C4 Forums | Control4

iOS App Crashing

9 minutes ago, jimbones said:

I’m also experiencing this issue. iOS app crashes after viewing the camera feeds. All our cameras, regardless of settings, and any iOS device, iPhones and iPads.

Using Unifi cameras, last version of camera firmware, unifi network app, c4 iOS app, and iOS. Been happening for a few months now. Incredibly frustrating.

C4 says it’s a driver problem. @Cinegration says it’s a C4 problem. Now that I see others are having the issue with different cameras, I’m leaning towards this being a C4 app issue.

please encourage your integrators to keep pushing with C4 to troubleshoot the issue.

To be clear... A driver only specifies the URL to view the RTSP stream.

Example: rtsp://192.168.1.50:554/stream1

How it is decoded and shown on devices is entirely up to Navigator and the video package they are using.  

https://control4.github.io/docs-driverworks-proxyprotocol/#camera-protocol-notifications

3 hours ago, Cinegration said:

To be clear... A driver only specifies the URL to view the RTSP stream.

Example: rtsp://192.168.1.50:554/stream1

How it is decoded and shown on devices is entirely up to Navigator and the video package they are using.  

https://control4.github.io/docs-driverworks-proxyprotocol/#camera-protocol-notifications

This actually makes sense. Because I saw this issue come and go with different C4 releases.

• 2 weeks later...

@msgreenf Thanks for bringing me into the conversation. I just chatted with the iOS team about this and these crashes are being caused by a crash in the media framework library that is used with the Control4 OS 3 app, we have an escalated ticket submitted to the library developer to address the issue and will release an updated iOS app with a fix as soon as it becomes available. 

iOS 321.50.0 (I think it was this release although it could conceivably have been the previous release) fixed (90%) a long standing issue that I have had with cameras connected via one of my Lilin DVRs but created a new issue… hopefully @Darin, C4 PM UI this could be easy to fix?

The problem that I had for a couple of years was that cameras on this DVR worked on T3s and T4s properly.  But on the iOS app the snapshot view (all cameras on one page) worked perfectly but when choosing the camera it would show a snapshot (not a live feed) and the snapshot would update every 10 seconds.  Following this update, the live view works although it takes a couple of seconds to load.  Cameras linked to my second Lilin DVR (older model with a different driver) load instantly.

The real problem is that on the current version of the iOS app, the snapshot view (multi camera grid) no longer works (although the live view now works) for these cameras (it still works for cameras attached to my other DVR) and all I see in the grid view for cameras attached to this particular DVR is a black square with a camera picture and a line through it… weird that what used to work no longer works and what didn’t work previously now works… no update to the driver!

incidentally these cameras still work perfectly on my T4s.

On 1/13/2022 at 8:53 AM, South Africa C4 user said:

iOS 321.50.0 (I think it was this release although it could conceivably have been the previous release) fixed (90%) a long standing issue that I have had with cameras connected via one of my Lilin DVRs but created a new issue… hopefully @Darin, C4 PM UI this could be easy to fix?

The problem that I had for a couple of years was that cameras on this DVR worked on T3s and T4s properly.  But on the iOS app the snapshot view (all cameras on one page) worked perfectly but when choosing the camera it would show a snapshot (not a live feed) and the snapshot would update every 10 seconds.  Following this update, the live view works although it takes a couple of seconds to load.  Cameras linked to my second Lilin DVR (older model with a different driver) load instantly.

The real problem is that on the current version of the iOS app, the snapshot view (multi camera grid) no longer works (although the live view now works) for these cameras (it still works for cameras attached to my other DVR) and all I see in the grid view for cameras attached to this particular DVR is a black square with a camera picture and a line through it… weird that what used to work no longer works and what didn’t work previously now works… no update to the driver!

incidentally these cameras still work perfectly on my T4s.

That's interesting. With 321.50, we fixed a number of camera bugs--mostly crashes. It appears though that we broke snapshots for your cameras. Could you send me some logs?

12 hours ago, ChrisHenderson said:

That's interesting. With 321.50, we fixed a number of camera bugs--mostly crashes. It appears though that we broke snapshots for your cameras. Could you send me some logs?

On 1/6/2022 at 6:44 PM, Darin, C4 PM UI said:

@msgreenf Thanks for bringing me into the conversation. I just chatted with the iOS team about this and these crashes are being caused by a crash in the media framework library that is used with the Control4 OS 3 app, we have an escalated ticket submitted to the library developer to address the issue and will release an updated iOS app with a fix as soon as it becomes available. 

Thank you both for working on iOS app camera issues - I had the same crashing issue discussed here and appreciate that being addressed.  Wondering if there's any update on the purple camera issue seen on M1 macs and raised by a number of people in other threads?  Not sure if that's on the C4 iOS side or a problem with the mac side but has been a consistent issue.

Hi @Dueport,
The purple camera issues on Apple silicon chips (M1) used in the new macs is being worked on.  It is an issue relates to the multimedia library we use and the way macs emulate iOS apps.  I don't have a current ETA on a fix, but it is being investigated and should be fixed in the coming months.

38 minutes ago, Darin, C4 PM UI said:

Hi @Dueport,
The purple camera issues on Apple silicon chips (M1) used in the new macs is being worked on.  It is an issue relates to the multimedia library we use and the way macs emulate iOS apps.  I don't have a current ETA on a fix, but it is being investigated and should be fixed in the coming months.

That's great news - thank you @Darin, C4 PM UI - really appreciate the quick update!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else been experiencing a bug where lighting scene favorites don't always show when launching the app on IOS? I keep having to fully close the app (swipe up in the app switcher) and relaunching it in order to see my lighting scene favorites. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 9:08 AM, Rob21 said:

Has anyone else been experiencing a bug where lighting scene favorites don't always show when launching the app on IOS? I keep having to fully close the app (swipe up in the app switcher) and relaunching it in order to see my lighting scene favorites. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

@Rob21 So you will launch the app and all your favorites show up except for lighting scenes, but then if you force close and relaunch they'll show up?   The next time this happens can you grab mobile app logs and PM them to me, so I can write a bug up for the iOS team to look into?

6 minutes ago, Darin, C4 PM UI said:

@Rob21 So you will launch the app and all your favorites show up except for lighting scenes, but then if you force close and relaunch they'll show up?   The next time this happens can you grab mobile app logs and PM them to me, so I can write a bug up for the iOS team to look into?

Yes this is exactly what happens. I will do some tests and send the log next time it happens. Thanks!

11 hours ago, Darin, C4 PM UI said:

@South Africa C4 user Today we released 322.5.0 this version includes the changes that @ChrisHendersonmentions above that should resolve your camera snapshot issue.  Can you update your app, test, and let us know if you are still seeing any camera issues?

Camera issues sorted! Thank you!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 11:58 AM, Darin, C4 PM UI said:

I have the app logs with this issue. I sent you a PM. Thank you!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.