no actual triggered alerts come through.  It's recording events but nothing is working.  I sent an email to customers@control4.com as that's the only point of contact I could find.  Not very good or easy technical support considering the cost of the 710 cameras I'm using.

Agreed, they are overpriced junk.

58 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

Agreed, they are overpriced junk.

So does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative professional solution that works on the Mac, has great Control4 integration, is a true NVR and not cloud-based and can be displayed and controlled on a TV via HDMI? I didn't pay that much for my Luma system compared to everything else in my house, so I'd be willing to replace it to get something meaningfully better. But typically the only alternatives I see are Hikvision, which is basically what I already have since Luma is a Hik re-brand. 

Incidentally, I have an M1 MacBook and can now run the Luma iPad app on MacOS. This is better than not having any access, but it's still pretty terrible. The Luma app on iOS is pretty decent for quickly viewing the cameras, but not very good at all when looking at recordings. I feel like so much of this is basic table stakes for a security camera system, and nobody can seem to get it right. 

Pretty sure there is a paid driver for Unifi Protect - that will get all the cams and notifications into C4.  The NVR software itself is quite good.  One issue is that it's a closed system requiring purchase of their cameras, which are not cheap, and then you're locked in.

13 hours ago, johnpg said:

So does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative professional solution that works on the Mac, has great Control4 integration, is a true NVR and not cloud-based and can be displayed and controlled on a TV via HDMI? I didn't pay that much for my Luma system compared to everything else in my house, so I'd be willing to replace it to get something meaningfully better. But typically the only alternatives I see are Hikvision, which is basically what I already have since Luma is a Hik re-brand. 

1 hour ago, wnpublic said:

Pretty sure there is a paid driver for Unifi Protect - that will get all the cams and notifications into C4.  The NVR software itself is quite good.  One issue is that it's a closed system requiring purchase of their cameras, which are not cheap, and then you're locked in.

Lilin... just pray your NVR doesnt fail. Also no options for integrated POE switches so theres no plug-and-play camera isolation. 

Ubiquity cams are unfortunately overpriced for their performance. 

19 hours ago, drmark12pa said:

If you had a dealer do this for you they can support it. End users can't get direct support. Snap will login and fix your issues for you in 15 minutes. They have very good support and have helped me more then once on the Luma NVR/Cams. And I have several Luma systems and if they are setup correctly, they work great. I have no issues anywhere. And I dont think that is even a correct Control4 email your trying.

17 hours ago, wnpublic said:

Agree on the camera price- but the overall package including the software features in the NVR - pretty slick 

Yep. I think I sell more box that say "Ubiquity" on the side than any AV brand and I just cant get away from LUMA. The OvrC and standard baller support Snap offers makes it hard to beat for me..even tho it pains me being HiK rebranded and busy/dated app/web interfaces. I would like to use UDM pros and make a combo package which I still might try next year, but I usually use Edge for my routing and L3 hub switching.

On 12/5/2020 at 5:06 PM, JSTRONG said:

If you had a dealer do this for you they can support it. End users can't get direct support. Snap will login and fix your issues for you in 15 minutes. They have very good support and have helped me more then once on the Luma NVR/Cams. And I have several Luma systems and if they are setup correctly, they work great. I have no issues anywhere. And I dont think that is even a correct Control4 email your trying.

It was correct email as they responded but basically said check with your dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

There has to be something better out there.  I am also stuck with Luma cameras.  The interface sucks, and now more than ever I am wishing that I had 2-way audio on several of my cameras.   Seems crazy that consumer-grade systems all have 2-way audio while professional-grade systems are lucky if you can plug a microphone in after the fact.

The pro-grade interfaces are horrific.  I notice this more and more as I compare trying to find a recording off of my Ring Elite doorbell versus trying to find something on my Luma.  And good luck getting a recording off of Luma via your phone.  Perhaps the worst system I have ever encountered.  Save it within the app (what?), and then try to forward it only to be told it is in a proprietary format that may not play on other devices (and certainly not directly on your phone) - (what?!)...

And more and more I yearn for 2-way audio.  My crappy Amazon Cloud Cameras in the garage do this no problem and are great for 2-way audio.  Ring is also pretty good (though we are all still dogged by the delays).   Meanwhile my 4k cameras are deaf, dumb, and mute.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.