C4 Forums | Control4

DS2 Mini Mounting Options on steel siding

dw886

Mounting a DS2 mini to replace an existing doorbell on seamless steel siding with a double 4" profile in a covered entryway, and have a few questions:

- When ordering a DS2 mini (C4-DS2MINI-BN), does it come setup for Flush Mounting or Surface Mounting?

- Assuming I need to cut the siding, and get the box for the DS2 mini flush with the side of the house vs mounting it on top of the siding, as the siding profile likely isn't even big enough for the latter option while keeping the entire DS2 mini against the siding.  That being said, am I better off using the flush mounting or surface mounting option?  The siding protrudes about 0.5" from the house. 
     OPTION A -  If I do a surface mount box and cut the siding, I'm going to have to J-channel the siding to trim it out nicely. 
     OPTION B -  If I flush-mount (to the true sense of the word, cutting a hole in the wood OSB, recessing the DS2 box into the wall), then the DS2 is going to sit too low relative to the siding. 
     OPTION C -  If I flush-mount against the wood OSB, the flush-mount trim will likely cover the siding cuts, but the DS2 is going to protrude a little beyond the siding...

Archived