C4 Forums | Control4

Sharp Roku TVs (made by Hisense) or other Roku TVs

zaphod

I recently bought two Sharp Roku TVs at Best Buy here in Canada.  It appears that the Sharp brand is now owned by Hisense in North American.  It seems that this TV may be sold under several brand names - at least Roku TVs are sold under the RCA, Hisense, TCL and Sharp names.

The models are the LC-43LBU591C and  LC-65LBU591C.  The TVs have wifi and ethernet and appear to be controllable via IP, in addition to IR - I tried adding them to my Harmony remote and it tries to make an IP connection.

Has anyone tried to use these with C4 yet?  Which driver did you use?

The remote is one of the newer small remotes that has very few keys - no number keys and does not have discrete buttons for inputs.  But it does appear that the TV has discrete input switching, or at least it does appear to with the Harmony remote.

The remote looks like this:

s-l640.jpg

Yes I made a IR driver for this TV, just volume up/down and power toggle. There is no way to integrate the Roku media player and an IR it is in the documentation under the Roku driver. But it is in another post I created and I've tried it on two different roku TV's a tcl and insignia. I just made the custom buttons to toggle volume and power.

2 hours ago, DarthData said:

You can switch inputs through the Roku driver very easily, it creates abunch of mini drivers and basically mirriors whatever channels you have as a subsection under that driver in the remote

Can you switch to the HDMI1, HDMI2, etc inputs with the Roku driver?  And I assume you mean the Roku IP driver as Roku appears to have a very well documented API.

It looks like the HDMI inputs show up as "apps" on the Roku TV.  For example, when I hit http://192.168.1.108:8060/query/apps, I get

<apps>
<app id="tvinput.hdmi1" type="tvin" version="1.0.0">SageTV</app>
<app id="tvinput.hdmi2" type="tvin" version="1.0.0">FireTV</app>
<app id="tvinput.dtv" type="tvin" version="1.0.0">Antenna TV</app>
<app id="12" subtype="ndka" type="appl" version="4.2.81179000">Netflix</app>
<app id="69091" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="3.0.10">4K Spotlight</app>
<app id="27181" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="2.2.210">Sky News</app>
<app id="50025" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="2.0.20181015">Google Play Movies</app>
<app id="2213" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="4.1.1609">Roku Media Player</app>
<app id="837" subtype="ndka" type="appl" version="1.0.70500272">YouTube</app>
<app id="151908" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="1.5.9">The Roku Channel</app>
<app id="20445" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="7.1.1">VEVO</app>
<app id="13535" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="5.3.10">Plex</app>
<app id="13" subtype="ndka" type="appl" version="10.4.2018101018">Amazon Prime Video</app>
<app id="27229" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="1.1.1373">NFB</app>
<app id="6119" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="2.0.4">PopcornFlix</app>
<app id="40299" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="1.6.167">Qello Concerts</app>
</apps>

So that is a good sign - it should be doable.

It won't let me post one of my pics but basically the last pic is of my TV and it literally mirriors everything I just have my inputs named, hdmi1=streaming box, hdmi2=computer hdmi3arc=receiver (which I control by cec no driver and works fine) and of course av, and antenna come stock and I don't use those

4 hours ago, rea said:

https://www.blackwiredesigns.com/store/c4-roku-ip/

I've seen this driver mentioned on here, but have yet to see anyone comment if they've had actually used it. The documentation states it works with Roku TVs and doesn't specify a brand so may be worth a try with the 72 hour trial. 

Anyone given this a try on here?

The regular Roku IP driver does that already automatically.

13 hours ago, DarthData said:

The regular Roku IP driver does that already automatically.

So this paid one doesn't include power on/off then? It's kind of hard to tell from the documentation. If not, seems like there is no reason not use the very good free driver. 

12 minutes ago, rea said:

So this paid one doesn't include power on/off then? It's kind of hard to tell from the documentation. If not, seems like there is no reason not use the very good free driver. 

Ver 1.8.4

Added- Support for select Roku TV models with Roku OS 7.7.0 or higher

Is Roku TV – Tells whether is Roku TV or not
TV Is Supported – Display of whether Roku TV is Supported

The driver will tell you if the TV is supported

23 hours ago, mallom said:

Ver 1.8.4

Added- Support for select Roku TV models with Roku OS 7.7.0 or higher

Is Roku TV – Tells whether is Roku TV or not
TV Is Supported – Display of whether Roku TV is Supported

The driver will tell you if the TV is supported

Does this clarify whether volume control and power on/off is supported by IP driver?  I am using a combination of IR plus free Roku driver.  It would be nice to get rid of IR.  Can anyone confirm what the blackwire driver does?

12 minutes ago, thegizzard said:

Does this clarify whether volume control and power on/off is supported by IP driver?  I am using a combination of IR plus free Roku driver.  It would be nice to get rid of IR.  Can anyone confirm what the blackwire driver does?

The description is not very clear if it will support On/Off. 
The best way would be contacting the developer via email and provide your TV model number. 

Or add the driver to your project, activate the trial license and see if it will work

The Blackwire IP driver does turn the TV on and off on the Sharp as well as the newer TCL as well as switch inputs perfectly.  I've tried on both today.  I'm still trying to figure out how to get the mini apps to work with it, as I am brand new to C4.

On 11/19/2018 at 6:19 PM, rea said:

https://www.blackwiredesigns.com/store/c4-roku-ip/

I've seen this driver mentioned on here, but have yet to see anyone comment if they've had actually used it. The documentation states it works with Roku TVs and doesn't specify a brand so may be worth a try with the 72 hour trial. 

Anyone given this a try on here?

So far we have had success with tcl, Hisense, insignia brands of RokuTVs. Wifi or hardwired. Anything manufactured 2017 or later supports power commands

On 11/21/2018 at 12:19 PM, thegizzard said:

Yes, it does volume control. Input select, app select, auto room on. Auto source selection. (If you manually turn TV on with Roku remote and select hdmi1 and it is your cable box, when you pick up the Control4 remote it will have selected cable as the source for the room and you will be  controlling the cable box)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.