C4 Forums | Control4

Google Home Support / OR LACK THEREOF

bkrause

I have been a long term Control 4 user (first installation in 2006).  I have spent well over $50k on Control4 equipment and installations (so I am heavily invested).   I have really enjoyed the benefits, suffered through being on the bleeding edge and taken the wrath from my spouse with her frustrations on the system (when it did not work as anticipated).   However,  I am now reaching a crossroads.  I am very disappointed the direction of  Control4.  I do not understand the complete silence from Control 4 on the Google Home platform and the support of the Amazon platform.   I suspect some of it is the recent Amazon hire, however, I believe this is not in the best interest of Control4 to completely abandon support for one of the largest tech companies on the planet.   Google Home is quickly becoming very powerful in the smart home arena and the Google Home Platform is taking market share from Amazon.   

With the lack of support for a platform that I find very beneficial, I am starting to research eliminating C4 from my life.   I would rather not "throw-away" the C4 investment, however, without some view that C4 will actually become more market orientated, (rather than dealer/installer orientated) I believe I must.     I do not expect C4 to respond (THAT WOULD BE A REFRESHING CHANGE IN BEHAVIOR),  This is just to vent my frustrations to see if anybody else shares them.

PS, I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT GOOGLE IS THE IMPEDIMENT.

Extremely disappointed and frustrated

bkrause

12 minutes ago, bkrause said:

I have been a long term Control 4 user (first installation in 2006).  I have spent well over $50k on Control4 equipment and installations (so I am heavily invested).   I have really enjoyed the benefits, suffered through being on the bleeding edge and taken the wrath from my spouse with her frustrations on the system (when it did not work as anticipated).   However,  I am now reaching a crossroads.  I am very disappointed the direction of  Control4.  I do not understand the complete silence from Control 4 on the Google Home platform and the support of the Amazon platform.   I suspect some of it is the recent Amazon hire, however, I believe this is not in the best interest of Control4 to completely abandon support for one of the largest tech companies on the planet.   Google Home is quickly becoming very powerful in the smart home arena and the Google Home Platform is taking market share from Amazon.   

With the lack of support for a platform that I find very beneficial, I am starting to research eliminating C4 from my life.   I would rather not "throw-away" the C4 investment, however, without some view that C4 will actually become more market orientated, (rather than dealer/installer orientated) I believe I must.     I do not expect C4 to respond (THAT WOULD BE A REFRESHING CHANGE IN BEHAVIOR),  This is just to vent my frustrations to see if anybody else shares them.

PS, I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT GOOGLE IS THE IMPEDIMENT.

Extremely disappointed and frustrated

bkrause

I don't know much, but I'm about to dive into a project with hopes that I can get everything working with Google Assistant.  I'm an Android user, and I use the Google Assistant for many other things in my day except for controlling my small Control4 setup.  I've read several threads on this site and it sounds like it's very possible to get the Google integration to work with a third party driver that's around $90.  I'm hoping to have the project working by this weekend if I can get some of my wiring questions answered and I'd be happy to let you know how it went.

If @msgreenf says it's possible, I'd take that and run with it.  You might even be able to hire him to program it for you.

Best of luck!

@msgreenf

Explain with facts and proof, without those I remain unconvinced.   Unless C4 is making unreasonable demands, it is in Google's best interest and past practice to become as ubiquitous as possible.   I would think that would help C4 as well.

Edited by bkrause
address reply

@burowyako,

I have google home using the IFTTT connections.  It is ok, but a huge pain to program all functionality that an integration should make easier.   Additionally, the connections between the three systems are not always reliable and laggy.   It works,  but half assed.

@lippavisual,

I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER OR DEVELOPER,  However, after a 5 sec google search for google API, I found the following website.   This does not appear to be a closed API to me.  https://developers.google.com/actions/smarthome/     Meanwhile, a google search for Control4 API yields a list of 3rd party sites and this forum,  Nothing from the company.   I am still very skeptical that Google is the issue. 

35 minutes ago, bkrause said:

@msgreenf

Explain with facts and proof, without those I remain unconvinced.   Unless C4 is making unreasonable demands, it is in Google's best interest and past practice to become as ubiquitous as possible.   I would think that would help C4 as well.

I can't but I can say that you are assuming you wrong

10 minutes ago, bkrause said:

@lippavisual,

I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER OR DEVELOPER,  However, after a 5 sec google search for google API, I found the following website.   This does not appear to be a closed API to me.  https://developers.google.com/actions/smarthome/     Meanwhile, a google search for Control4 API yields a list of 3rd party sites and this forum,  Nothing from the company.   I am still very skeptical that Google is the issue. 

it's not about APIs. they are there...

No proof and no comment from the company that hired an former Amazon employee to head up this area.  Nothing other than rumor and innuendo, which is what a lot of companies at least allow to perpetuate do to deflect their own shortcomings.

Not mad or frustrated with commentators, only pointing out that the C4 customer base is in the dark as to why or even if C4 wants the inter-connectivity.   

BTW, if C4 publicly would state that it will not support google in the future because they are only going to focus on Amazon.   While I would be disappointed, I would at least respect the company for making a choice and then the customer base could decide on their own how to proceed.

21 minutes ago, bkrause said:

No proof and no comment from the company that hired an former Amazon employee to head up this area.  Nothing other than rumor and innuendo, which is what a lot of companies at least allow to perpetuate do to deflect their own shortcomings.

Not mad or frustrated with commentators, only pointing out that the C4 customer base is in the dark as to why or even if C4 wants the inter-connectivity.   

BTW, if C4 publicly would state that it will not support google in the future because they are only going to focus on Amazon.   While I would be disappointed, I would at least respect the company for making a choice and then the customer base could decide on their own how to proceed.

C4 may have hired someone from Amazon - but they were also in the press release for integration with Apple.  And that was at an Apple event.  Not sure C4 is playing favorites.  100% speculation.  But my guess is C4 will try to get involved in any platform - its the best option for their survival.  Their entire sales pitch is joining multiple platforms - why would they purposely ignore Android?  

1 hour ago, bkrause said:

@burowyako,

I have google home using the IFTTT connections.  It is ok, but a huge pain to program all functionality that an integration should make easier.   Additionally, the connections between the three systems are not always reliable and laggy.   It works,  but half assed.

Since I'm about to try and get my home up and running with Google Assistant, I'm curious what issues you've had.  How are you trying to use Google Assistant with Control4 today, and what does/doesn't work?

42 minutes ago, burowyako said:

Since I'm about to try and get my home up and running with Google Assistant, I'm curious what issues you've had.  How are you trying to use Google Assistant with Control4 today, and what does/doesn't work?

I have about a hundred or so applets on IFTTT, have not experienced any laginess in response to voice commands. But the amount of time it takes to set it up on IFTTT and in composer takes quite a bit longer. The phrasing is more forgiving in my opinion because you can have two alternative phrases and the text and number ingredient feature is nice. I am happy with the end result but if you really want a lot of features you're going to spend sometime sitting in front of the computer on composer HE

I have both Google Home and Alexa

Alexa's C4 support while not "perfect" is easy and usable.

C4's Google support however...  Well is Non-Existent.

Chowmain's IFTTT workaround is too time consuming to be called a "solution"

I'm also disappointed. Not pointing any fingers. What I'm saying is that when a business' (C4) business is integration and as MAJOR as Google Home. Things NEED to get DONE.  Excuses does not work I do not CARE to UNDERSTAND who is playing or not playing hardball.  

With the length of time that there have been no solutions. It is UNACCEPTABLE

Note: Google - Android - Closed is usually not used in the same sentence. Again I'm not saying it is open or easy. Just saying that historically Google  has been OPEN to integration

You can all ask as many questions as you want and get as mad as you want. You’ll find out about google home integration when c4 releases it. 

They DO NOT disclose future product information to end users or dealers. Anyone who is privileged enough to be in the know has signed a NDA. 

Same as it ever was. 

You all sound like Veruca Salt

Serious question:

What control and automation system like Control4 does integrate with Google Home/Assistant today?

Note the bold text.  Smartthings, Wink, etc. are not control and automation systems like Control4.

I'm not aware of any, which if true, means there's something more fundamental that's preventing this from happening.  If it was possible, then C4, Crestron, RTI, Savant, or someone would have done it by now.

Get mad at C4 all you want, but I think it's pretty useless to get mad at a company for failing to do the impossible.

2 hours ago, livitup said:

Serious question:

What control and automation system like Control4 does integrate with Google Home/Assistant today?

Note the bold text.  Smartthings, Wink, etc. are not control and automation systems like Control4.

I'm not aware of any, which if true, means there's something more fundamental that's preventing this from happening.  If it was possible, then C4, Crestron, RTI, Savant, or someone would have done it by now.

Get mad at C4 all you want, but I think it's pretty useless to get mad at a company for failing to do the impossible.

Savant and Crestron work with Google Home actually...not sure where you're getting your information from but just look in the Google Home app and try to add a device and you'll see a list of about 100 companies that integrate.

And for what it's worth- Google had nothing to do with our (Epic Systems) Google Home driver ceasing to function...had only to do with the way Philips Hue's authentication works...since we were leveraging the Hue APIs to communicate with the Google Home.

11 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

Savant and Crestron work with Google Home actually...not sure where you're getting your information from but just look in the Google Home app and try to add a device and you'll see a list of about 100 companies that integrate.

And for what it's worth- Google had nothing to do with our (Epic Systems) Google Home driver ceasing to function...had only to do with the way Philips Hue's authentication works...since we were leveraging the Hue APIs to communicate with the Google Home.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest I had any knowledge one way or the other.  I should have started the "I'm not aware of any" sentence with the qualifier that I have done absolutely no research.  I know next to nothing about any system other than C4, and I don't spend much time researching them.  I don't have Google or Android hardware, so I wouldn't know from that angle either.

It's interesting information that Savant and Crestron work with Google Home.  That proves it's not impossible for a control and automation system to work with Google Home, and it justifies some of the displeasure with C4 for not having that feature.

TO ANYBODY BLAMING GOOGLE FOR LACK OF CONNECTIVITY..............

Google Assistant works with over 10,000 smart home devices from more than 1000+ popular brands
That is nearly 10 times more devices than it did at the start of this year.

There are more than 200 million devices in people’s homes, made up of over 10,000 smart devices from over 1,000 brands—including +Nest, +LG Electronics,
+ADT, August, +SimpliSafe Home Security, Vivnt and +VIZIO—that work with the Google Assistant.

At the start of the year, Google boasted compatibility with 1,500 devices. By May, the number was up to 5,000 devices with Google Assistant either built-in or integrated through app or platform support. Doubling again to 10,000 in early October demonstrates strong growth among third-party manufactures committing to the platform. This is notable in part because it shows that the number of smart home devices supported by Google Assistant has grown nearly 10 fold in just nine months.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.