C4 Forums | Control4

Apple TV 4K to old Denon AVR (non-4K) and non-4K TV

pinkoos

We have a 5.1 setup in the room where our C4 rack is.  The TV is non-4K.  Apple TV is 4K.  The AVR is an old Denon AVR-2311CI.  We our in the process of upgrading our C4 system (other threads about this ongoing process can be found).

Anyway, I believe the way our new dealer made the connections is the Apple TV 4K to the Denon and then the Denon to the TV (he used a balun on the TV for some reason, I'm not sure why).  We've pulled the matrix out of the project. I just wanted to give this background prior to my question:

Why is the center channel dialog so low?  With the receiver set for surround, the center channel was low for everything so he changed it to multichannel - what that did was make the center channel sound fine for TV (we are in the process of cutting the cord and so have subscribed to YouTube TV), but it's still low for Apple TV (ie, iTunes) movies, trailers, etc.  I need to check if Netflix is the same, but haven't done so yet.  He tuned the receiver using the microphone, etc so I don't think it's a calibration issue.

He thinks it has to do with any content that is listed in iTunes as Dolby Vision or something like that.  For example, we played the trailers for new movies and the center channel was very soft.  Even if we turned the volume way up, the center channel was still low compared to the others.  We then played a trailer for an old movie where there is nothing in the movie listing about Dolby Vision, etc. (the trailer was for Apollo 13 from 1995).  That sounded fine.

So, he said the options were to either change the sound output in the Apple TV menu from "Auto" or "Best" (can't remember the options) to just "stereo" when playing a newer movie or, at some point, upgrade the receiver and TV to 4K.  He's not trying to push anything on me or make a hard sell, but just wanted to let me know what's going on.

Changing settings would be difficult for my wife or kids to do each time they want to watch a movie, so that's not a realistic or practical option.

Is there an option for the receiver to detect when watching certain content and make some changes on it's own within the receiver itself (rather than within the Apple TV)?

Does all this sound right or am I/he missing something here?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, pinkoos said:

He thinks it has to do with any content that is listed in iTunes as Dolby Vision or something like that.  For example, we played the trailers for new movies and the center channel was very soft.  Even if we turned the volume way up, the center channel was still low compared to the others.  We then played a trailer for an old movie where there is nothing in the movie listing about Dolby Vision, etc. (the trailer was for Apollo 13 from 1995).  That sounded fine.

He's probably right. Somewhat. Dolby Vision is an HDR alternative, has nothing to do with sound. I would check the audio settings for the ATV because there should be a dolby digital 5.1 option as well.

Had tested it earlier - Auto or best puts it at dolby digital 5.1.  The option is to turn off "auto" or "best" to reveal the other choices of which there is only one:  stereo.

If I set the Apple TV to stereo then all the audio works great (ie, dialog is clear, etc) but, of course, it's not surround or even multi channel stereo.

I'll see if I can get him to do that and see if it works/helps.

I'm a bit confused how the receiver works - do we manually set what kind of audio output we want or does it detect what kind of audio the source is outputting or can output and change it's settings accordingly?

I'm inclined to have my installer change the default setting to output as 5.1 surround (as opposed to multi channel stereo) and then make the adjustment in the Apple TV settings if the sound isn't being outputted correctly.

If I remember correctly, when the connections were first made and I started testing the sound, I believe the receiver would switch (making that click noise) when I switched to a “movie” source, such as Movies within AppleTV, Netflix within AppleTV, trailers within AppleTV, etc.  And, then when I would just go back to the AppleTV homescreen, I would hear the click again, as if the receiver was picking a different sound output option at that time. Is it possible for the receiver to do the same now, keeping multichannel audio for YouTube TV but then switching to whatever mode would get rid of the center channel problem within any “movie” or “tv” applications (ie, Movies, Netflix, Trailers, etc.)?

Archived